Rogue SL 2018 ... Battery voltage question

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Flashfox
Car: 2018 Rogue SL Platinum

I have a 2018 Rogue SL Platinum and it's working just fine. However, I wonder if I am not heading towards a battery problem.
  • [Stock battery (no problems up to now)
  • Installed an after market HUD (connected to the diagnostics port)
  • Voltage reading on the battery is 11.8V (static, engine off)
  • When I start the engine, I see 14.3V (now dynamic and charging), then it switches to ~13.2 V after around 20 seconds, then ~12.4 V and stays in that zone all the time I drive.
  • When I turn off the engine, the voltage drops to ~11.8V (static)
  • Suspecting something is awry, I then used a digital Voltmeter meter and measured the same static voltage at the battery.
Note that I am NOT getting any error messages from my Rogue's computer. It's just me "Imagineering" as I always believed that the static battery voltage should normally be above 12V and the voltage when the car is running should be around ~13.8V.

I asked a Nissan mechanic and he said that this was "normal" ... hmm ... OK, as I am an engineer, "professional deformation" makes me wonder LOL. This is why I am asking over here.

Q1> Is this normal for the Rogue?

Q2> Am I heading towards a battery failure?

Q3> If so, is this the typical battery life of an OEM 2018 Nissan Rogue battery?

Flashfox
Car: 2018 Rogue SL Platinum

UPDATE - I went back and remeasured the battery, but this time directly on the battery terminals with the engine off. It's at 12.6V, which is normal. This tells me that I might need to clean the battery posts. In any event, the 3-year old battery is fine :-)

As they say ... "Live and learn"

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Also clean the surface area of dirt and dust because that also drains the battery.

Return to “Rogue Forum”