Running without a spare? [portable air compressor]

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
elric
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

In my 35+ years of driving, I've never had a blowout. All flats were slow leaks.

Been looking at removing my spare and carrying a 12v air compressor.

Is this reasonable? Recommendations for a reasonable air compressor? Not one for air bags / suspension like on an off-road 4x4...

:eekdance

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Why?

It's a generic suburban stuff/people-mover. You're not reducing weight or gaining anything by removing it.

Jonzini
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

What's the reasoning behind removing the spare? I've tried the little 12V compressors with little luck. I thought they were really slow and loud. I'm a cyclist and keep a long-throw, floor pump in the back. I've had to use it a few times over the years and it works well.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Jonzini wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:19 pm
What's the reasoning behind removing the spare? I've tried the little 12V compressors with little luck. I thought they were really slow and loud. I'm a cyclist and keep a long-throw, floor pump in the back. I've had to use it a few times over the years and it works well.
+1. Not only slow and loud, but if the flat detaches from the bead on the rim, it won't move enough air to re-seat it. Bad idea.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I agree with elric, ever since I purchased my 2009, I never had a true flat. Just a stuck nail a few times. I did have AAA, but never used it for the Rogue.

Heck, I just took my spare and left it in the garage nearly a year ago so I would have more storage space.

I also have a 12volt air compressor but I also keep that in the garage when i need air. :lolling:

I probably used a spare maybe once in my life and I'm a old fart. :gotme :dance

Seriously, I especially feel I will never get a full flat on my all-terrains.

As for air compressors, get a sturdy one made of steel as scotty suggested. I guess so you can throw it around a trunk.

My 2 cents. :whistle:

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

elric wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:20 am
In my 35+ years of driving, I've never had a blowout. All flats were slow leaks.

Been looking at removing my spare and carrying a 12v air compressor.

Is this reasonable? Recommendations for a reasonable air compressor? Not one for air bags / suspension like on an off-road 4x4...

:eekdance
NO! Don't do this! My MDX didn't came with a spare tire and I have to drive carefully as a result of having no spare. Keep that spare donut. And those 14-16 Rogues are stupid light already, no need to make it even more light. You'd probably run the risk of rolling over.

oldnissanguy
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SE
2023 Nissan Rogue S

One of my sons owns a tire shop. You'd be amazed at how many people have to pay to have their cars towed in because they don't have a spare and they've destroyed a tire.

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

oldnissanguy wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:01 am
One of my sons owns a tire shop. You'd be amazed at how many people have to pay to have their cars towed in because they don't have a spare and they've destroyed a tire.
I used to work at a shop. You'd be surprised at why people brought their vehicles in: it doesn't go or it doesn't stop. 90% of the population has no clue how to look at a tire and judge whether it needs to be checked for proper pressure. Bulging sidewall? Might be low. Uneven wear? Could be tire pressure or alignment. Checking their oil or bringing it in when the brakes first start making noise? I LOL in your general direction.

If you have roadside assistance or AAA, you have free towing. Makes for a longer day, but you didn't have to pay for that tow. That flat that tore up could have been avoided with a quick walk-around. But that's just asking too much, right?

II Kings 9:20
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue SV

Many cars today don't come with a spare so this is not a novel idea. All of those cars TMK come with a compressor and a sealant. Avoid Fix-A-Flat, Slime is a superior product. I keep a compressor in all of my cars and some are better than others. When I had a flat and really needed it, if failed because the plug wouldn't stay in the receptacle and the hose wouldn't stay attached without me holding it. I needed 4 hands.

I threw away that junk and got the Hyper Tough brand from Walmart which has screw threads rather than the snap on device. These still take a ridiculous time to pump up a flat. I like the idea of a foot pump preferably with a screw on hose attachment.

For those who carry a spare; when is the last time you checked the tire pressure in the spare? If you haven't, it is too low to be useful.

oldnissanguy
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SE
2023 Nissan Rogue S

One other consideration. If you put any kind of sealant in your tire and the tire survives, the sealant must be removed before the tire can be repaired. It's a messy job and you get to pay extra for that.

oldnissanguy wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:20 pm
One other consideration. If you put any kind of sealant in your tire and the tire survives, the sealant must be removed before the tire can be repaired. It's a messy job and you get to pay extra for that.
I would only use slime as a last resort. SLime claims to be TPMS safe. My dad used it and no problems. I got rid of all of my Fix A Flat. My Chrysler Pacifica and Volvo S60 included a "slime-like" sealent and a compressor n lieu of a spare. I'm getting a foot pump because those electric air compressors are very iffy and very slow.

drummerguy
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

I carry a spare tire and a good 12 volt air compressor..........and yes I have experienced a couple of blowouts over the many years of driving but mainly slow leaks...I believe in being prepared for the unexpected.

