Rough Idle

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
EdGs

My stepsons 2000 Altima has had rough idle and recently became very sluggish wanting to stall and very low power. If you baby the gas you can accelerate, just not very quickly.

Found a broken vacuum line under the EGRC-BPT valve and replaced that, but not much change.

Local parts store scanned for codes and got:
P0100 Mass Airflow
P0325 Knock Sensor bank 1
P0300 Random Multiple Misfire
P1400 EGR Control Solenoid Valve

Cleaned the MAF Sensor, and discovered that the coil on the EGR Solenoid is open circuit.

How much problem will the failed solenoid cause with the idle?

I think I have more issues, this is just what I have found so far.

Thanks in Advance.

EdGs

Update: Replaced the EGR solenoid and got a slight improvement in the idle, but still very rough and sluggish.

Cleaned the MAF sensor and no change.

Found that the fuel filter was definately restricted. Replaced it and got a small improvement. Still a pretty good miss, but does not stall as easy.

Plugs and wires checked good. Distributor has a bad seal and is leaking oil slightly around the base of the cap, will addresss that later.

Advanced the timing a little and got a big change in reponsiveness, great acceleration and pickup, but still rough idle.

Spayed throttle cleaner around the intake and got a big improvement in idle, so the dreaded intake manifold gasket leak is the main culprit here. 212K miles on the car, so I can't complain much.

I am not looking forward to this repair, but don''t have a choice. Wish me luck.

EdGs

double posted
Last edited by EdGs on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdGs

Had a really tough time with this repair. The torx stud near cylinder one would not budge and I ended up twisting the spline and had to leave it in place. Due to this, I had to use a piece of .030 shim stock that was sharpened on the edges and end to scrape the remnants of the upper gasket off.

I also reset the timing to where it was originally, but had to advance it slightly due to the engine bogging down when first giving gas (I did not have to advance it nearly as much as it was before replacing the gaskets). I did replace the fuel filter, and it was patially plugged, so it might just need the injectors cleaned and new orings and such for the fuel rail. I willl address that shortly.

The distributor still needs replaced due to leaking oil past the seal, so that might factor into these issues as well.

The service engine light has not relit. So far, so good.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”