Rogue third row seating.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
catnipple
Car: 2007 z33
1990 s13 hatch (ls1 swap in progress)
1997 dodge 1500
2004 dodge 3500

I like the idea of having the optional third row seating as offered in the new 2014 Rogue. Even if the third row is small, it'd give a safe and legal spot for friends of children, or friends with children needing a ride..

..although I wonder if this third row will be collapsible for the extra cargo area, when a third row of seats isn't needed.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

sprocket

Yes, they do fold down :)

When you opt for the 3rd row option (family package), it deletes the spare and you switch to run flat tires.
Also, the Divide-N-Hide® Cargo System goes from 2 to 1 divider since the seat takes up the space where the front divider would normally go.

catnipple
1997 dodge 1500
2004 dodge 3500

Awesome :bigthumb:

I was strongly considering a Juke when I thought I needed an SUV, but the new Rogue is looking better to me all the time.

sprocket

catnipple wrote:Awesome :bigthumb:

I was strongly considering a Juke when I thought I needed an SUV, but the new Rogue is looking better to me all the time.
The Juke is definitely smaller but it makes up for it in personality. My wife loves the Juke.
The 1.6 direct injection turbo feels pretty good and makes it feel fast and fun.

The Rogue IMO is the "do it all" vehicle. balance of utility, features, fuel economy and reasonable power, etc.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Honestly, I think it's a genuinely brilliant idea. It seems like a simple thing, but competition in the crossover world is insane, and seating for more broadens appeal dramatically. CRV and the horrible new redesigned RAV-4 don't offer it. Focus, Tucson, and Sportage don't either. Nissan's putting 7-seater capacity in the 5-seater price range, and it's going to serve them well. People who don't need it can choose not to opt for it. But people who want to seat 5 kids but don't want the higher costs, bigger size, and increased fuel economy of midsize crossovers can get the best of both worlds.
To my knowledge, Nissan's the only brand offering a compact SUV with 3 rows. So even if it's a small back seat, it's still bigger than NO back seat.

catnipple
1997 dodge 1500
2004 dodge 3500

My thoughts exactly..

kilogram
Car: 2010 Rogue Krom
2004 350Z performance

My wife wants something with 3rd row seating, and the new Rogue looks decent. The only reason I'm not jumping all over it is the fact that it has the same weak powertrain. They really should have added a V6 option. I'd gladly trade 5mpg for some decent torque, and the heavy duty CVT from the Murano would have a much easier life in a lighter weight Rogue (unless they porked this generation up). The CVTs really have issues up here in the mountains. Which sucks, because it drives better than any other auto box I've ever driven.

sprocket

kilogram wrote:My wife wants something with 3rd row seating, and the new Rogue looks decent. The only reason I'm not jumping all over it is the fact that it has the same weak powertrain. They really should have added a V6 option. I'd gladly trade 5mpg for some decent torque, and the heavy duty CVT from the Murano would have a much easier life in a lighter weight Rogue (unless they porked this generation up). The CVTs really have issues up here in the mountains. Which sucks, because it drives better than any other auto box I've ever driven.
If you want something with a V6 and are willing to trade 5mpg, then I think you're looking more at a Pathfinder IMO.
That comes with the 3.5L V6 with 260hp, rated at 20/26 city/hwy for the FWD and has a CVT.
IMO, that's why the Rogue doesn't offer a V6, it would push the price up and overlap with the Pathfinder.

Also look at the segment .... AFAIK, the majority of segment (CR-V, RAV-4, Outlander Sport) all come with just one 4 cylinder option to satisfy fuel economy demands of the CUV segment. A few exceptions ... Equinox can be had with a 4 or 6 cylinder and Escape and Hyundai/Kia offer multiple 4 cylinder options.

:chuckle:

catnipple
1997 dodge 1500
2004 dodge 3500

Though the new Rogue still has the four cylinder, it seems like I'd be great with rough terrain with the benefit of the CVT, and the intuitive all-wheel drive system to help with unexpected transitions in the road.

I know its no lifted big block dodge, but considering the comfort, mpg, and the optional third row seating, it seems to be quite capable.

A do-it-all vehicle, as Sprocket mentioned before.

kilogram
Car: 2010 Rogue Krom
2004 350Z performance

sprocket wrote:
If you want something with a V6 and are willing to trade 5mpg, then I think you're looking more at a Pathfinder IMO.
That comes with the 3.5L V6 with 260hp, rated at 20/26 city/hwy for the FWD and has a CVT.
IMO, that's why the Rogue doesn't offer a V6, it would push the price up and overlap with the Pathfinder.
Nope, I'm not looking at a Pathfinder. Why?

1. Because I don't want something that handles like a truck. I don't know about other people who buy crossover SUVs, but that was why I went with the Rogue. It handled comparably to the A4 I traded in on it. It's actually pretty nimble for an SUV. A pathfinder is... well... not. My wife had a rental Pathfinder when she was at a client site in Alabama and she hated it for the reasons I outlined above.