C-ya wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:21 am
oldnissanguy wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:01 am
I used to work at a shop. You'd be surprised at why people 90% of the population has no clue how to look at a tire and judge whether it needs to be checked for proper pressure. Bulging sidewall? Might be low. Uneven wear? Could be tire pressure or alignment.
I’ll add that 95 to 99% probably have no idea how to read a tire date code. As you probably know, there is a four digit code on all modern tires and it is recommended the tires be replaced after five years somewhat argue maybe six or seven years regardless of tread condition or sidewall condition. Aging alone causes significant breakdown of the chemical composition in the rubber and handling can be drastically affected. Old tires were a contributing factor in Paul Walker’s crash in that Porsche Carrera GT. The low mile tires with great tread were more than 10 years old.
Attachments
CB8EA83D-A99E-4C69-B1F9-81E0DE67BF68.jpeg

casperfun

That would be a bloody shame if those tires killed Mr.Walker, I always felt that if his friend wanted to drive a tad fast while in the car with Paul, they should have gone to a wide open race track and not in a cluttered urban city area.

I think his daughter sued the car manufacturer because something was not mechanically correct to my recollection.

People easily lose control of fast sports cars all the time, but less likelihood of hitting something on a speedway. :werd:

casperfun wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:09 pm
That would be a bloody shame if those tires killed Mr.Walker, I always felt that if his friend wanted to drive a tad fast while in the car with Paul, they should have gone to a wide open race track and not in a cluttered urban city area.

I think his daughter sued the car manufacturer because something was not mechanically correct to my recollection.

People easily lose control of fast sports cars all the time, but less likelihood of hitting something on a speedway. :werd:
I agree. I’ve been to Mid Ohio twice and the thrill of driving on the track is so superior to going fast on the road it becomes pointless to go fast on the street.

The estate sued Porsche for not having stability control while the technology had been around for several years prior. Porsche won and speed was the major factor. Tire age was not addressed. I read a separate analysis unrelated to the lawsuit that indicated old tires become greasy at speed when pushed to the limit were a factor in the crash. Speed is still ultimately responsible because if they were going much slower, it would not of happened. By the same token, presumably with new tires with the proper grip, it wouldn’t have happened either. In fact, it was reported that a Toyota Prius could negotiate that same pass at the same speed without crashing.

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

II Kings 9:20 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:32 pm
I’ll add that 95 to 99% probably have no idea how to read a tire date code. As you probably know, there is a four digit code on all modern tires and it is recommended the tires be replaced after five years somewhat argue maybe six or seven years regardless of tread condition or sidewall condition. Aging alone causes significant breakdown of the chemical composition in the rubber and handling can be drastically affected. Old tires were a contributing factor in Paul Walker’s crash in that Porsche Carrera GT. The low mile tires with great tread were more than 10 years old.
Yep. I have replaced or will replace 13 tires in a year due to aging out rather than wearing out. Four on my Touareg, four on the boat trailer (still need to get a new spare), three on the camper (single axle with a spare), and two on my motorcycle. I live in Michigan, so I don't get to ride as much as I did when I lived in Florida.

C-ya wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:58 pm
Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:32 pm
Yep. I have replaced or will replace 13 tires in a year due to aging out rather than wearing out. Four on my Touareg, four on the boat trailer (still need to get a new spare), three on the camper (single axle with a spare), and two on my motorcycle. I live in Michigan, so I don't get to ride as much as I did when I lived in Florida.
Wow. That’s a lot of coin for all those tires. You gotta pay to play.

casperfun

Or drive more often. The scary part is you can probably buy a tire with the cost of filling a tank these days.

Just think, 4 tankful of gas can get you a new set of tires. Thanks Mr. Putin. :bowrofl:

casperfun wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:54 pm
Or drive more often. The scary part is you can probably buy a tire with the cost of filling a tank these days.

Just think, 4 tankful of gas can get you a new set of tires. Thanks Mr. Putin. :bowrofl:
Indeed true for some areas. These 19-22” tires cost a fortune easily $150-$250 and a 20 gallon tank at $8 a gallon in Cali would be $160.

