roof rail

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
jimsbmw
Car: 2003 E240 Avangarde with AMG wheels 2006 M35 will all mods!!!

I was wondering if I can change the roof rail from the black to the new chrome ones on the 2004 and do they also have the chrome cross bar and how much it would cost for the parts.

Thanks

Omahafx
Car: any outdoor activities, cars, reading

I was told by the dealer that it isn't possible......but I think he is wrong. He did say it was a factory install item. Good luck with this one!

jimsbmw

Thanks

and will keep you updated if it is possible

NISTECH

I know you cant swap a roof rail onto the vehicles that dont have them but on the pathfinder for example you can swap from the long runner bars to the track type rails since the mounting points are the same. although it is labor intensive since the head liner needs to be dropped to gain access. But I dont see why you couldnt swap from one rail setup to the other on your FX.

jimsbmw

Thanks

Nismon

Not true. I have successfully added polished chrome rails to my 45. they'll cost you $536 for the pair. the crossbars are additional $200. To switch from black, simply remove the plastic base covers and unbolt old rails and replace with shiny chrome ones.which city are you in Taiwan? I used to live in Taichung.

NISTECH

you swapped one for the other. That I said was a possibility. I said if it didnt have a rail at all you couldnt add one.

Nismon

mine didn't have the rails and I added it. new rails comes with different mounting bases to mount from underneath headliner but you could also just bolt from top with the correct spacers, using the mounting base that came with the smooth roof option.I figure it would be even easier for jimsbmw since he already have the mount with the threaded post, and all he wanted was to swap from black to chrome.

jimsbmw

Thanks for all the info. I am currently living in Taipei Taiwan right now and just got some 22" for my FX 35 and will have pics for everyone to see once the rain stops over here.

NISTECH

Nismon wrote:mine didn't have the rails and I added it. new rails comes with different mounting bases to mount from underneath headliner but you could also just bolt from top with the correct spacers, using the mounting base that came with the smooth roof option.I figure it would be even easier for jimsbmw since he already have the mount with the threaded post, and all he wanted was to swap from black to chrome.

Thats interesting. When I was at tech school a year or so ago adding roof racks came up in casual conversation and the instructor told us unless the vehicle came equiped with a roof rack its roof structure was not designed to carry weight so adding the roof rack was not an option.[Nissan and Infiniti techs are trained in the same class room and in many cases trained on the same vehicles. Any thing heard there on nissans usually applies to infinitis as well.] It must be something either new or exclusive to infiniti vehicles

Nismon

That's true. My dealer offered tips on installing the rails and is willing to order the parts, but will not perform the actual install for that very reason. Self install was easy enough though and seems like as long as the bolts doesn't vibrate loss, the capacity shouldn't be any less than factory installed rails, which is round 100 lbs. I don't intend to exceed that anyway. I've recheck the mounts after 1 month of carrying around 50 lbs on the rack and everything seems to be tight. hopefully the liquid thread lock will keep it tight.I think the dealership should set up some sort of a bulletin for exchanges. because I've known fx owners paying money to have their rails removed for that smooth sporty look, and then there's other owners like me that had to do some research and expense to get the rails on.

Wow, 22 in wheels huh? should be interesting. would it throw off the speedometer/computer? or use smaller tires to make up the difference?

jimsbmw

Well I am running thinner tires for it, I am using 285-35-22 tires on a 22 x 9.5 wheels

Return to “Murano Forum”