Rough Start Ups in my 1996 Q45

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
bigdog76
Car: 1996 Infinity Q45

My boss borrowed my car last week and filled my tank with 87 octane which my car does not like. I have run 87 in it a few times when the prices were high and it has never done this to me before. What is happening is it is having rough start ups. Basically its taking a while to turn over and fire up. Almost like the battery is dying. The battery is practically brand new so I know that isn't it. Has anyone heard of this and do you know what it could be ??? I really don't think it is the gas as it did not ever have this problem any of the times I filled up with 87 in the past. I recently just put a new full tank of 91 octane but it is still acting up with the rough start ups when i try to turn it over.

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

you should sell that poor car

Aus94Q45
Car: 1994 Q45

Don't run 87! It is only $5 or $6 more per tank to run the correct fuel. It is not designed to run 87. As for the rough starts with a new battery, start with the simple stuff first. 1. put in the correct fuel, 2. check the battery terminals and post connections -- make sure they are clean and tight; also check the connections that feed off of the positive lead. 3. run some BG cleaner through. After you have done these I bet it will be cured. If not post back here for other more advanced issues.

bigdog76

i never run 87 it was a one time thingIt was fine up until last week i cannot see it being the battery terminals

What else could it be more advanced????

bigdog76

BG Cleaner where do i get this???

Mr_Q45t
Car: 1995 Ivory Pearl Q45t

bigdog76 wrote:My boss borrowed my car last week and filled my tank with 87 octane which my car does not like. I have run 87 in it a few times when the prices were high and it has never done this to me before. What is happening is it is having rough start ups. Basically its taking a while to turn over and fire up. Almost like the battery is dying. The battery is practically brand new so I know that isn't it. Has anyone heard of this and do you know what it could be ??? I really don't think it is the gas as it did not ever have this problem any of the times I filled up with 87 in the past. I recently just put a new full tank of 91 octane but it is still acting up with the rough start ups when i try to turn it over.
Since the problem is only when you turn it over, your starter is probably going south.

DrewQ45

It may be that your battery is dying. Not usually the case, but new batteries have been known to go bad. One thing to remember is that it's being charged by an alternator which is not new. Have you been seeing any warning lights?.... a flashing brake light maybe? You may want to have both checked.

Could be starter issue as mentioned, however, starters usually don't slow down when going bad. They either work or don't due to open circuit failure.

..Drew...

Aus94Q45
Car: 1994 Q45

Before changing starters -- question -- is a rough idle or mechanically rough start?

Back to the battery. Clean the terminals. It does not take much corrosion under the connectors to disrupt the voltage. i have seen several Q's with acid build up under the connectors and inside the red connector that attaches serveral circuits off the post connection. Corrosion forms under the connections quickly. This can cause a rough idle. I just had this issue on my wife's car last week. A quick cleaning cured it. I have had the same on the Q.

BG can be obtained online, Joe, or local auto parts places. It is the recommended additive for a quick injector cleaning.

Again, best to try the easy (cheap) stuff first. These cars are well built and many problems are remedied by very basic care and maintenence.

More advanced on start up, assuming it is not a mechanical cranking issue, would be the MAF, IAC, and injectors.

bigdog76

The idle is fine, just a rough start. takes longer to fire up then it should.

I will try the BG this weekend. I have to do a oil change this weekend anyways so i will also check the alternator out at the same time.

But if it was the alternator wouldnt the battery be dead by now since this has been going on over a week now??

I will clean the battery terminals to start.

Is this BG common place or is it hard to find???Otherwise im calling Joe up.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

http://www.bgfindashop.com

Run BG44K through your last tank prior to your oil change.

bigdog76

Problem solved it was the battery.

Turns out the battery was only 11 months old and I had autozone run the test on it and it came back bad battery. I got a $59 credit towards a brand new battery. Since the battery was still under warranty i lucked out.

I made the mistake off putting in a smaller battery then the orginal that i removed last year and that could have been the down fall.

It always seems the older the car get the faster it goes thru the batteries for some reason.

Needless to say i paid an extra $10 bucks and got the biggest best one they had this time.

Jesda

Charge the battery before installing it. I had this problem in 04 when the battery I purchased was not fully charged and the alternator couldnt keep up.

In fact, remove the battery in there now and put it on a charger.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”