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I second to "NOT" use the slime.

I used the slime once. And when that didn't work, I took the tire to a local tire repair shop. And he refused to fix it because it had the slime on it. He told me, it would have been cheaper to just toss on the spare and then bring him the tire. He could have fixed it for cheap with an internal patch. Since then I stopped using slime, and just make sure I have a spare.

Also, I second the bicycle pump. (I have a foot pump style with a built-in gauge) I keep a bicycle pump in each of my cars.

The tire guys say it is better filling your tires with the foot pump rather than taking your car to the gas station to fill up the tires with air because the gas stations probably don't drain the water from their compressor tanks. So you end up pumping water into your tires that way. A bicycle pump doesn't have water collected in it.

And I can fill up my tires whenever, wherever. If I am waiting for my wife somewhere, I can just check my tires right there and then. No need to make a trip to the gas station. And no need to pay to full my tires with water.

It really comes in handy when camping. No need to drive out of the campground. A buddy had a slow leak camping. So we just kept pumping up his tire with the bicycle pump for the week rather than him having to drive out of the park every couple of days.

And it is great to have on-hand if you need your spare and you haven't checked the spare's pressure in a while. (That happens for me and my minivan because the spare is under the vehicle and a pain to get at.) With the pump, if the spare is low, I can just pump it up.

But getting back to the OP, I would suggest keeping the spare. Sure, you might get away with not having it. But when you need it, it can really be nice.

TheRogue wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:46 am
I second to "NOT" use the slime.

I used the slime once. And when that didn't work, I took the tire to a local tire repair shop. And he refused to fix it because it had the slime on it. He told me, it would have been cheaper to just toss on the spare and then bring him the tire. He could have fixed it for cheap with an internal patch. Since then I stopped using slime, and just make sure I have a spare.

Also, I second the bicycle pump. (I have a foot pump style with a built-in gauge) I keep a bicycle pump in each of my cars.

The tire guys say it is better filling your tires with the foot pump rather than taking your car to the gas station to fill up the tires with air because the gas stations probably don't drain the water from their compressor tanks. So you end up pumping water into your tires that way. A bicycle pump doesn't have water collected in it.

And I can fill up my tires whenever, wherever. If I am waiting for my wife somewhere, I can just check my tires right there and then. No need to make a trip to the gas station. And no need to pay to full my tires with water.

It really comes in handy when camping. No need to drive out of the campground. A buddy had a slow leak camping. So we just kept pumping up his tire with the bicycle pump for the week rather than him having to drive out of the park every couple of days.

And it is great to have on-hand if you need your spare and you haven't checked the spare's pressure in a while. (That happens for me and my minivan because the spare is under the vehicle and a pain to get at.) With the pump, if the spare is low, I can just pump it up.

But getting back to the OP, I would suggest keeping the spare. Sure, you might get away with not having it. But when you need it, it can really be nice.
Great advice on the slime but many cars from the factory come without a spare and don’t have a spare option. Both my Chrysler Pacifica (which had a spare option requiring you to buy a new internal trim panel and a spare mounting kit) and my 2015 Volvo among many others didn’t have a spare. Both had an air compressor and a bottle of sealant very similar to slime. More and more cars today are going no spare as and inflator sealant kits. Desperate times call for desperate measures and in that situation I would certainly use it if the tire didn’t hold air from the compressor alone. BMW for years has not had a spare or inflator kit but those models use run-flat tires like my 2013 X5.

I’m definitely going to get a foot pump. Those battery powered air pumps are too iffy and unreliable just when you need it most.

TheRogue

Good point on cars not coming with spares.

Our Dodge Grand Caravan didn't come with a spare. Something I didn't even know when we were buying it. But we were buying it from my wife's work, so the guys there pointed it out and even ordered us the kit and spare to add to our minivan before we got it. It has come in handy on more than one occasion.

That is one thing I will have to keep in mind when we have to buy another car. The area around mine and my wife's work is industrial. And I get lots of flats around those areas. Probably 1-2 times a year at least. Nails falling off of construction trucks, etc. If I can get a real spare (even a donut) I think I'd prefer that because the slime doesn't always work.

It just happened to me again a couple of months back. I come out and my car has a flat tire. Because I have a spare, it takes me about 15 minutes to swap it out. In the meantime I've txt'd my wife. She works at a dealership / garage and she's asked the guys to look at the tire when I get there. I drive over, and they grab the tire and car and fix the tire in about 15 minutes. If I had used the slime, it may not have worked. I might have had to wait for a tow truck to tow me to my wife's work. It's at times like this that I appreciate having a real spare tire.

