Rough start in the mornings >> Anyone else on the new M

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
larry.contrisciano
Car: Infiniti M35 sport 06' and Acura TL 04'

Hi folks,

As a point of reference, I am in PA (east coast). The weather here has been pretty mild. NOT COLD YET. Also the car is not gargaged.

Anyway, I have noticed that each morning on the first start, the car is hard to turn-over and as soon as it starts the car shutters/shakes for a second.

Is anyone else experiencing this porblem? NOTE: I wonder if this has something to do with my gasoline smell problem that keeps reoccuring.

Thanks for any reply. Larry

Jesda

If an injector is leaking, it could explain the odor as well as the rough/rich starts.I'm really only guessing here. Do you have an M45 or M35?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hmmm ... a bit strange. Have you looked at the fuel filter? I seem to recall that this is a sealed item for the life of the car, but if not, that may be a place to start.

Weather here is not cold by PA standards, but even on relatively freezing-cold mornings (in the forties ), my M45 (older model) does not do this.

Z

larry.contrisciano

Thanks for the reply. It is the M35 sport. This engine is pretty tried and proven, right?

The more I think about it and the more I hear from you guys... I'm guessing my gas smell problems must be tied into the poor starting, but why only first thing in the morning???

TXSJaybird

Larry,

That problem is DEFINATELY not normal, under any weather. Sounds like you might have to battle your dealer.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I bet its a grounding issue like people in the G35s and stuff are having.. i bet the fuel problem is unrelated.. can you tell where the fuel is coming from?

larry.contrisciano

Wes,

That's great to know, about the grounding issue. As far as the gas smell:1) it's happened on four different dates/times, at different places. 2) there is no visalbe gas leak that I or the Dealer can find3) sometimes the smell is so strong that you can smell it as you get within 10' of the car.4) inside the car, it is overpowering.5) when you drive about a half-mile the smell goes away.6) it seems to happen when there is a half tank or less of gas (but not always). So it's not happening after I fill the tank up7) the gas cap is always tightly engaged.8) When I go around the car, the strongest smell is over the passenger side tire wells, which is the side of the gas tank filler on the 06' M series.

Any further insight would be appreciated.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

next time you can smell it hardcore strong, open the hood and the trunk and see if its stronger in either places.....

The fuel tank on the Y50 is located on the underside of the car right above the differential, for referenence right below the rear seat...

If you can smell it more on in the trunk, then its coming from the fuel tank, if its stronger when you open the hood, then its coming from something in there.. Just because you cant see a leak does not mean there isnt one...

There could also be something messed up in your evap system. basicaslly what that does is take excess fuel vapors from the tank and recirculate them back into the intake.. Common on any car from 1990.

quote from the 2006 m45 service manual
FSM wrote:The evaporative emission system is used to reduce hydrocarbons emitted into the atmosphere from the fuelsystem. This reduction of hydrocarbons is accomplished by activated charcoals in the EVAP canister.The fuel vapor in the sealed fuel tank is led into the EVAP canister which contains activated carbon and thevapor is stored there when the engine is not operating or when refueling to the fuel tank.The vapor in the EVAP canister is purged by the air through the purge line to the intake manifold when theengine is operating. EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve is controlled by ECM. When theengine operates, the flow rate of vapor controlled by EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve isproportionally regulated as the air flow increases.EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve also shuts off the vapor purge line during decelerating andidling.PBIB1631E
Attached is a picture of a diagram of the evap system..

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Heres another intersting picture you should like...

This is a picture of how the fuel lines work.. The filler neck that goes from the gas filler to the tank goes over the passenger side wheel... As it shows, the fuel lines go from the fuel tank under the drivers side into the engine bay...

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Good info to check out, Wes! Thanks.

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”