Roof Panel Dents

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
airchairn
Car: 2009 G-37 Conv.

I noticed two weeks ago a small dent on the front of the middle roof panel now there is one on the other side this is my wife's car and I know she has treated it kindly I saw another post on here about dropping off a curb this car has not been thru any of that. Anyone seeing this as this car is 2 month old now

2moresheep
Car: Infiniti G37S

Yes. I have the same kind of dent in the middle roof panel, about 1 inch from the front seam and 1 inch from the right side seam. it is about 1/2 inch long, straight, oriented front to back. It appeared at about 2000 miles. So far I don't have one on the left.

Does this sound like yours? Anyone else have the same problem?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I have a couple of small ones that you really have to look for to find. They were due to me being stuck on a freeway during a hail storm. A POS 90's Camry and some other POS had stopped under the bridge, blocking the entire road in order to stop the hail from hitting their cars. I wanted to kill'em....

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Steve, any service advisories on convertible dents?

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

Hey, I just made a post (before I saw this one) about that very thing. I'm not sure by my wife may have caused it, but it would be nice if I could attribute it to a design issue.

airchairn

So we finally had the car in for it first service. What the Dealer and Infiniti had to say about the DENTS

1) possible cause something in the trunk DID NOT HAPPEN

2) If for any reason you let your finger off the button and stop the roof before it is retracted you get DENTS as they advise you in the owners manual to hold your finger on the button is this real life it can happen this thing should be able to handle this happening once or twice Infiniti says NO WARRANTY

SUCK SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

airchairn wrote:So we finally had the car in for it first service. What the Dealer and Infiniti had to say about the DENTS

2) If for any reason you let your finger off the button and stop the roof before it is retracted you get DENTS as they advise you in the owners manual to hold your finger on the button is this real life it can happen this thing should be able to handle this happening once or twice Infiniti says NO WARRANTY

SUCK SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT IS TOTAL BS!!!I dont have this issue and I am mad about this. learly a design flaw. Makes me want to do this to the designers

Potomac-Greg

airchairn wrote:So we finally had the car in for it first service. What the Dealer and Infiniti had to say about the DENTS

SUCK SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's solve two problems at once. Make little, flexible radio antennae to cover the dents, and delete the lump on the trunk!

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hey y'all, boy it's much colder in dc than it was in Mexico, pardon the absence.

As far as roof dents go I've seen Gregs other post and all I can say now is hang tight. I know nothing at this point and don't mean to open a can of worms so I am going to keep it short.

As soon as I hear anything legit I'll let you know.

2moresheep
Car: Infiniti G37S

My car finally had its first service. My dealership's take on the dents was that I had put something in the trunk and then tried to close it. This is patently untrue as I NEVER allow anything in the trunk.

So already we are hearing 2 separate stories on why the dents appear (and why it's the owner's fault!)

airchairn

So anybody ever hear anything on these roof dent? It is not right that a car dents it's self and it is the owners fault

KayC

There is a thread on this with photos on here and the other G37 forum. He lined up the dents with the hinges/brackets of the roof itself. It is called the snake bites thread. Very interesting. I am paronoid to hit even the slightest little bump with my top down. I called the dealer and had them put it my notes that I am concerned about this. KayC

pwlorraine
Car: 2009 G37 convertible moon white / stone / auto / sport/premium/nav/tech 2010 EX35 nav/bose/premium/

I posted the pics and took my car in. Since the shop visit a little more than a month back the problem has not come back. I'm trying to convince myself it never happened.

Peter

MarinDon
Car: 2010 G37 Vert - Midnight Garnet

Same problem on my wife's vert - at 300 miles noticed the 2 dents. Dealer knew immediately that the dents were caused by pausing while operating the top. He said there is a panel that continues moving when the button is released before open cycle is completed causing the dents.
Initial reaction by dealer was "it's in the user guide" though luck, the repair is not covered. After pointing out that the salesperson should have advised us of the design flaw and, he may have even paused while demonstrating the operation to us, the dealer covered the repair.

2010 G37 Vert Midnight Garnet

gcirillo

Heck, it would pause if you were rolling while dropping the top. You can roll about 2 mph, but any higher and it stops. If they designed it to stop due to overspeed, then they should cover damage that results.

rjbrown
Car: G37 Coupe Convertible

Do any of you have trouble with your roof not clicking in and causing a malfunction, this is when the roof is operated by being in Park/ with foot on brake pedal and the button is depressed through the entire roof going up to be closed and it does not latch properly on one side? HELP Am I stuck with a lemon?

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

No issues with my car or the roof which is over a year old....
Sorry to hear you are having problems ...

psdenno
Car: 2010 G37 Convertible

I just returned from the local dealer after stopping by the service department with the same problem that happened last weekend. Initially, I was told that either my wife or I must have left something in the trunk and then opened the roof. I explained that that hadn't happened. Nor had we stopped the opening cycle and then restarted it it while stowing the roof.

Rather than just moving me on and brushing off the issue, the service manager was great and researched the problem, came up with a cycle check, and determined that the the hydraulic pump was faulty. New pump is on order and the dented roof panel will be repaired or replaced.

I couldn't be happier with the service department - they solved a problem and took care of a concerned customer. Exactly what I would expect from Infiniti. Perfect!
Dennis

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I'm sorry to see that this thread is still going on....

Every dealer has different information on this topic, it seems as every cause I have seen here is slightly different and coincidental. There appear to be allot of things that can cause the same results. The regional managers do not seem to know what is going on. If you are not satisfied with your dealers answers call CA.