RE: bicycle pump ... yeah. I had a plug-in pump. But for that, you have to have the car running for it to work. And the wires are so thin that I could see it getting broken pretty easily. For battery ones, you have to make sure you have good batteries. The benefit of the bicycle pump is that it is simpler. (Less to go wrong.) You don't need electricity for it to run. And so not only can I fill up my car tires. I can use it to fill up the inflatables at the beach as well. And the bicycle pump is a lot more quiet.

NOTE: Just to add to this conversation . . . I get flats so often that I also have breaker bars in each of my cars and the correct sized socket on each bar. This makes it really quick to swap out tires. And reduces the wear and tear on the nuts. And . . . makes it possible for my daughter to swap tires out if necessary. And . . . in my Rogue I have a torque wrench. And in each car, I have on a piece of paper in each driver-size door pocket the recommended torque setting for the wheel nuts. LOL. Can you tell I've had to swap a lot of flat tires along the way. LOL.

TheRogue wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:31 am
Good point on cars not coming with spares.

Our Dodge Grand Caravan didn't come with a spare. Something I didn't even know when we were buying it. But we were buying it from my wife's work, so the guys there pointed it out and even ordered us the kit and spare to add to our minivan before we got it. It has come in handy on more than one occasion.

That is one thing I will have to keep in mind when we have to buy another car. The area around mine and my wife's work is industrial. And I get lots of flats around those areas. Probably 1-2 times a year at least. Nails falling off of construction trucks, etc. If I can get a real spare (even a donut) I think I'd prefer that because the slime doesn't always work.

It just happened to me again a couple of months back. I come out and my car has a flat tire. Because I have a spare, it takes me about 15 minutes to swap it out. In the meantime I've txt'd my wife. She works at a dealership / garage and she's asked the guys to look at the tire when I get there. I drive over, and they grab the tire and car and fix the tire in about 15 minutes. If I had used the slime, it may not have worked. I might have had to wait for a tow truck to tow me to my wife's work. It's at times like this that I appreciate having a real spare tire.

RE: bicycle pump ... yeah. I had a plug-in pump. But for that, you have to have the car running for it to work. And the wires are so thin that I could see it getting broken pretty easily. For battery ones, you have to make sure you have good batteries. The benefit of the bicycle pump is that it is simpler. (Less to go wrong.) You don't need electricity for it to run. And so not only can I fill up my car tires. I can use it to fill up the inflatables at the beach as well. And the bicycle pump is a lot more quiet.

NOTE: Just to add to this conversation . . . I get flats so often that I also have breaker bars in each of my cars and the correct sized socket on each bar. This makes it really quick to swap out tires. And reduces the wear and tear on the nuts. And . . . makes it possible for my daughter to swap tires out if necessary. And . . . in my Rogue I have a torque wrench. And in each car, I have on a piece of paper in each driver-size door pocket the recommended torque setting for the wheel nuts. LOL. Can you tell I've had to swap a lot of flat tires along the way. LOL.
My 17 Pacifica had a spare option. There should be one available for Dodge. The Pacifica had a dedicated spot to mount it in the left rear and a separate plastic trim piece with a circular shape to replace the stock unit that had some built-in shelves on the side. It was not cheap but getting flats as often as you do, it’s probably worth it.

Carrying a breaker bar is a new one on me. If wheels are torqued properly, a breaker bar shouldn’t really be necessary. Archimedes said “give me a lever long enough and I can move the world“. I like the idea of keeping lug nut torque in a handy spot. Not a bad idea to tape it on the B pillar right near the tire pressure placard.

I don’t carry a torque wrench but I have two in my garage and I do check torque anytime tire service is done. In fact, I have carried my torque wrench to the tire shop and checked it in the parking lot before taking off. Both my brother and dad had wheels almost fall off after Corky failed to tighten the lug nuts. My dad was on the freeway when it happened and he pulled over got to a “Jiffy Lube” just before closing and they put the vehicle on a lift and both front wheels tipped in held on by one lug nut. He had hubcaps and the nuts were rolling around in the hubcap.

TheRogue

RE: Spare + Kit. Yeah. I have so many flats over the years that I would probably break down and buy the kit and spare tire. LOL.

