Rogues in winter?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kuusselka
Car: Nissan Rogue

Any thoughts on how to maintain and keep the Rogue clean (mostly) in winter?

I live in Winnipeg, Canada where the city's solution to snow is to throw as much dirt and salt on the roads as possible. I've had it less than a week, I've already had it washed once and it's already filthy.

kcfm
Car: former rogue owner

kuusselka wrote:Any thoughts on how to maintain and keep the Rogue clean (mostly) in winter?

I live in Winnipeg, Canada where the city's solution to snow is to throw as much dirt and salt on the roads as possible. I've had it less than a week, I've already had it washed once and it's already filthy.
...move to Florida.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I live in Alberta which isn't quite as bad as Winnipeg but I know what you mean. If you aren't aware already, read the thread on "scratching on lower door sills". This is essential, or you will have rusted door sills in a matter of weeks. It is a simple fix to correct a TERRIBLE Nissan lower door sill design, but if you don't you will need to have the sills repainted. Check the glossary sticky post at the top to locate the thread, as it is buried.

Other than that, give it a coat of high quality wax and wash it when you can. The sheet metal is coated so undercarriage rust shouldn't be an issue like it used to be with cars from say, the early 80's.

desiguy

I don't think that Winnipeg uses salt. Ontario uses quite a bit of salt. In regards to keeping your ride clean, kerrton is right

Nick 568
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I live in Anchorage, AK, and I know how you feel. I haven't found any special trick for keeping it clean. I just try to wash it every so often in the laser wash and pay for the one with all the wax protection and stuff since it's better than nothing.

philipa_240sx

1 - Use a quality wax. This helps to reduce the amount of dirt sticking to the paint.

2 - Wash frequently. Hand washing is so hard during winter, I usually take it to the local power wash and wash the crud off at least once per week.

kuusselka
Car: Nissan Rogue

philipa_240sx wrote:1 - Use a quality wax. This helps to reduce the amount of dirt sticking to the paint.

2 - Wash frequently. Hand washing is so hard during winter, I usually take it to the local power wash and wash the crud off at least once per week.
Yeah, that's what I've been reading... wash every 10 days or so.
kerrton wrote:I live in Alberta which isn't quite as bad as Winnipeg but I know what you mean. If you aren't aware already, read the thread on "scratching on lower door sills". This is essential, or you will have rusted door sills in a matter of weeks. It is a simple fix to correct a TERRIBLE Nissan lower door sill design, but if you don't you will need to have the sills repainted. Check the glossary sticky post at the top to locate the thread, as it is buried.

Other than that, give it a coat of high quality wax and wash it when you can. The sheet metal is coated so undercarriage rust shouldn't be an issue like it used to be with cars from say, the early 80's.
I'm going to have to look into this door thing a bit more and contact the dealership. I took a look this morning. I don't see any noticible scratches, but there was a lot of dirt and water built up in the back door sills.

Return to “Rogue Forum”