KatB84

My dealership's take on the dents was that I had put something in the trunk and then tried to close it. This is patently untrue as I NEVER allow anything in the trunk.
These dents showed up on our car this weekend. I took it to the dealer this morning and as soon they saw the dents on both sides they told me the same thing. I told them it's not possible, we always drop the divider when we use the trunk (rarely). They told me they see this issue regularly, it's a known problem, but not covered under the warranty. The friendly advice I received was that I could pay $600 to have it fixed. :mad: I've been so happy with the car and our dealer so far, it's a bit disappointing to be dealing with this after only 9 months with the car. I'll be sending a letter with pictures to Infiniti Corporate and see where that gets me.

cmesurf

KatB84 wrote:
My dealership's take on the dents was that I had put something in the trunk and then tried to close it. This is patently untrue as I NEVER allow anything in the trunk.
These dents showed up on our car this weekend. I took it to the dealer this morning and as soon they saw the dents on both sides they told me the same thing. I told them it's not possible, we always drop the divider when we use the trunk (rarely). They told me they see this issue regularly, it's a known problem, but not covered under the warranty. The friendly advice I received was that I could pay $600 to have it fixed. :mad: I've been so happy with the car and our dealer so far, it's a bit disappointing to be dealing with this after only 9 months with the car. I'll be sending a letter with pictures to Infiniti Corporate and see where that gets me.
Just Call Infiniti Customer Service. :mad:

@PanamaJon
Car: G37

This has been bothering me for some time, and when I had some time last week I took my G37 convertible to the dealership I got my whip at, Holman Infiniti in Ft Lauderdale.

Also had a problem with the bluetooth rattle and the roof rattle, so was hoping to take care of everything in one shot. Oh, and the rubber molding around the back of the car was peeking out of the trunk, too.

Dealer held onto the car for the better part of the afternoon, and then told me he needed to order new parts for the roof rattle, would take a few days. No problem, all covered.

When I went back to the dealership for the loaner paperwork there was a wet stain on the driver's side carpet that he couldn't explain :mad: and he never once mentioned the snake bites, which I again asked him to look at. Stock response - "Oh yeah, the body shop looked at it, it's your fault for having something in the trunk when you were opening the roof". NO NO NO. I don't keep anything back there, it's simply untrue.

When he called me that the roof rattle was fixed, again I asked him about the snakebite, and got the same answer - not covered by warranty, basically telling me to go to hell.

So I have a $50,000+ car for less than a year that had to go back to the dealer for roof rattle, service bulletin to solve another rattle (which I learned of on the internet, dealer never contacted me with the info), the rubber molding is falling apart, and there are identical roof dings that I've been blamed for.

Infiniti, it would take so little to keep me as a customer because I otherwise love my vert, yet you go to such lengths to make me mad that I spent so much on what amounts to a flawed vehicle.

cmesurf

call Infiniti Customer service, all this is covered under warranty, ..

flatheadfisher

You can read about my experience here: new-convertible-dinged-already-t521373.html#p5952436
They fixed the roof but now you can see swirl marks in the paint...

cmesurf

flatheadfisher wrote:You can read about my experience here: new-convertible-dinged-already-t521373.html#p5952436
They fixed the roof but now you can see swirl marks in the paint...
No posts exist inside this topic link "new-convertible-dinged-already-t521373.html#p5952436"

cdibella
Car: 2011 Infinity G37

I have the same issue. The dents appeared within two weeks of us having the car. We got it in July. The first time we took it in for service, I reported the problem. We were told only the Service Director could deal with the issue and he wasn't there that day. (Even though I had mentioned the issue two days earlier when I scheduled the appointment.)

We just took it to a second dealer for it's second service and when I reported the issue I was told that we did it by leaving something in the trunk...sound familiar?

Our experience with Infiniti has not been the best. Our personal items were stolen out of our trade-in, we were shorted $2500 on the trade...and never received so much as an apology. We were told we needed to see the general manager, but he wasn't there that day either.

We were promised the screen divider would be ordered for $300...never happened.

We were supposed to get a phone call regarding window tinting...never happened.

We never received a thank you call from the sales agent.

It's still a wonderful car and a pleasure to drive, but the service could be better. You could get a house for the price of one...I think next time we'll go back to Lexus...

tkogrady
Car: Infiniti G37 Convertible

I have a 2010 G37 I bought new. About a month after I bought it, I found two dents in the roof, one above each door. The dealer claimed I left something in the truck, damaged the roof myself and wouldn't fix it. I appealed to the regional service rep - and no dice - so I had to pay $600 to fix the dents. Fast forward - the roof has been rattling like crazy and after 5 visits and 19 days in the shop, I finally put a claim into the Better Business Bureau. Infiniti now says the rattle is my fault and points to this incident two years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wh_Asiup0Y

I know a number of other people have had this problem, there is a whole thread on the Nissan owners website. If you have had similar issues with dents and rattles in your convertible, drop me a line at [email protected]. If I get enough responses, I'm going to look into a potential class action lawsuit.
Last edited by tkogrady on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Did you call corporate customer service and complain or simply stop at the regional manager?

Bet they (your dealership) would have a change of heart if you showed up with vinyl letters on your rear windows saying "don't buy a G37 convertible at "this dealer" because the roof is defective and they won't fix it".

tkogrady
Car: Infiniti G37 Convertible

Not for the dents two years ago, but I have now for the rattle. Also filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau. If it were just me and I intentionally misused the vehicle, that would be one thing. But there are a number of people out there in the same boat.

audtatious

People with Infiniti's usually treat them much better than a Kia, Hyundai, Honda owner.....Something most Infiniti dealerships understand.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”