RE: Breaker bar. That took me years to finally think it was a good idea. LOL. Over the years, using the tool that comes with the car to take the lug nuts off, I've really damaged the lug nuts. Especially with the wrench that came with my Dodge Grand Caravan. Rounded off the lug nuts so much that I couldn't get them off anymore. And so, if I got a flat, I wouldn't be able to swap the tire myself. (Not a situation I want to be in.) So I bought a full new set of lug nuts for my van and got a socket and breaker bar at the same time. That way I would reduce wear and tear on the lug nuts. And it is so nice to have the proper tools. And since I leave the breaker bar with socket in the car, it is there when I need it -- ie when I get a flat. :) Makes it so I can swap a flat in 15 minutes. :) But also when swapping from summer to winter tires it is not so much of a pain anymore as well. LOL. NOTE: In the old days the tire wrench they gave you seemed better quality and I don't remember damaging lug nuts so much in the old days. But now-a-days, the tools seem so flimsy.

But . . . the kicker is when my daughter started driving. With the small little wrench that comes with the car . . . even if she stood on the wrench to try to take the lug nuts off the wheel, there was no way she'd be able to do it easily. With the tools provided, there'd be a good chance she wouldn't be able to change a flat. Having the breaker bar makes it possible for her to change tires if she needs to.

So in our Rogue (which is the car she drives), I have a set of wheel chocks, the breaker bar (with correct sized socket) and the torque wrench all in the area around the spare tire. And the bicycle foot pump (with built-in gauge) under the passenger seat. So none of that takes up any passenger or cargo space. :)

Side note: I also keep a jug of windshield washer fluid on the passenger side of the trunk. I just removed the little cover there and a jug of windshield washer fluid squeezes into that spot and stays put. It doesn't slide around the trunk. So she has that ready-to-go as well.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

TheRogue wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:19 am
Side note: I also keep a jug of windshield washer fluid on the passenger side of the trunk. I just removed the little cover there and a jug of windshield washer fluid squeezes into that spot and stays put. It doesn't slide around the trunk. So she has that ready-to-go as well.
Agree on pretty much all points. In my case, I have a tonneau cover I take on and off on a fairly regular basis. I can't put the jug of windshield fluid in that spot since that's where the tonneau cover goes when i remove it, so instead I use stretch cords hooked to those utility loops in the trunk and have the jug strapped to the side of the wall. Also works for other things you don't want to be sliding around in the back.

TheRogue

KoiMaxx wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:52 pm
Agree on pretty much all points. In my case, I have a tonneau cover I take on and off on a fairly regular basis. I can't put the jug of windshield fluid in that spot since that's where the tonneau cover goes when i remove it, so instead I use stretch cords hooked to those utility loops in the trunk and have the jug strapped to the side of the wall. Also works for other things you don't want to be sliding around in the back.
+1

Your mentioning the stretch cords . . . I have a pair going across the floor of my trunk to hold our shopping bins in place when they are empty.

But . . . you got my thinking about going along the side. I have a big starter battery that I keep in the car just in case we need to jump start the car. Right now it just rolls around the trunk . . . so I've been keeping it in the foot well of the back seat. I'm going to have to take a look to see if I can strap it in somewhere in the trunk!

As for the OP . . . the OP was talking about reducing weight in the car. And I've just talked about adding weight! LOL.

What is everyone's thoughts on reduced rolling resistance tires? Do they work? Is that another way to get better gas mileage? Maybe not ideal for snow and ice?

As for gas mileage . . . I've been happy with the gas mileage with our 2011 Nissan Rogue. Not as good as the 2000 Nissan Altima we had. But the Rogue is a bigger car and can carry a lot more. And our Rogue definitely gets better gas mileage than our mini van. LOL.

TheRogue wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:26 pm
KoiMaxx wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:52 pm
+1

Your mentioning the stretch cords . . . I have a pair going across the floor of my trunk to hold our shopping bins in place when they are empty.

But . . . you got my thinking about going along the side. I have a big starter battery that I keep in the car just in case we need to jump start the car. Right now it just rolls around the trunk . . . so I've been keeping it in the foot well of the back seat. I'm going to have to take a look to see if I can strap it in somewhere in the trunk!

As for the OP . . . the OP was talking about reducing weight in the car. And I've just talked about adding weight! LOL.

What is everyone's thoughts on reduced rolling resistance tires? Do they work? Is that another way to get better gas mileage? Maybe not ideal for snow and ice?

