Rotors keep warping

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
TXM56

I have a 2011 M56S with 48k miles on it. About three months ago the steering wheel started shaking while braking around 30mph. I had the rotors turned and pads replaced, and it was fine for a month. A month later, same thing, steering wheel shakes when braking at 30mph. Had the rotors replaced. Was fine for a month, and now it's doing it again.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I drive normal. Very rarely do I brake hard.

Thanks

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

Current: 2012 M56S, Harbour Blue, 4 pc Aero Kit

sorry to hear about your brake issues; I know how frustrating this can be. I had a similar issue on another vehicle I own.

A few things can lead to this type of problem; these are the steps that cured my issue: Did they inspect the rest of the suspension components? Did they check alignment and tire balance at the time of rotors? Are the wheels torqued to the proper specs?
Last edited by SmoovC on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

veery
Car: 06 M35x Umbria Grey

Did you get NEW rotors last time, or turn them again? If new, then something is wrong with the front suspension or steering, or someone is really unevenly torquing your lug nuts.

TXM56

I don't think they inspected anything else. Just said the rotors were warped and replaced them.

TXM56

veery wrote:Did you get NEW rotors last time, or turn them again? If new, then something is wrong with the front suspension or steering, or someone is really unevenly torquing your lug nuts.
The first time they turned them. The second time they completely replaced them with new rotors.

TXM56

And when I brake there is sometimes a "clunk clunk clunk" sound that sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side. It's always at 30 mph. I don't get the shake or noise at any other speeds.

That side also has a refurbished OEM wheel I bought off of ebay (scraped the original on a curb). Could the wheel be bad and causing this?

TXM56

I called the dealership and they didn't have much of an answer for me...I don't live very close to an infiniti dealership so I went to a local place since I figured brake replacement would be easy enough. The dealership said the problem could be that they aren't using factory brake pads and rotors...They recommended bringing it in and they could replace everything to factory for $580. Would this be my best option?

(Sorry about the consecutive posts)

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

when you say replaced rotors and pads, do you mean both wheels (front or rear), front and rear on one side, or all four?

Also, the clunking noise you refer to - does it only happen while breaking, or anytime driving at 30 mph?

Even if your refurbished wheel was out of balance it wouldn't warp the rotor on the opposite wheel.

More info regarding brand of rotors and pads used would help. Did you get the cheapest set you could find? Do you know what the shop has installed on the car?

Mjkkb2

one more follow up for U, Are you still on the original summer tires?

TXM56

They replaced all four pads.

The rotors they turned, and subsequently replaced, have been the front two.

I don't know what brand any of these are. Local mechanic just entered my vehicle info in and ordered I assume whatever it told him to. The front rotors were $90 for the pair which seemed unusually cheap, and in hindsight probably should have been a red flag, but I have never had rotors replaced on any vehicle before and just didn't think much of it. I'm guessing these are very low quality...

TXM56

Mjkkb2 wrote:one more follow up for U, Are you still on the original summer tires?
Tires are hankook v12 evo 2 with around 3,000 miles on them.

The clunking noise only happens when braking. I usually notice it when I'm driving in my neighborhood.

Mjkkb2

the oem rotor (front is $90 to 100 each), and they're not the best(most $$$) out there. You paid $45 each. I am starting to lean towards low quality rotor as your culprit.

coolchuck
Car: 11 M37s, 04 E55

This seems to bee an issue with some Nissan products. I had the same issue on my 5th gen Maxima. I replaced the rotors with crossdrilled Bremo blanks. No problems after that. I would replace with a quality aftermarket rotor/pad combo.

White-Rush
Car: 06 M35S - Sold
11 M37S - Ran hard and sold
16 Q70S

I just got a Brakemotive set (4 rotors & 8 pads) for $263.00 shipped.. This is my first time using them, but from everything that I have heard, they are the best bang for the buck. Lots of guys in the 35/45 have used them with no issue. However, I know they won't last probably as long as the stock units.

I will follow up whenever I get them installed. Right now my rotors are not that bad, but my rear pads are shot. IMO, I think this is a decent upgrade/add-on.

And for the original poster, I'm willing to bet that wheel may be the root of your vibration. GL, and let us know.

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

Check to calipers to see if they are bolted down snug. The warped rotors lead to pad replacement and them turning already bad rotors. The shop should have replaced the bad rotors, not turned them. In turn, they "warped" again...they were already warped to begin with.

The shop then replaced the rotors and now you hear a clunking sound, most likely from a poor install, along with warped rotors. I would say take it to a different shop and have ALL pads and rotors replaced with brand new. Have the shop properly bed the pads into the rotors after the install. Use a reputable local shop.Brake jobs are not that hard. I've replaced several sets of pads/rotors over the years and it's pretty straightforward.

Also have them bleed the lines while you're at it.

securityguy
Car: 2012 M37x

http://www.brakeperformance.com

Great rotors warranted for life against warpage - Premium Dimpled & Slotted. Made in USA and top rated. They are going on my M next Spring.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

I recommend this read for anyone who has not read it yet. Lots of good information that is not commonly provided, or even known, by many (dare I say most) repair shop employees and vehicle owners.

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System

securityguy
Car: 2012 M37x

Great read Deb...and to add to it...this companies rotors are manufactured by the same company I mentioned above.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”