Rotor resurface or new rotors?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
aleph1
Car: 1990 240SX hatch MODS: class.

Im tryin to see which is more worth it...I dont have much money now, so Id prefer the rotor resurfacing, but I dont know how much that usually runs...anyone?

If thats around the same price as new (better, or even OEM) rotors, then maybe Ill just have to get that..I dunno.

Advice?

PS: Im doing this cuz my rotors grip areas are uneven and my steering wheels vibrates bad when braking from 40mph+

KwayKer
Car: My car, video games, sports

new rotorsi had mine resurfaced before, and it musta been the shop, but it didnt help a whole lot....3 months later i had the same problem.

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

KwayKer wrote:new rotorsi had mine resurfaced before, and it musta been the shop, but it didnt help a whole lot....3 months later i had the same problem.
that's normally how resurfacing goes :sad

juazam_186
Car: Cars & Computers

Dude, If your rotors are wearing un-evenly, that might be a sign that your caliper pistons aren't working properly.I had the same problem and replacing the rotors with new one's didn't help because the caliper kept wearing the rotors unevenly.If you don't have alot of 'benjamins', re-surface the rotors, for now, keeping in mind that you'll need to replace rotors and calipers 'down the line'. Good luck!!:icesangel

Xeromist
Car: Cars, Music, Computers

How long have those rotors been used? This all may be academic if the rotors are extremely worn or warped. You may not have enough rotor left to resurface. After I bought my car I had to replace at least one of the rotors because the previous owner had failed to properly maintain the brakes and had screwed up the rotors.

aleph1

I dont think its really possible for the rotors to "warp" but the car has 160K miles on it.

lost93

mine had a 160 on the rotors and i replaced the things with crossed drilled ones and new t/c bushings it helped alot also new pads

juazam_186

Aleph,It IS posssible for the rotors to warp, due to heat and uneven pressure.Unless you can personally vouch for the last year of brake maintenance on your car, then you have to assume that your brakes need to be ovehauled and not just 'minor' maintenance.Have Brake Check scope out your Brake system and let them 'Mic'the rotors to let you know how much life you have on them.Of course, if they are causing vibration, then you can bet that your rotors and calipers need SERIOUS attention. Good Luck.:icesangel

aleph1

my calipers could be messed as well?

i read this FAQ a while ago about how rotor warping was a myth and he explains and ****, but I cant find it now...Ill try and look for it a bit more...

BTW- Can I install new rotors and pads myself? I know how to do it, but how do I make the surface ready on the rotors for the pads, dont I need to make like a "film" on the rotors?

juazam_186

I've done the 'complete' brake job myself, and it just requires the basic ratchet, sockets, and open/box combo wrenches.A manual becomes, not invaluable, but very handy.Just remember to disassemble one unit at a time to use the still intact one as your put-back-together guide.Even if you invest in new tools from Sears, you'll save yourself some serious $$$$$.

psRotor warping 'might' be a myth. Just ask someone who's Steel products came from Brazil within the last couple of years.There, they use Steel that has been Radiated and is of FAR LESSquality that ANY U.S. Steel Product.That is why you stick with "quality" parts and not the kind you buy at the local mass marketer that have prices that are UNBELIEVABLY LOW!!Unless of course you want to do a temporary job that is only meant to last you about a year at the most.Good Luck. You're asking lots of questions and it's best to be as informed as possible BEFORE you tackle something; I KNOW that you'll do a Great Brake Job.Peace. :peace :Werd :Werd

aleph1

Was thinking about getting these rotors, they are cheap, and seem better than stock...and PDM usually carries good stuff.

Any experiences or advice on em?

http://www.pdm-racing.com/prod....html

OOPS-just saw that it said $70 EACH! I thought it was 70 for the pair, nm I know I can get better ones for 140 or less!

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

aleph1 wrote:my calipers could be messed as well?

i read this FAQ a while ago about how rotor warping was a myth and he explains and ****, but I cant find it now...Ill try and look for it a bit more...

BTW- Can I install new rotors and pads myself? I know how to do it, but how do I make the surface ready on the rotors for the pads, dont I need to make like a "film" on the rotors?
make sure you spray the new rotors with brake cleaner to get the packaging **** off of them. Otherwise you'll just **** up the brakes and that's never any fun :nono

Julio Bro!
Car: 1993 240SX SE, manual tranny, Stillen intake & strut bar, Magnaflow cat + custom cat-back, NISMO sus

If your rotors have never been turned, then resurfacing should work...minding they'll be OK for some hundreds of miles. If you've been using them for some years, then new rotors should be in order, and performance wise they should be at the least, slotted.

Mines are from Power Slot, and are working fine and the braking feel sure is better than stock.

aleph1

Im getting KVR Carbon Kevlar brake pads with the same Brembo rotors that KwayKer got for 199. :D

AunVoh

where are you buying them from? and is that front or rear?

aleph1

The pads Im getting from PDM, front and rear.

And the rotors Im getting front and rear for 199, from http://www.raceconcepts.net

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”