As for gas mileage . . . I've been happy with the gas mileage with our 2011 Nissan Rogue. Not as good as the 2000 Nissan Altima we had. But the Rogue is a bigger car and can carry a lot more. And our Rogue definitely gets better gas mileage than our mini van. LOL.
LRR tires offer marginal gains in MPG and you may give up a couple of feet in longer braking distances.

TheRogue

Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:39 pm
LRR tires offer marginal gains in MPG and you may give up a couple of feet in longer braking distances.
This can work for a lot of people. But not something I am considering here in Toronto, ON, Canada. Too much slush and snow. If I lived in California I'd consider something like this. I am thinking of trying the other compromise though. All Weather Tires.

As for better gas mileage . . . the other options is to get a smaller vehicle.

This has actually crossed my mind.

I won't sell our Rogue just to get better gas mileage. But . . . our Rogue is a 2011. So 11 years old. Eventually I have to get another vehicle.

So I've actually been looking at the Qashqai / Rogue Sport.

Slightly smaller vehicle. Smaller trunk. But also smaller engine.

We have been buying used. So it would be based on availability. But AWD is available in the Qashqai / Rogue Sport. And sunroof. (I've really enjoyed that in our Rogue LOL.) And I think you can fit a full size spare in the trunk (although I'd live with a donut if I had to. That's all that fits in our minivan.)

So, this could be one way (down the road) to keep the spare but get better gas mileage.

@TheRogue I use all weather tires, specifically 3PMSF rated tires, not “all seasons” tires. I currently have Michelin Cross Climate, Toyo Celsius, and Goodyear Weather ready on 3 of my vehicles. Several other brands are available. I live in the snow belt and these are the only tires I buy now.

I have used dedicated snow tires in the past including Bridgestone Bozack, Nokian Nordman, General Altimax Arctic, and Dunlop Winter tires. They are better then 3PMSF under extreme circumstances.

While the 3PMSF tires are not a dedicated snow tire,
they are so good in the snow that I know longer need to use separate snow tires and I live up a 10% grade that is over a mile long. A true snow tire will indeed outperform these tires and virtually every test, but in my experience, 3PMSF are close. I’ve been using the 3PMSF tires now for three years and they are superb. They are year round tires and some have 60,000 mile tread warranty.

I have no plans to switch out to snow tires in December and back to all seasons in April going forward. The one situation where I might consider true snow tires is if I have a rear wheel drive car and that extra bit of traction a snow tire provides going up my hill to get home could make the difference. I have no plans to get any RWD car that I would ever drive in the snow. An example might be a 69 mustang Mach 1.
Attachments
C78151A1-AB4B-47FD-8EF9-62A318C0DEFE.jpeg

TheRogue

@II Kings 9:20
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:32 am
@TheRogue I use all weather tires, specifically 3PMSF rated tires, not “all seasons” tires. I currently have Michelin Cross Climate, Toyo Celsius, and Goodyear Weather ready on 3 of my vehicles. Several other brands are available. I live in the snow belt and these are the only tires I buy now.
+1
Thank you for taking the time to give your experience with the All Weather tires.

I finally put the order in for some General Altimax 365AW All Weather tires for my mini van.

(I need tires as my All Season tires on my van are done.)

For me, I've been humming and hawing on this for a couple of years now.

But I'm going to try it.

I figure . . . I live outside a major city, just off the highway. So 99% of my driving is on roads that even when it snows, they have been cleared and salted. And the AW tires seem to only fall behind true winter tires specifically on driving on ice or deep(ish) snow. On salted wet roads they seem to hold up some.

And I will still have a couple of years left on my winter tires, so I can fall back on those if I want.

And I've already checked with my insurance company that the All Weather tires still count towards getting a winter tire discount. Our contact @ the insurance company said that they do because they have the 3-peak-mountain-symbol on it.

And . . . I am going to have to decide what to do with my Rogue this winter as my winter tires on my Rogue are now done. LOL.

--------

RE: Getting back to the OP . . .

Getting back to the OP . . . I was thinking the other day, the other benefit of keeping a pump (manual or powered) in your car is that it can help out when you get multiple flats.

That happened to me a couple of years back.

I must have run over a nail because both tires on the passenger side went flat. But I only got 1 spare! LOL. So I put the spare on the front and pumped up the back with my manual pump so I could limp over to the tire place to have the tires patched.

:)

Return to “Rogue Forum”