Running 8 gauge amp wire

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
MikeS14240sx

Ok well I've been looking for a good place to run the wire through the firewall and well haven't had much luck. Everything looks to hard to get to. The gromet for the ecu wiring harness has an elbow in it which would make it hard to run it through. I've also tried the gromets for the heater lines(i believe) but i can't find where the lines end up on the inside of the car. Has anyone found a place on a s14 to run a wire through the firewall? I'm tring to stay away from drilling holes.

Thanks

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

MikeS14240sx wrote:Ok well I've been looking for a good place to run the wire through the firewall and well haven't had much luck. Everything looks to hard to get to. The gromet for the ecu wiring harness has an elbow in it which would make it hard to run it through. I've also tried the gromets for the heater lines(i believe) but i can't find where the lines end up on the inside of the car. Has anyone found a place on a s14 to run a wire through the firewall? I'm tring to stay away from drilling holes.

Thanks
I had to drill one :( put it under the brake master cylinder sorta..I think..I'll check later to make sure :)

MasterMan
Car: nothing running at the moment city buses "uck here

what year car? i have a 91' and there was a hole right there.. took me 10 mins to run the wire.. its ez :)

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

MasterMan wrote:what year car? i have a 91' and there was a hole right there.. took me 10 mins to run the wire.. its ez :)
95...I couldn't find a hole anywhere on it. On my 89 there was a hole on the passenger floorboard side that worked great.

MikeS14240sx

I have a 98, looks like I'll be drill a hole.:(

egofreak73

i had the same problem that many of you are having. i did not have to drill, if you look in the pasengerside firewall, you will see a big grommet for your ecuand all other electrical wires. i poked a screwdriver in it and ran my wire through it. the wire comes out on the passenger side floor, you just have to feel around for it. i ended up running it up past the glovebox and under my steering column and down the driver side door. The worst part of installing the stereo was the damn stock system, i had to run new wires to every speaker because of the stock amps that i was not using. ah well, its all good now.LaterMike

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

i ran mine on the passenger side through the aforementioned grommet.

MikeS14240sx

egofreak73 wrote:i had the same problem that many of you are having. i did not have to drill, if you look in the pasengerside firewall, you will see a big grommet for your ecuand all other electrical wires. i poked a screwdriver in it and ran my wire through it.
Sounds like you have an S13. Like I said in the first post the gromet for the ecu on the s14 has an elbow in it which would make it hard to run the wire through the right angle in the gromet.

[quote=" SlowFiveOh i ran mine on the passenger side through the aforementioned grommet.[/quote]What is a aforementioned grommet?

I'm still open to good ideas though.:thumbup

Thanks a lot guys, keep'm coming:help

egofreak73

i have an s14, its a 95, im not sure if they made any differences between 95-96 and 97-98 but the grommet i have has an elbow, but i poked a screwdriver through the bottom part of the grommet, whereas the elbow is located near the top.happy to helpMike

MikeS14240sx

egofreak73 wrote:i have an s14, its a 95, im not sure if they made any differences between 95-96 and 97-98 but the grommet i have has an elbow, but i poked a screwdriver through the bottom part of the grommet, whereas the elbow is located near the top.happy to helpMike
Man you rock!!!:ylsuper Thanks for the help. I'll try it after work tomorrow. I'm sure if my car could talk it would be forever greatfull as well:)

egofreak73

hey by chance do you have a recommendation for some front speakers/compontants? im looking to get some in a few months, after i get my school bills set aside and am wondering what some decent ones are and how you get to the a pillar tweeters?Thanks Mike also do you havfe any recommendations on performance mods? Thanks again

MikeS14240sx

Well I gave it a go today, and the going wasn't good:( I wasn't able to get a screwdriver in but I used a peice of metal clothes hanger and got it in about 6 inches but wasn't able to the feel the hanger on the inside. I had a really tuff time trying to get the ecu out because of that little clip. Because the ecu has never been taken out. I wasted 20 minutes screwing around with the over engineered clip which has no use.

egofreak73 is there anything else you can tell me to help make it easier. I'll have more time tomorrow so I hope to tackle it again and an helpful hints you could pass on would be great.

I don't really know whats a good speaker to replace it with but you could try http://www.circuitcity.com find the automotive audio page and look at the speakers. People rate and leave feedback for the speakers they sell. It might help you make a decision.

Preformance wise I think the Apexi dual N1 is the best n/a or miled turboed exhaust. If you plan on going turbo or a engine swap stay away for full intakes because you won't be able to use them with a turbo and you waste the money.

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

"aforementioned" as in already/previously mentioned. if you buy your speakers at circuit city: polk audio's speakers are sweet. I had my back deck cut out and a pair of their 3 way 6X9's in there run by a 300 watt poineer amp and they screamed. In front i had a cerwin vega component set (mid-range & tweeter).

egofreak73

i didnt bother taking out the ecu at all. First i took a screwdriver(flathead) and popped the grommet off totally, it takes a while and a little elbow grease, but it will come off. then i ran my wire through the hole just to see if it will fit. i would recoomend doing this so that you cna find where the hole is coming out through, its somewhere near the middle of the passenger side firewall(i took off the glove box, which in the end was not necessary.) i just ran my hand up on the firewall until i found teh wire and after that poked a phillips head screwdriver through the grommet and eventually got the wire to go through.

Cliff notes: pop the grommet off, stick where in hole, find wire in car. poke hole in grommet poke wire through grommet. get pissed off and pay someone to do it:D If you need anymore help, send me an email at [email protected] or just im me at egofreak73 on aim.LaterMike

MikeS14240sx

aahhh.....success. Well sort of anyways. I got the wire run through the gromet. Only bad thing is no power to the amp:(. I think I have a bad ground or just blowing the fuse on the remote. Anyone have any good tips on how to get the gromet back in the hole.:D :help

egofreak73

hehe, you didnt say anything about putting the grommet back in:icesangel i think i pinched it in the middle and put one side in and tried to go around the circle till it all got in, or maybe i made my buddy do it:pface For my ground, i ran it off of bolt in the trunk by the jack. not sure if that helps or not. and i mounted my amp to the rear seat with some self tappers, it gets warm, but not too hot yet. Ah well, best of luck to yaMike

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”