RSX Type S faster than a 1991 Q?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
spankme234
Car: 1991 q45

My friend swares by it that his rsx type s is faster than my 1991 Q. Only problem is his car got repod so now we can't test this scenario out. Anyone know what the outcome of a race like this would be?

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

Come again???

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

I bet your Q is faster than the tow truck pulling your friend's RSX.

rsiwicki
Car: 95 Q45T

check out this link.....

http://www.dragtimes.com/resul...Times

even my car would have difficulty against one of these ricers....unless we started from the 1/8th mile marker @ 77mph and even then it would be tight until I was running 100+mph

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

type s are only rated at 14.9 stock by motortrend and car and driver

gniknave

Ok, for a better response from me..

Off the line the RSX Type-S has an advantage, but once the Q is rollin, I have my doubts that the RSX can handle it. As a matter of fact, I raced one of my old customers' G35 (sedan - a/t) a few months back. He took me off the line (barely as I started in 1st gear), and then we were damn near head on the entire way. Though he took me, it was by a hair.

So my point is, if a 90 4 speed A/T Q can keep up with a 2005 5-Speed A/T - Manual shifting G, then what do you think the results of a Q vs. RSX Type-S would be?

BTW: I have no performance mods, and I have heavy chrome wheels. The G had an intake kit installed (stillen I think).

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

The RSX-S may be fast, but it doesn't have half the elegance of a Q. I've driven them and been extremely unimpressed with the interior. Visibility also sucks.

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

RSX woudl take the Q. Your G35 friend doesn't know how to drive. Those are solid mid/low 14 second cars. He should have beatenyou no problem.

spankme234
Car: 1991 q45

I don't know, some of those 1/4 times were in the high 14's. I was in my friends Type S when he still had it and it is pretty quick. I think that the Q will pull past it at around 120. I read that the Q can take an WRX? if thats true, the q can take an rsx for sure

Black95Q
Car: Infiniti Q45

They run low 15's high 14's stock, but the K series honda responds very well to mods...I've seen a dyno sheet of one with bolt-ons, cams, and a little head work....250hp at the front wheels, on the stock bottom end!

gniknave

spankme234 wrote:I don't know, some of those 1/4 times were in the high 14's. I was in my friends Type S when he still had it and it is pretty quick. I think that the Q will pull past it at around 120. I read that the Q can take an WRX? if thats true, the q can take an rsx for sure
Between 70 - 120 is the Q's sweet spot. Are we talking about stock or modded cars here? Modded 4cyl imports can take out some of the best cars in the world, so of course an RSX Type S would take out a Q easily if mods were a factor. But stock, I don't see it happening.

I honestly don't think the Q can take out a WRX. I think it CAN keep up, but...WTF I don't even race my Q enough to care who I beat. I drive it for pleasure....back to my guides...

rsiwicki

As Altiman94 said....it really depends how well you can shift and launch. One may think that they can drive a stick good power shifting and all, but until they take it to the track they really have no idea how many seconds that they are leaving on the table until somebody else drives their car. I have seen it many times at the track where 2 different people (both very familiar with the car same car) get totally different ET's just because the way they shift. I spend way too much time at the track....I went the other night just for the hell of it again but did not bother posting the results because I figured you all might be bored with my ET's....but I did run a nice 14.35 @ 99mph and surpized a few competitors along the way. That now makes over 50 runs at the 1/4 track and I definitely know what my Q can and can't run against.

There is a lot more things involved with a manual car versus an automatic....

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

from Car and Driver Jan 2005"Still, the tweaks do add up to measurable results. The '05 Type-S sprints to 60 mph in 6.2 seconds versus 6.3 for our '02 comparo car, and it covers the quarter-mile in 14.9 seconds at 95 mph versus 15.0 at 94. These are respectable numbers, but we frankly expected them to be a little more respectable."

