RPM Surge while coasting downhill

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
VCMCMUSIC
Car: 2015 Altima S

When I let off the gas and coast downhill in my 2015 Altima S sedan, the RPM surge and the car jerks while the surging is taking place. If Im hitting the gas downhill it doesn't do it. If I'm breaking downhill it doesn't do it. I have taken it in to the dealership and they say they don't see any trouble codes and they tell me it's normal. But I just asked a coworker that has same car, and hers doesn't do it. I've only put 1500 miles on it and I would like to figure out if this is normal before I get too far into warranty. Any help I can get or Info will be greatly appreciated.

kapesports
Car: 2015 Rogue - 2015 Altima

downhill my 15 altima does the engine break assist thing which i think is standard with CVT. Never had the issue you are having. on a downhill, my rmp goes up and the car response when I press the gas and no jerking. I'd go back to the dealership and ask them to investigate..

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Unless you're experiencing problems on level roads, I wouldn't worry about it. Common CVT issues are whining/grinding noises, shuddering, and powerloss. The CVT is like a traditional transmission, and you will know it's in operation during certain types of driving situations.

littleshep7
Car: 2014 Nissan Altima 4 door and 2009 Nissan Altima 2 door

If you figure out whats wrong with it let me know mine is doing the same thing at like 55 to 60 mph and right at 1500rpm.

Guapob
Car: 2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

Hello,

This is transmission braking and our cars do this going downhill to conserve energy and make them more efficient. There is nothing wrong as most new cars will do this. My wife Audi does the same thing happens with her 8 speed transmission as well going downhill. It will drop gears to slow the vehicle down before using th brakes.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”