Rough paint surface on hood

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
PGrated

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has noticed this or is it just me.The hood of my '04 g35 feels like a fine piece of sandpaper. When you look at it under bright sunlight, you can't really see any imperfections in the hood surface. Maybe its because its aluminum??I was wondering what I should do about it. Should I clay-bar it?? or what?? Should I bring it back to the dealer and ask them to do something about it?? I'm just afraid of making it worse than it is.

Just asking for advise on this.

Thanks!!

pg

DenverG35c
Car: Motor sports, computer solitaire...

Sounds suspicious but I'd try the clay bar, rubbing compound, and a good wax type product before I'd take it to the dealer. Then if that doesn't do it, you'll have some additional "ammo" if they give you a hard time. If they screw it up don't accept until they get it right.

PGrated

Hey thanks for the reply!!

I almost get the feeling as if it may be some kind of residue left over on the hood from the plastic film that was on the hood when it was delivered to the dealer. It's funny because I didn't notice it until I washed the car myself for the first time yesterday. The weather has been so bad that I haven't been able to give it a good hand wash for weeks.

Anyway, I will keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks again!!

pg

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Yeah, it sounds clay barring would really help.

CentralCommando

Hey P!

We live pretty close to one another. I was wondering where you bought your G35, as I am in the market right now. Seems there arent a ton of Infiniti Dealers in New Jersey.

rydwhite

Welcome CentralCommando. You should check out our dealer sponsors Scottsdale, Grubbs and Pinnacle. I am sure that they can help you out in any way you need.

Also, please ask as many questions as you want. We are all here to help.

Ryan

PGrated

Dear CentralCommando,Welcome to the Board!! I actually live in Washington Township/Robbinsville. I pass through Cranbury everyday on the way to work.I bought mine from Ray Catena in edison. The reason I went with them was because they are practically around the corner from where I work. Convenience was a definite plus. I actually bought a demo g35X with about 500 miles on it. They gave me a pretty deep discount on it. Overall my satisfaction with the dealer has been good. I already had the oil changed at 1000 miles by them.

I also heard the Flemington Infiniti also does quite well with price. They discount them nicely from what I understand. You may even do well to try pricing it over the internet from a website like kbb.com or edmunds.com. Either site you can submit the car you are looking for and see what prices the dealers come back with as far as price.

The dealer rep I dealt with was Vinny Nayak at Ray Catena. He was very straightforward with me and NOT pushy. He was actually quite low keyed and nice to deal with.

Anyway, welcome to the board. Hope this info helps.

CentralCommando

I have actually already been to Ray Catena to test drive a G35X. They are actually quite a huge dealership. I havent been to Flemington but you've covered I think the only two dealerships in New Jersey. I work all over the state so its hard to pick a dealer on convenience. Im glad you are happy with Ray Catena service so far. You changed the oil at 1,000 miles? Is that normal? It seems that the G35 service schedule pretty much mirrors my Toyota. Are you happy with the car so far? Ive done the pricing thing with Edmunds.com and I hear varying reports on how much dealers are willing to discount. But I cant see any dealer not willing to work with you if you're ready to buy.Thanks again!

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

CentralCommando wrote:You changed the oil at 1,000 miles? Is that normal?

I would strongly recommend it and then do follow a 3750 mile oil and filter change schedule! Please look at the following for what I base my comments (as well as those from our resident oil expert: palmerwmd):

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....49691

Z

PGrated

So far I am very happy with the car. It has the all wheel drive with it too. Very comfortable ride. Before I bought the G35x, I also test drove the Acura TL and TSX. The TSX I found was underpowered when driven with an automatic (my wife wanted the automatic). The TL had much better power but just did not hold the road very well. Too much weight on the front end. I'm not sure how many mods I will do to it in the future. Synthetic oil will be the most likely and easiest to do. But I will wait until about 10,000 miles to do the switch. As far as the maintenance schedule, I would read the thread that was posted by szhosain. I also did a recent thread on breakin time and switch to synthetic oil. Although the dealer advised me otherwise, I just felt better doing it at the 1000 miles. Another good reason is you don't know what kind of oil was put in the car when it was shipped over from Japan. At least now I know what's in the engine. I will likely change it again, like was recommended at either 3750 or sooner. When I had my '94 pathfinder, I used to change the oil every 3000 miles using dino (castrol gtx) for it. When it was totalled in an accident in december (don't get me started :( ) it had almost 140000 miles on it without a glitch. As far as pricing, I've heard good things about Femington being able to work with you more so than Ray Catena. I think that they even give internet discounts on them if you would consider dealing with them that way.

Anyway, good luck with your possible future purchase.

CentralCommando

Thanks again PgratedI think I will make an offer to Ray Catena in a couple of days, and if a no go I will probably head down to Flemington.The guy I am working with at Catena seems to be a no pressure guy too. When I was looking at BMW, the damn salesman called me every day at home and at work (NEVER give a car salesman your work number) and wouldnt stop twisting my arm until I said I didnt WANT the damn car.

CentralCommando

I purchased a brand new G35X sedan with Willow Leather and Premium package, including Trunkmat, full sized spare, and splashguards. I took delivery on the car yesterday and in my garage it sits. I bought the car from Flemington Infiniti, who seemed rather hungry for my business as P-grated said. So far, so good.

rydwhite

Congrats. What color?

CentralCommando

Desert Platinum with a willow leather interior. I almost got Diamond Graphite but liked the slightly "taupe" silver color of Desert Platinum. Doesnt show dirt as readily, too. Many like Black leather interiors because they feel its more luxurious looking. But I like lighter color interiors because they look a bit cheerier to me.

rydwhite

The Desert Platinum is a great color. There are too many Diamond Graphite G's out there in my opinion. I'm also a fan of the willow leather, not just because that is what I have in my car, but I think that the willow looks more luxurious and classy. I think that black leather looks good, but I just don't that it has the refined look that the willow does.

CentralCommando

Thanks, rydwhite.BTW, I read about your car getting scratched and I think that stinks. I personally almost HOPE that I wouldnt encounter a guy doing that because then Id have a murder rap on my hands. I cant believe that someone would do that for no damn reason to someone's car. So far, I love the car. Maybe its my imagination, but there seems to be a squeak in the area of the rear doors whenever I drive over rough road. Maybe its normal. I might take it to the dealer and have them look it over. I didnt have the problem with my Toyota Solara.Seems that once Im driving a while the squeaking abates a bit. Could it just be the cold?

PGrated

Congrats on the new vehicle!!

Definitely a nice choice in colors. Use it in good health!!

Take care !!

Paul

rydwhite

It's possible it is just cold weather, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have the dealer check it out. I had an annoying rattle coming from dash and had the dealer take a look at it.

CentralCommando

Thanks for the Congrats, Pgrated. So far I think Im going to enjoy driving this car. And ryd, I will have the dealer check out the squeak. The car rides too smoothly for any real damage to have been done to it. Could be something in the window frame, I dont know. Sometimes it squeaks and sometimes it doesnt. Did they find what caused the rattle in your dash?

rydwhite

Yeah, it was a small piece of plastic that broke off and was stuck between the stereo and and the housing area around it. They just removed it and no more rattle.

PGrated

Just a followup on the rough surface on the hood of my car. After using a mild cleaner and wax on the hood (Mother's) I found that the surface is much smoother than before. I have a feeling that this plastic film that was on the hood when the car was delivered had something to do with it. I figure I didn't want to be too aggressive with the surface and find out I am reducing the thickness of the paint too much. So, I just used the most mildly abrasive thing I could find and it seemed to work well.

Anyway, Take care!!

paul

rydwhite

Good to hear.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”