Rogue tinting question

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hello,

So I scoured the forums for any and all information on window tinting, and there were some inconsistencies, so I was hoping to see if anyone has any more recent experience.

Two things I'm looking for feedback on:
1) Tinting front windows only
2) Tinting windshield and/or adding a top strip

I have a 2008 Rogue, with factory tinted back windows. I plan on tinting the front windows soon, and I'm deciding between trying to match them, or to go lighter. There is inconsistencies regarding the percentage of tint that matches the rear windows. I have seen users here say that 18%-20% matched nearly perfectly, I have seen users say that once inside the car, 20% on the front actually looked darker than the factory rear tint, and I have seen people say it was measured at roughly 25%.

I'm a tinting newbie myself, and will likely aim for 35% because I want to make sure I can see well but depending on feedback, I'd consider going darker if users here seem to love 20%.

In regards to the windshield, all I have ever seen posted in this forum thus far are people saying they "will" tint the windshield or add a strip. There was a post saying that a professional installer recommended not touching windshield because the dot matrix will ruin it, however I know there are numerous methods around this (or more so, methods to lessen the hideous-ness)

Has anyone actually added a top strip of tint, or vinyl, or tinted their whole windshield at all? And if so, what are you experiences with it?

I may be going to a tint installer within the next couple days, and will inquire with them as well, I'll be sure to post any feedback I get, for anyone who's interested in the future.

Thanks guys and keep your wheels on the road :)

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

My pro installer had no problem tinting over the matrix with a sun strip.

Only problem is that I failed inspection TWICE!

Even asm is technically not legal but we made it work.

Second time I removed my damn strip I razor scratched my window to $hit.

Dumb law, only way I was able to past inspection was having my tinter install a decal under the sunstrip to make it legal.

Yah, my state is stupid as hell and we still need front plates and led aftermarket bulbs are illegal.

Oh yah, I put limo tint on top of my oem tint.

While drivers tint is lightest illegal I could have. Forgot percentage. But from afar it looks great tint wise and I can see clear at night.

Karona
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Thanks Casper, I did remember reading about your post during my research for the topic. That's pretty funny that you can get away with having lettering. I actually also had thoughts of purchasing some kinda decal for the windshield.

Regarding the tint, does that backglass have any 'silvering' along the dotted matrix outline? I was considering potentially just doing the whole vehicle if the tint colours didn't match up right

Being in Ontario, I don't believe tint is part of any inspections here luckily. Glad to hear that the matrix didn't have any issues for you. Too bad about the razor scratch. I feel like glass is supposed to be harder than razor metal, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Karona
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Just thought I'd update this for anyone's future reference.

I ended up tinting the front windows 20%, and the windshield 50%.

So far, loving it. The 20% matches really well with the factory tinted glass in the rear/back, however from the inside, it does appear as though the front is slightly darker unfortunately, it's hard to tell from a picture but in person it's a bit more obvious.

Regarding the windshield, I know there's a lot of debate and controversy about it, but at 50%, I pretty much don't notice much of a difference at all, and the cabin is significantly cooler inside, no more burning hot leather seats and steering wheel, absolutely love it.

The 20% on the sides are a bit darker than I think I would have liked, looking out of it to my side mirrors you definitely notice how dark it is. It's not dark enough where I have trouble, but I can imagine having bad eyes would make it an annoyance, so I'd definitely recommend a higher percentage if someone was looking into tinting their front windows as at night I found myself looking a bit harder which I don't like feeling I have to...

The next highest option at the shop I went to was 35% though which I didn't want to go that light. If I were to redo it, I think I'd seek out a place that could do 25% perhaps.
Attachments
20200812_181304.jpg
20200812_181444.jpg
20200812_200747.jpg

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Legal to tint the front 3 windows in Ontario? We can't have any tint one these three windows here in Alberta CA.

Karona
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

itsa300zx wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:26 am
Legal to tint the front 3 windows in Ontario? We can't have any tint one these three windows here in Alberta CA.
No, I believe the law in Ontario was very vague on tinting, and pretty much left it up to the officers discretion on whether they felt it was an unsafe percentage. I believe they recently passed a law where the front door windows have to have 30% or higher if the car was produced after 2017, or something weird like that

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I thought here in Ontario, you couldn't tint the windshield.

According to this article . . . no tint on front windshield and only 30% on front windows.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... %2C%202017.

https://www.audiomotive.com/are-tinted-windows-legal/

Before we got our used 2011 Nissan Rogue . . . we were actually looking at the 2016 Nissan Rogue new. But for cost we were looking at the S model, which didn't have AWD or rear tinted windows.

I was looking to have the back windows done. That is when I noticed what people were saying about front windshield tinting . . . and front window tinting.

But we ended up getting a used minivan that already had the rear windows tinted so I didn't have to finalize any details. Although I got a quote for ceramic tint for the 2016 Nissan Rogue.

Our used Rogue actually has the rear windows factory tinted, so again . . . I didn't have to dive into the details.

Take care. :)
TheRogue

Karona
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I find tint to be essential, I get hot really easily and dislike being in the sun (always looking for shade), so being able to sit in my car comfortably is a big deal. So far loving the tint! It's light enough that it hasn't drawn any attention (driven passed local police and OPP recently) but I'll be sure to update with any issues.

And that's correct, in Ontario (and probably most places) it's illegal to tint the windshield or put obstructing stickers. However if you were to put a completely clear ceramic tint on your windshield, only you would the be wiser and you'll cut down IR heat by 80%

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Karona wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:11 pm
I find tint to be essential, I get hot really easily and dislike being in the sun (always looking for shade), so being able to sit in my car comfortably is a big deal. So far loving the tint! It's light enough that it hasn't drawn any attention (driven passed local police and OPP recently) but I'll be sure to update with any issues.
+1. I hear you!
Karona wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:11 pm
And that's correct, in Ontario (and probably most places) it's illegal to tint the windshield or put obstructing stickers. However if you were to put a completely clear ceramic tint on your windshield, only you would the be wiser and you'll cut down IR heat by 80%
Ah. Now there's an idea! LOL. :)

Take care! :)
TheRogue.

Perf-Em
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SV, 118k miles

Karona,
How did you ghost in those skull & crossbone images on your back doors? It looks really well done!

Thanks,
Perfesser

Karona
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Perf-Em wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:54 am
Karona,
How did you ghost in those skull & crossbone images on your back doors? It looks really well done!

Thanks,
Perfesser
Sharp eyes haha, it's simply a black decal on a black car :)

Perf-Em
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SV, 118k miles

I'm not into pirate flags, but it's a very neat effect. Have to remember it should I ever find myself with a black car again!

Karona
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Perf-Em wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:27 am
I'm not into pirate flags, but it's a very neat effect. Have to remember it should I ever find myself with a black car again!
Yeah I thought it was cool too :) I imagine a similar effect of be achieved on any colour car but it's obviously easier with black or white lol

Return to “Rogue Forum”