Runs About 20 Sec And Dies

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Nick_240
Car: Playing guitar, and cars

Hello everybody, I have a 1990 240sx with a ka24e motor I just replaced the timing chain guide. I had a little trouble with the timing but with a little luck I got it back in tune. After getting that right I decided to drive back to my house about 5 or 6 MI, but i only made it about 4. The car ran fine until there and now it only runs for about 20-30 seconds and then sputters and dies... I have no clue what could be the problem, I tried a fuel filter but it seems to be getting gas. Has anyone else had a problem like this, any information would be grand... Thank's to EVERYONE!!!

Nick

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Nick_240 wrote:Hello everybody, I have a 1990 240sx with a ka24e motor I just replaced the timing chain guide. I had a little trouble with the timing but with a little luck I got it back in tune. After getting that right I decided to drive back to my house about 5 or 6 MI, but i only made it about 4. The car ran fine until there and now it only runs for about 20-30 seconds and then sputters and dies... I have no clue what could be the problem, I tried a fuel filter but it seems to be getting gas. Has anyone else had a problem like this, any information would be grand... Thank's to EVERYONE!!!

Nick

Well this isn't thought out (my reply) but you might have water in your gasoline. And that makes my 200th post :D Or you also might have a air leak somewhere after the mass air flow sensor, causing your engine to run extra lean until it stalls. Can you keep it alive if you rev it up?

Nick_240

I have tried to keep it going and no it just sputters and dies, then won't start for about 10-15 minutes. But it'll run fine, like no sputtering seems to have power for about 20 sec then dies and I can't keep it goin.....

Thank's a bunch.....

GodDrivesA240sx

Nick_240 wrote:I have tried to keep it going and no it just sputters and dies, then won't start for about 10-15 minutes. But it'll run fine, like no sputtering seems to have power for about 20 sec then dies and I can't keep it goin.....

Thank's a bunch.....

Well rubbing alcohol will soak up the water in your tank, if that's the problem, or you could just go to a parts store and buy some water remover. Which is essentially just rubbing alcohol. Did you buy some gas at a cheap place?

Nick_240

I only use premium gasoline, but i did buy some gas from Space Age Fuels. It was pretty cheap, i don't know about the quality though. That very well could be the problem, because I only had about 1/6 of a tank of gas in it... I have had it taken into the shop now should hear back from them tomorrow, thanks for all the helpful info... I have only had the car for about 3 weeks and I'm sure you'll be able to inform me on any problems i run into....

Thank's a bunch...

And yea I think i saw a 240 in the clouds with Jesus himself behind the wheel. :)

GodDrivesA240sx

Nick_240 wrote:I only use premium gasoline, but i did buy some gas from Space Age Fuels. It was pretty cheap, i don't know about the quality though. That very well could be the problem, because I only had about 1/6 of a tank of gas in it... I have had it taken into the shop now should hear back from them tomorrow, thanks for all the helpful info... I have only had the car for about 3 weeks and I'm sure you'll be able to inform me on any problems i run into....

Thank's a bunch...

And yea I think i saw a 240 in the clouds with Jesus himself behind the wheel. :)

Yeah, cheap places have crappy a** tanks and get water in them when it rains. The car will start back if it has water in the tank too. It's just trace amounts but enough to f*** it up :)

Nick_240

Well, I guess its not the gas, but its the distributor. I must have tweaked it when i bolted the oil pump in misaligned with the distributor bolted in, I think it pushed the whole distributor shaft up and f****d something up inside... Really sux... :angry: $600 in damage, distributors aren't cheap.... so let this be a lesson, don't bolt in the oil pump when the distributor is bolted in, oil pump first. Hopefully I'm not the first person to do this, although it is my first time...

Thanks for all the help...

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”