"Rollover Sensor"

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
szhark

Has anyone else received the same package that is mentioned in this blog:

http://www.offmadisonave.com/b...nd-pr

??? I just got the same letter today.. I'm wondering if I should collect my 2k..

Any thoughts?

Apple Jack
Car: EX 35 Journey

Hi

Just received my letter and am going to opt for the rebuy.Give it some thought and I will check back later.
Modified by Apple Jack at 9:13 PM 5/5/2008

szhark

I don't understand why this is funny..

Apple Jack

Did not mean it to be funny.. Pressed the wrong smiley.However this mistake will cost Nissan quite a lot of money..

1stEXinCT
Car: 2008 EX 35 AWD Journey

I received it yesterday in the mail (5/5). What a surprise until I saw the blog. Class action suit. Is it viable?

Anyway, the $2,000 should fill up the tank at least 30 times at almost $4.00 a gallon.

herk
Car: ex35

Not home so i haven't gotten the letter. But i wonder if I will. I just purchased the EX on saturday and perhaps they've already fixed the issue on more recently purchased EX's. By they way apple jack, why opt for the buy back?

TH808

I just received FedEx also, I'm considering buy back option.

rubbersidedown
Car: Infiniti EX35. Black & Chestnut. All options but Tech Pkg. RWD.

I received the letter several days ago, and I am very troubled about it. I specifically recall thinking to myself at the time of purchase that having this sensor was a very good thing - as did the numerous reviewers who listed it as a notable safety feature.

The letter does not state the specific terms of either option. Of course, a release of possible legal claims has to be in the mix for the $2K payment. I can't help but imagine that the buy-back has some fairly tough terms written to encourage you to take the $2K. If anyone has taken the step of making either selection, please share with this thread the details of the terms to help others sort out their decision, the deadline for which isn't until August, I believe. Thanks, and BTW, is it too weird that my chosen name on this forum, Rubbersidedown, is derived from the wish that one not rollover?!!

jmess

Hum, I wondered why my window sticker says "Corrected Copy" in bold print at the top. I think my car came on one of the first boat loads so they must have replaced the sticker before I bought the car at the end of March.

Mark Booth

I believe Inifiniti has sold no more than 2,000 or so EX35s to-date. Let's call it 2,500. At $2K per, that's $5M. That's a pittance compared to the multi-million$ that it would cost them for a class-action suit.

Take the buy-back or the $2K. DO NOT even remotely think about waiting for a class-action suit. You will NEVER get that much from a class-action suit. You'll get $100 in credit toward your next Infiniti purchase and the lawyers will get $20 million!

And oh... the $100 credit will take 5-10 years to arrive!

I'm taking the $2K! I love the EX35 and wouldn't begin considering having them buy it back.

Mark
Modified by Mark Booth at 7:22 PM 5/13/2008

TH808

just mailed my repurchase form, lets see what's going to happen...

Widman
Car: 2007 BMW335 convertible, 2011 EX35

Does anyone know if this applies to leasing the vehicle thru Infinity?

TD

Mark Booth wrote:I believe Inifiniti has sold no more than 2,000 or so EX35s to-date. Let's call it 2,500. At $2K per, that's $50K. That's a pittance compared to the million$ that it would cost them for a class-action suit.

Take the buy-back or the $2K. DO NOT even remotely think about waiting for a class-action suit. You will NEVER get that much from a class-action suit. You'll get $100 in credit toward your next Infiniti purchase and the lawyers will get $20 million!

And oh... the $100 credit will take 5-10 years to arrive!

I'm taking the $2K! I love the EX35 and wouldn't begin considering having them buy it back.

Mark
2,500 x $2,000 is $5,000,000, not $50,000.

Mark Booth

That's what I said!

Mark

Mark Booth

For those that opt for buy-back, just curious regarding your reason(s)?

1) Gas mileage too low and gas prices too high?2) Car payments killing the budget?3) Simply can't stand the car?4) Insert your reason here

Mark

Mark Booth

So, nobody wants to fess up about why they are choosing the buy-back option?

I wonder if the buy-back will include the sales tax and registration fees? If you don't get the sales tax back, the buy-back is hardly a good deal. The sales tax on my EX35 was almost $3,500.

Mark

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Wow - that's cheap!! We pay 13% tax in Ontario, plus gas tax, plus A/C tax, plus tire tax!!!

TH808

I'm satisfied with gas mileage. It's a nice car but it still doesn't have that solid feeling as german car, the more I drive it, the more I can feel. Speed sensing wiper is useless, imo. Auto headlight sensing also bothers me, I think that sensitivity setting doesn't make any difference. Quality of finishing in hidden places, i.e. metal around the gas cap, is poor.

I can live with all these but since there's a buy-back option that we all have, I'd rather get rid of this car. I hope they will give sales tax back.
Mark Booth wrote:So, nobody wants to fess up about why they are choosing the buy-back option?