Now these guys spend day after day, year after year launching cars from a standstill. Compared to the average driver, they are masters. Most kids with an rsx couldnt even get close to a 14.9 stock out of it (notto say i can drive worth a **** either!) my "friend had a 91 integra i belive was rated at 16.2 or so stock, had i/e/h and still ran a measely 17.5 on every run. pick out the right drivers and a moron in a ferrari could lose to the smart guy in my old pinto

Black95Q
Car: Infiniti Q45

rsiwicki wrote: I spend way too much time at the track....I went the other night just for the hell of it again but did not bother posting the results because I figured you all might be bored with my ET's....but I did run a nice 14.35 @ 99mph and surpized a few competitors along the way. That now makes over 50 runs at the 1/4 track and I definitely know what my Q can and can't run against.
You are addicted to the drag strip my friend.....

btw-14.35 @99mph great time....you are almost running the same times as before the 18s.

rsiwicki

from my experiences at Moroso....here are some figures I have observed

Difference in ET of about 0.5 secs = 1 full car length where the front bumper of one car is tied along side the rear bumper of the lead car

Difference in ET of about 1.0 secs = 2 full car length where the front bumper of one car length behind rear bumper of the lead car

IMO....difference in ET's of 0.25 secs or less is really nothing at all to brag about although technically a win is a win. I was actually very very disappointed last summer when I ran a 14.6 versus Fastlane's stock 96 @ 15.8 at the lack of distance I put between us. I would have thought that there would be a ton of distance between us but there was not at the finish line. I liked my 14.6 ET, but it was not the a$$ whipping I was hoping to deliver. (btw...fastlane is a good friend and nothing against ya my drag racing partner)

As far a racing a WRX...they are high 13's cars totally stock and I lined up against one when I ran a 14.3 flat ET this past winter. I had a better reaction time by 0.4secs and so he caught me at 45mph or so and we were locked dead even all the way out to the end of the 1/4 mile and his was a brand new 2005 WRX stock with 1,500 miles on it. A lot has to do with the driver technique as I have seen stock Z's run high 13's to mid 14's totally stock at Moroso.

I will never race from a stop light on the street unless I know the other car is 1 second slower and we can do the 100mph sprint. There is way too much variable with reaction times and you can't tell the reaction differences by sight/sound/feel etc so the dude along side of you may have had a jump on you by 0.5secs and you would have never noticed. It takes the Q a long time to hook up the power to the rear wheels before things start to move from the time you hammer the throttle. I run strong on the 2nd yellow drag light while others like in a WRX or Type S can launch on the 3rd yellow light and get the same reaction time. I have been concentrating more & more on my reaction times timing, but at the end of the track everybody just wants to know who ultimately ran the quickest regardless of reaction time.

rsiwicki

CrimsonQ....while these car magazine test drivers should have more experience than your average driver that does not mean they know how to drive the car any better. When C&D tested the 2006 M45 and only ran a 14.2 ET they said that they used the manually shifting method versus the automatic shifting method as the drivers thought that it "feels" faster with the manual shifting so they only ran the test in manual shift mode. They did not even bother to run the car in plain automatic mode to see what it could do and just went on a "it feel faster" assumption. Do a search for the article that was posted a few months ago and you will see what I am referring to in the article. The magazines never tell you what the temp/elevation/humidity was when they run these cars. I run at least a 0.4+ secs different from the summer (85+ & humid) to the winter (65 and dry) which is another variable to add into the magazine statistics. ET's will differ by way to many outside variables when trying to compare ET's across the country.

Black95Q....yes I am addicted to Moroso. Call me if you want to meet up there again anytime. I will go again, but right now I am seriously thinking that I need to take care of my differential first before any more runs....I am hearing way too much "clunk, thud" coming from the diff after my last set of runs. Wes just might have his differential sold very quickly off his old Q. Also with the wonderful humidity that has seemed to just roll in to S. Florida I suspect my times will be in mid 14's which kind of sucks except that the humidity should affect the other cars equally also.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

