rundown

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
510 pirate

i was wondering if anybody could give me a basic rundown of what needs to happen to swap in an sr20det, like i know the things that have to be made like the manafold and exc..but like what things have to be done and what i could do to prep for the install. the guy that is putting it in for me is a friend and knows alot about the SR motor but he has never put one in an 510 before so i am going to try to get as much info so we can be prepared. if any one has any input that would be great.

thanks!!

DAN510

:cool: Being a fellow Dimer' myself... all I can tell you is surf the net.

Go to http://www.the510realm.com and check out "shelby's sr20det 510"

Thats the best run down that comes to mind right now.

I can't afford the sr swap right now so I am opting for a ka24e swap, good reliable "cheap" power.

First things that come to mind.... Reversed front xmember, custom motor mounts, tranny mount, top mount turbo manifold ect...

And then there's the wiring and fuel thing, If youve got a complete front clip for your swap you should be able to splice the required sr wiring to the 510 harness, If you don't then you have to look into hoe your going to feed and light up this engine...

Later, DAN510:ylsuper

compression

This question comes up a lot. There is not website that details everything that needs to be done. I am working on a word document that outlines everything I did, but progress is slow.The swap is definitely worth the trouble, I am very pleased with the way mine pulls harder than any other car I have been in. Even before you begin the swap there a few things to think about. 1. cage, the 510 chassis is not stiff at all, build a cage in it and tie it into the upper seat belt mounts with bolts, stiffen wherever possible, but dont add a bunch of uneccessary weight. 2. brakes, make sure you upgrade the brakes to at least some 280zx stuff and rear discs, can never have too much brakes.3. Traction, this is a huge problem, since my SR rips tires loose in second and about half of third gear (first is sometimes useless if I am trying to launch). Look into better wheels and tires and suspension. 4. safety, have good seatblets and seats that are securely bolted at all four corners (with backing plates).Once oyu have ll that sorted out, then ask about installing an SR (if you have any money left).good luck.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”