Rolling Shell Value

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Through misfortune I have come into possession of a modern Camaro engine and transmission and want to implant them into a 240/260/280z to make a streetable car.

Since my Series I is rust free and has a recently overhauled matching numbers engine, I won't be tearing into it. This makes me in the market for a rolling shell.

Ran across a 260Z with blown engine but very sound body. It was purchased by someone thinking about getting it back on the road after years of storage but lost interest after pulling the head. There it has sat for about a year. Dash has typical cracks.

The owner has a number based on what he paid (too much). The front valence was replaced by a fiberglass spoiler, it has a fiberglass hood, and had some damage to the lower radiator support as if it had run over something. Paint shows some bubbling on the top meaning it would require a strip and re-paint.

All this considered, just what is a reasonable offer price? Adding engine/tranny/electronics/instrument conversion, paint and other parts, I can easily see the bill exceeding what I could ever get for the car.

So just what is a sound rolling chassis worth?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

It's hard to put a value on something like this. I'd personally say a decent complete 260 roller should be around $1000. Complete drivers can be had for $4-5K. 240's are worth more. Obviously a nicer car brings more, and a rusted out tub is nearly worthless.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Thanks Evil,
Even with some of the replacement parts included, he was expecting twice what I thought it was worth. And with the partial disassembly, twice the hassle to get it home.

This leaves me looking for a good rolling shell to quell my thoughts of pulling the matching numbers engine.
First step is pulling the engine/tranny and building a cradle for it. Next is building a stand alone harness.

I had hopes of pulling the instrument cluster, but I find there are several LANs in the car and the engine and cluster are on different speed LANs with the body control unit acting as a gateway. Adding the body control involves too many booby traps including the engine immobilizer.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”