Rotating directional tires

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
megalodon
Car: 2003 G35 6MT
2012 G37s 7AT Convertible

I recently bought a used g37 that came with directional tires. These tires are so loud I thought the wheel bearing was bad. From my research the loud tire noise is from the inner wall wearing unevenly. Rubbing my hand on the inner wall and it feels more like a stop sign than a tire. The outer wall feels perfect. I thinking of popping the tires off of the rims an rotating them will help the noise and get a little more mileage out of the tire but will it damage the tire at all by doing this?

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

If the tires are that bad, you should probably replace them. From the sounds of it, it's too late to flip them (as in taking the rear tires and swapping from left to right).

The camber and toe settings on the rear of the G37 and 370Z are fairly aggressive for performance reasons. If you flip them in the current condition and decide to take a corner, that piece of the contact patch of the tire is likely going to send you off trajectory fairly quickly, especially if there's road debris or rain.

You can always do it to get by, but make sure when you swap that the tire is still pointed in the correct rotational direction. I don't recommend it at all, however. These cars eat through tires - gotta pay to play.

megalodon
Car: 2003 G35 6MT
2012 G37s 7AT Convertible

I had them rotated last night. It definitely helped but didn't get rid of the noise completely. The tires are fairly new, I think they are just junk. They are General G-MAX AS-03 - All season. They seem to get good reviews but I have nothing good to say about them.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”