Running only 3 cylinders

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
DizzyKitty
Car: 2000 Maxima SE- in pieces in yard...
2014 Versa Note - Wife's vroom vroom machine

Sup guys, I got a really dumb question I figured I'd throw out there. I have an opportunity to buy an m30 that uses the same engine as the z31. Problem is, one of the exhaust manifold s broke off.

Now I like this car, but I don't want to pay for a tow back to my place. I also don't want to drive back home the way it is, I have to take a ferry. So at work I was wondering the feasibility of drilling out studs in a Walmart parking lot or something when I had a stroke of dumb genious, why not disconnect fuel and spark to those cylinders?

Here is my question to you all... What damage would I do to the car if I do this? How long could a car potentially run like this without major issues. Is there an easier way to get the car home that I am missing? Thanks in advance!

-dizzy

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Yeah, doesn't work that way.

Truth be told, that should be a $500 car, and towing (if you really really want the car) is the right way to do it.

This is when a AAA membership is handy. Otherwise, you *could* just drive it with the manifold hanging in place. It'll be loud, but go easy and limp it home. She won't move on 3 cylinders.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

X2, the car may well not go over 10 mph and would likely shake your face off in vibration. Longer than a minute or two under load and the crank may crack.

Tow it, you are not going to do anything but further damage drilling with engine in car, broken exhaust parts are hardened by the heat and notorious for ruining parts when the drill bit drifts way off the hard part (stud) to eat the much softer cast iron (head) to the side. That much drilling you want the head off car to have any hope of getting it all done right.

How does somebody even manage to do that, break an entire manifold off?? That screams to me at least a car I would NOT buy. Head pipe yes, entire manifold? No way. It suggests that a lot more will be broken.

DizzyKitty
Car: 2000 Maxima SE- in pieces in yard...
2014 Versa Note - Wife's vroom vroom machine

Lol thanks for the reply guys. I figured it was a stupid as hell idea, I just figured I would ask in case someone came back with a, "oh hell yea man, I do that all the time!" I just didn't know the M30 existed before I saw the advertisement for it and sorta felt the urge to make a slew of bad Ideas.

I guess I miss my rwd Nissans of the past and I am out looking for a new one. Though there are a lot in my area, they tend to be in similar shape as this M30, or suffer from a hefty ricer tax.

Friggin bummer, back to the classifieds... Thanks again!

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”