Running lights, chime, and interior lights will not turn off

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
jcoopr
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX

Just wondering if I can get some insight. My 92 S13 hatch's running lights, chime, and interior lights will stay on even with the key completely out unless I disconnect the battery entirely. The headlights work properly and only turn on when I flip the headlight switch. BUT the headlight lift motors make clicking sounds too and get really warm unless I disconnect the battery as well.

Both accessory relays have been checked and they work. When I pulled fuse 18 (exterior lighting fuse) in the passenger fuse box everything stayed on. But when I pulled fuse 13 (interior accessory fuse) everything shut off, including the exterior lights (???) minus the headlight motors still clicking.

Is there any other relay or connection I should be checking? Or am I just gonna have to look for a short and/or a previous owner's bad wiring job? This car has been messed with by former owners and I've already had to undo their mistakes.

Thank you.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's no direct link and no relays involved, and the running lamps only have a direct connection to the battery through the combination switch. But, the illumination runs off the same fuse as the running lamps, and those wires run all over the cabin. So I'd say you're most likely looking at a crossed circuit someplace in the cabin between the fuse 13 circuit and the illumination circuit, which is then back-feeding to the running lights. Could be something in the Timer box, those are spaghetti and interface with both the lighting system and some of the accessories.

jcoopr
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX

Copy. Guess I just gotta do some digging.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”