2. I want more torque for better performance. 260hp in a 6000lb Pathfinder is SLOWER than 170hp in a 3500lb Rogue. That little QR25 gets pretty anemic up at 8000ft. Besides, a power to weight ratio not far behind a 350Z would set it apart from this growing sector of the market more so than the stupid little "wow" features that so many automakers use nowadays to try to sell cars. Power is something you can use all the time. The novelty of back up cameras and bandwagon audi-style DRLs wears off eventually. I'm not saying a V6 standard, but at least have an option. They're going to be up against turbo 4s and diesels in the not-too-distant future. Why wait?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

kilogram wrote:Nope, I'm not looking at a Pathfinder. Why?

1. Because I don't want something that handles like a truck.
That's going to depend on which generation of Pathfinder you're driving.
The current, newly redesigned Pathfinder is a unibody crossover, related to the Altima, and does not handle like a truck. It's really just a 3-row Murano when you come down to it.
The last-generation Pathfinder WAS a truck, built on a very beefy ladder frame shared with Nissan's pickups (though it did have four-wheel independent suspension).
The Pathfinder before that was unibody, but was more akin to a Cherokee or Land rover and was still more or less a truck (including the solid rear axle).
And the original generation Pathfinder was again a real truck, being derived from the Hardbody pickup.

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

From everything I have seen thus far the third row replaces the "divide and hide" cargo system. Meaning that the 3rd row will fold flat but you lose the extra depth and the configurable space in the back.

I'm sure the take rate on this will be very small in North America and much higher in Europe (where owning and driving "true" 3 row cars like the pathfinder is very expensive). Being as this Rogue is a global car, built and sold all over the world, they just opted to provide the option to North American customers as well. Is the 3rd row too small for most people not to bother with it, it sure is, but given that it is a stand alone option I guess they saw the opportunity to gain some more customers. My guess is that the 3rd row will get the average 3rd row seeking soccer mom into the showroom, and assuming she really needs that 3rd row, into a Pathfinder.

Interestingly it seems that North American customers will be missing out on some premium features like (Ford style) self parking and radar parking sensors.
catnipple wrote:I like the idea of having the optional third row seating as offered in the new 2014 Rogue. Even if the third row is small, it'd give a safe and legal spot for friends of children, or friends with children needing a ride..

..although I wonder if this third row will be collapsible for the extra cargo area, when a third row of seats isn't needed.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: FIX IMAGE LINKS

DTASFAB

Terrible... how are the rear passengers supposed to exit if the vehicle catches fire? I'm assuming the way to get in and out is that the regular back seat on the passenger side folds down and slides forward like the front seat of a coupe. But this thing looks like a death trap to me. They should have made the last two seats rear-facing like in the old station wagons Detroit built in the 1970s. Then at least the kids could easily escape out the rear hatch.

Just wait until there are a few crashes with fatalities and the insurance companies start to catch on. The liability insurance on a 7-seater Rogue will be much higher than on the regular model, just like it's higher on a coupe compared to a sedan.

Exactly what every suicidal family needs - a high rate insurance death box with no spare tire and a transmission that won't let the engine rev over 3000 rpm whenever the temperature rises above 86°F - maybe we can convince the Duggars to buy four of them for their 28 kids and use them to play bumper cars in the back yard on the 4th of July.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote: Image
that just does NOT look safe lol

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

ImStricken wrote:
Rogue One wrote: Image
that just does NOT look safe lol
That just looks claustrophobic!

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Until the 2014 seven seater hits the showroom floor, this review is the best example of what to expect. Bearing in mind that on the redesign, in order to maximize space and provide some leg room for the 3rd row, the spare tire is omitted in favor of run-flat tires.
However, only gymnasts, those with trapped wind and members of the world’s oldest profession will feel truly at home in the third row of seats that differentiate the new Qashqai+2 from its smaller sibling. Whilst those of us who do not habitually live with our knees round our ears can only marvel at the gentle imperfections of an engineering solution that is supposed to constitute the very raison d’etre of the car…

Actually employing the third row of seats, however, provides a classic lesson in what happens when you treat engineers like mushrooms, keep them in darkened cellars and don’t let them out to play with other children enough…

So, open rear door, grab handle on top of middle seat and tug. Seat folds and slides forwards simultaneously. Fine. Now reach in and grab nylon strap in middle of third row seat back. Having lifted seat back through 45 degrees, realise that you need another hand to lift seat further, so half climb through narrow aperture to finish process. Seat stops in vertical position offering posture proposal sufficient to defeat even a Victorian nanny. Can’t now reach strap to adjust further. So get out of car again, go round to tailgate, open, and then tug nylon strap to tilt seat back into satisfactory rake. Now go back to passenger door, install mothering offspring, and slide middle seat back into original position. Nope. It too stops with seat back vertical, and secondary tinkering is required. Bonkers.

rashi
Car: Nissan rogue 2016

Hello

I need to know m going to buy Nissan rogue 2015 7 passenger. So concern is, can an adult 5'7" sit in 3rd row easily? How much space between 2nd and 3rd row? Pls reply thanx
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

rashi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:36 am
Hello

I need to know m going to buy Nissan rogue 2015 7 passenger. So concern is, can an adult 5'7" sit in 3rd row easily? How much space between 2nd and 3rd row? Pls reply thanx
Search function seem to be not working right. The short answer is not really. The 3rd row really is more suitable for children, basically anyone under five foot tall.

Return to “Rogue Forum”