My wife's Acura EL, which is essentially a stretched four door version of the RSX has the same engine (slightly detuned). Yes off the line, it suprises a lot of cars, because its packed with low end throttle and can make a quick getaway from the lights but then the powerband evens out and most cars with larger engines will catch up and pass me. Its possible that with some tuning, the car could stand up well to larger engined vehicles.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

driverdriver wrote:My wife's Acura EL, which is essentially a stretched four door version of the RSX has the same engine (slightly detuned). Yes off the line, it suprises a lot of cars, because its packed with low end throttle and can make a quick getaway from the lights but then the powerband evens out and most cars with larger engines will catch up and pass me. Its possible that with some tuning, the car could stand up well to larger engined vehicles.
You mean TSX? Or is the EL a new model I havent heard of?

Q_SHIP
Car: 1999 Q45T with a billion miles.

MattB wrote:The RSX-S may be fast, but it doesn't have half the elegance of a Q. I've driven them and been extremely unimpressed with the interior. Visibility also sucks.
News flash, 14's are SLOW!!

I start to get intrested when cars dip into the 12's and thats about it.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

DominickJ30 wrote:
You mean TSX? Or is the EL a new model I havent heard of?
The Acura EL is a Canada only model, I believe it's sold as the Honda Domino (or some name like that) in Japan. Its basically a stretched Civic/RSX with 4 doors and a trunk, power everything, wood, leather, brushed aluminum, moonroof, Xenons, basically all the Acura goodies. Under the hood is a slightly detuned VTEC version of the RSX engine. If I was posting from home, I would've attached a picture.

R4v3n

Last time I had the J out I had a lane bandit try to get in front of me and you can hear him downshift twice getting ready to roll and all I had to do is step on the gas and watch him fall behind.

High 14s is normal with a good driver. Most guys you'll find on the street are not... If there is one thing I've learned from running my SRT at the track, it's: fwd = hard to launch. Alot of ricers will spin the crap out of their tires, in which case, you step on the gas and walk away like nothing ever happend.

350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

Altiman:

You don't need to always troll the Q. You've never driven one, and there are plenty of people (myself included) who have raced quite a bit in one.

The RSX's performance comes where the Q's doesn't. Just like the Q's performance starts when the RSX is dieing.

After 70 mph the Q is a totally different animal then the 1/4 mile speed indicates. Just like Rob's car has no problem with 13 second cars on the freeway, because his 1/4 mile doesn't indicate what the car is capable of.

278 hp stock292 tq. When you're dropping the hammer at 70 mph the weight of the Q doesn't come into play like it does from a launch, it's also where the Qs sweet gearing begins to engage.

You can continue to hate on the Q but it has nearly 80 hp more, and over 100 more tq.. You can't just can't argue the numbers. You take any lux sedan equiped with a v8 (ls430, 7 series, S class, A8 etc etc) and they are going to toast the RSX very very badly. 4 more cylinders, way more torque, and highway gearing is what these cars have. They were designed for freeway cruising with monsterous passing power. The 4 banger in the RSX is reaching it's capacity at freeway speeds.

Even the S2000 slows down at freeway speeds. It has a very similar 1/4 mile time to my Z, but I've already pummeled 2 of them, and I began to pull hard in 3rd gear or 60+

The 1/4 mile is not an absolute performance benchmark. It is good for measuring overall general performance, but it's not accurate for showing a cars potential on the high end.

What does it matter, we can only drive 60 right

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Well, I can only add this:

My buddy owns Bell Acura (largest Acura dealer in Phx). He and I danced a few times with him driving an RSX-S back when they first came out. The RSX jumps out quick off the line, deceptively quick, but I had him reeled in by 80 - Would have taken me until 100 to put a bumper in front of him though.

We ran this way at least 3x.

However, on the I-17 northbound, on a 1-2% uphill grade, from a 45mph roll, he got his arse handed to him, as the Q was a half to a full car length ahead by 120, which we only did twice...

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

spankme234 wrote:My friend swares by it that his rsx type s is faster than my 1991 Q. Only problem is his car got repod so now we can't test this scenario out.
Then he doesn't HAVE an RSX.

You win, he's a moron.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”