Roof Cross Rails- Question?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
thebunk
Car: EX35

Picked up my EX last week and the dealer had put on the CROSS RAILS on the roof racks.I didn’t order it with them but didn’t want to go thru the time that night to have them removed.My question is:Could they DECREASE Mpg from added drag & Added WIND NOISE ?Do any of you engineers have insight?Thanks for your help Bunk

michel
Car: 2008 fully loaded EX35 AWD Dark Currant and Stone interior

found this information on another thread.
fraggle wrote:Be forwarned...I found that there was SIGNIFICANT wind noise on the interior with crossbars compared to without.

Now, if you are one to have the audio system at "11" constantly, then won't be a prob for you.
Ciao for now

EX35-V
Car: 2008 EX35 (Tidewater w/racks)

It should not decrease MPG, just a bit more wind noise when open the sunroof.

waltaz

I am going to get an EX35 and need to rack mountain bikes. I will get the Infiniti rails, and am undecided on Thule/Yakima crossbars, or the Infiniti's. In either case, a fairing (wind deflector) will greatly reduce the wind noise. I've got fairings for my Thule crossbars, but don't know if there will be a fairing available for the Infiniti crossbars.

fraggle
Car: ex35

Oh I suspect there WOULD be reduction in MPG from increased drag. The only evidence I have to support this is my own experience test driving all of the ex35s on the dealer's lot last weekend. (Prior to buying one - without the rails). The audible wind noise on the unit with crossbars was clearly noticable to me and present even with the sunroof closed and interior sunroof shade closed.

I think the reduction in MPG would be on the order of hundredths or thousandths, and whether that is noticable or significant is unlikely, in my opinion. But note that my field is biologic, not physics.

The wind noise was alone enough for me to abandon the roof rails, and I rather prefer the lines of the vehicle without. Naturally, everyone's tastes and needs vary.

Doubt this helped, posted it anyway.

EX35-V
Car: 2008 EX35 (Tidewater w/racks)

My car has both options (racks/cross bars) and I hardly heard any noise from it...then again, I never paid attention on the noise issue when I test drove the non-equipped vehicle.

Either I am going deaf or you SIR has a very sensitive ears!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”