I wonder if the buy-back will include the sales tax and registration fees? If you don't get the sales tax back, the buy-back is hardly a good deal. The sales tax on my EX35 was almost $3,500.

Mark

TH808

Infiniti representative told me that they will refund everything: including tax, license, registration, etc. As long as it's beloew 5000 miles, there will be no deduction. It would take 3-4 weeks to get the money back after they receive the application.

waltaz

Does this apply if you leased, or only if you purchased?

Apple Jack

It does not matter whether leased or purchased. The only difference is the paper work required. Don't hold me to this but the letter explains.

Mark Booth

Those choosing to have Infiniti buy back your EX35 might want to make a phone call to clarify the terms and conditions of the buy back. I just called the 800 number listed on the letter and the Infiniti representative told me that they are deducting (keeping) 15 cents per mile for ALL mileage. I made a point of specifically asking about the reported 5,000 mile or less mentioned by TH808 and the rep was adamant that it is 15 cents per mile for ALL mileage.

For 5,000 miles, that would be a deduction of $750.

Also, the rep explained how the buy-back program will work. Once they receive the paperwork, they will notify a third-party company (she told me the name but I didn't write it down). That company will contact the customer and set up an appointment to meet at a specific Infiniti dealership. The company rep will inspect your EX35, assess the mileage, and then write you the buy-back check on the spot (if you paid cash) or pay off your lease/loan balance or a combination of the two. You will then leave the EX35 at that Infiniti dealership. According to the rep, the buy-back program will actually progress a bit more quickly than the $2K refund. She said that it typically takes the third-party company about 3 days to contact the customer (once Infiniti has all of the paperwork) while the $2K refund option will take 3-4 weeks.

It will be interesting to see how smoothly this all progresses. I look forward to reading reports from others.

Mark

Apple Jack

Hi Mark,You were one of the first to have a EX 35 and like the rest of us, we were all excited about the car. Thanks for the info on the buy back. I have opted for the buyback and once it is completed I will tell you my reasons for turning it in. I still think it is a great car but having the oppourtunity to start fresh kind of intrigues me. I have had in my lifetime about 50 cars and getting a new car is a high I get that booze and now you know what cannot compare. I enjoy your posts and value your opinion.

Mark Booth

BTW, don't assume that I will be partaking in the Buy Back. Currently, I do not plan to. I enjoy the EX35 too much to let it go now. I simply called Infiniti to better understand my options.

That said... I am no big rush to send in the $2K refund letter either. I want to wait and see some reports from folks that have done both (and completed them).

Mark

Widman
Car: 2007 BMW335 convertible, 2011 EX35

Do you have the 800 number to contact the appropriate dept?

FLAMEX
Car: EX35

I'm not eligible but you'd really have to hate the car to take the buy back. Two grand in your pocket for a misprint on the window sticker, and you still have a fabulous vehicle.

rubbersidedown
Car: Infiniti EX35. Black & Chestnut. All options but Tech Pkg. RWD.

I made my decision this past summer to buy a new vehicle, and yet everything I studied in the 35K-40K price range left me uninspired. I read of the coming EX and decided to wait for its release. I purchased it the first week the EX was on the local lot, and haven't really second-guessed the choice - it is a very nifty package. So, I am curious what vehicle(s) you find that compete with the EX when you compare power, handling, braking, gadgets, comfort and sharp styling. Other than the upcoming Audi Q5 and the Volvo X60, nothing seems to scratch as many itches for me as the EX. Despite my displeasure with not having the sensor feature, I'm leaning towards the cash settlement for the misrepresentation, but I"m all ears. Thanks,

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

For TH808 that said the EX doesn't compare to a German ride, I have to disagree. I've driven Audi for 20 years (including two S4's, the last of which I just sold when I bought the EX), and have spent entire days in BMWs during driver training classes (in addition, of course, to countless test drives of various models).

For the class of car that it is - not a 2-seater, not a sport coupe and not even a sport sedan, the driveability of the EX is up to any German I've come across, and I'm not alone in believing that.

Whichever side of that debate you occupy, it's absolutely incontrovertible that the EX is great value compared to any German marque.

BTW, if you're looking for something similar, with German DNA, the new 2009 BMW X6 might fit the bill. Just price it though, and you'll see EXACTLY what I mean!!!

I'm not eligible in Canada, but if I was offered this option, I would go with the $2K.

RCF
Car: EX35

I haven't seen anything from Infiniti on my Ex35, bought in mid-Feb (Tech, Luxe, Prem pkg). I couldn't find anything about a "Rollover Sensor" on my Maroney (sp?) sticker. Anyone know the dates involved?

I really like the car - my only quibble is that the Blue Slate is much darker than it appears in the delaer brochure.

Mark Booth

The Rollover Sensor is listed under Safety equipment and is part of the description for the side-curtain air bags. It says something like "Side-Curtain Air Bags w/Rollover Sensor". If yours doesn't list the Rollover Sensor with the Side-Curtain Air Bags, then they changed the sticker before you bought your EX35 and you won't be getting the letter.

Mark

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”