Rogue's OE Tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
travelman64

I have noticed the Rogue's have two different OE tires Dunlop & Continental's, what are some opinions from owners.

Thanks

wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

This is my first posting on here. I had a Saturn Vue. Now with a Rogue SL AWD. Much better!! My car has Cont. 4*4 's on it. I have been doing some research on these tires going to different web sites and reading owners opinions of them. They are not good. Very sort lived. Expect from what I was reading about 15,000 to 25,000 miles out of them. These are OEM tires on a lot of high end cars. I have all ready started to research my new ones. I figure in about a year or so, I will need new ones. The Yoko Avid TRZ's look good and Pirelli P4's. Both are available in the right size, 225/60r17's. I have taken a measurement of the tread depth on my tires right now and with 2000 miles on the car, 8/32's remain. That's not much. Most tires start off new at 10/32. I should also say that I did measure them when I first pulled up in the driveway after buying the car. They were 8/32.

wbloomfield

Also, I did see those Dunlop's on other Rogue's. I don't have any opinions on them at this time..... Hope this was all helpfull to you.

Peace,Chris

blaruffa
Car: Nissan Rogue

SL AWD with Continental 4x4. So far nice quiet ride, good in the rain, and on the sand. Awaiting Snow to see how they are. Since they are OE tire I wouldn't expect much more than 20k out of them.

cpca
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom White

We have Continentals on our Rogue and I haven't been impressed with them. They seem to transmit more road noise than new tires should. On one particular stretch of freeway, the lanes had been shifted, and the previous striping (which had been burned/scraped off) was exactly where the tires would normally track when the car is centered in the new lane. When driving on that section, it seemed like the tires actually amplified that particular noise frequency. I'm sure we will be talking to our tire guy and changing them out to another brand when the initial set wear down.

TwistyO

I have had Conti's on all my vehicles at one point or another. I've also had a pair of Dunlops.The Conti's have always been top notch tires. Very Very good performance wise, I have them on my GTI, and great in snow when I had them on my Pick-up. The Dunlops were horrible, in both categories.

I'm glad my Rogue came with Conti's. Although they may run down quicker than other tires because they are an aggressive tire.

The Yokohama Avids, I hear are also excellent tires.

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

TwistyO wrote:
The Yokohama Avids, I hear are also excellent tires.
Like you wouldn't believe

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

Where would be the good place to purchase a set of the Yokohama Avid tires? Sounds like a good choice for when the OEM tires reach retirement. I am in the Chicago area and the Yokohama dealer locator shows Discount Tire, but they don't have the Avids.

Thanks,Bill

jasonMz3

Discount Tire might be able to get them for you even though they don't carry them on a regular basis. I got my last set of tires from Discount and have been very happy with their service.

Rogue Man
Car: 06 Civic EX Coupe FG1

I want to get a set of lightweight aftermarket 18's for the Rouge and i wonder if i can use the stock TPMS with new tires too?

amr40509

Remember to keep close watch on your tire pressure -- this makes a huge diff.

EddNog

Rogue Man wrote:I want to get a set of lightweight aftermarket 18's for the Rouge and i wonder if i can use the stock TPMS with new tires too?
With the correct wheels, it should be no problem. Just be sure the new wheels are compatible with TPMS sensors and you can have your local shop relocate the sensors from your factory wheels to the new ones before mounting and balancing w/the new tires.

-Ed

nissantech06

EddNog wrote:
With the correct wheels, it should be no problem. Just be sure the new wheels are compatible with TPMS sensors and you can have your local shop relocate the sensors from your factory wheels to the new ones before mounting and balancing w/the new tires.

-Ed
And on top of that, make sure the rubber grommet sits right so that threads show to screw the nut on. You don't need to recalibrate the TPMS sensors unless you use new ones with the new wheels. The old ones will still be registered on the car.

JFP
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Phantom White

Interesting. I have a set of winter tires and wheels on order from Discount Tire, no sensors left in stock. How do I know if the sensors will be compatible with the wheels if I purchase them from a dealer? How do they get registered?

nissantech06

JFP wrote:Interesting. I have a set of winter tires and wheels on order from Discount Tire, no sensors left in stock. How do I know if the sensors will be compatible with the wheels if I purchase them from a dealer? How do they get registered?
Well, if anything you'll have to shave the rubber grommet down a little bit like I did to install a new one on my wheels. Are you planning on getting 4 sensors to have sensors in both the regular and aftermarket ones? If not, you won't need to have them reprogrammed. The dealer is the only place that can reprogram, it is hooked up to Consult III and a tool is used to flash each one to the BCM.

Allbluesman

As far as tire choices Yoko Avids shouldn't be used on the car they have a lower speed rating. The Geolanders have the correct but from past experience in selling those tires they do not last very long on AWD's. They are the OE tire on Subaru foresters and they only last about 20-25k. The tire to be watching for will be when Michelin catches up and puts out the LX4 in the correct speed rating. Thats is a much smoother tire than both the Conti's and the Dunlop (I have the Dunlop on my SL AWD). Conti's are pretty good, durability not so much Dunlop will probably hold up fairly well but to much road noise come from them thats my biggest complaint. The Dunlop Grandtreks are also were OE on many Toyota Suvs and same problem was noise mainly saw 30-40k as far as mileage. Pirelli has the P6 4Season's that will work due to the higher speed rating pro's would be comfort, and quietness. Durability will be about the same as the OE's if not a little better. Hope this helps If you have any other questions let me know I sell tires for a living.

nissantech06

Allbluesman wrote:As far as tire choices Yoko Avids shouldn't be used on the car they have a lower speed rating.
Which model Avids? I had H4S, they make V4S also. What is the speed rating on the Rogue, I haven't actually read the tire past the actual size yet.

Allbluesman

They make 2 Yoko's in the 225/60R17's the AVID TRZ in a 98T rating T=118mphand the Geolander A/T-S in a 99H rating H=130mph. The OE tires are a H rated tire. Most tire shops will not recommend the step down in speed rating though it can be done. As for the H4 and V4 neither are made in that size yet. So the Geolander would work on the car just wouldn't be a recommendation I would make, again from past experience with selling those tires. Again hope that helps.

wbloomfield

Allbluesman wrote:They make 2 Yoko's in the 225/60R17's the AVID TRZ in a 98T rating T=118mphand the Geolander A/T-S in a 99H rating H=130mph. The OE tires are a H rated tire. Most tire shops will not recommend the step down in speed rating though it can be done. As for the H4 and V4 neither are made in that size yet. So the Geolander would work on the car just wouldn't be a recommendation I would make, again from past experience with selling those tires. Again hope that helps.
I guess, it's how fast are you going to go?? The Rogue is not going to get up to 130mph. I don't even think it will get up to 105mph. The OEM tires on many new cars are over done where speed rating is concerned. The cars just are not capible of doing those types of speed so why are you going to put on the same ones(speed rating) again?? If you go down to a T rating, you will get a better price, more to choose from and a longer lasting tire in general. Still looking at the Yoko Avid TRZ or Pirelli P4's...

Jaded TC

wbloomfield wrote:
I guess, it's how fast are you going to go?? The Rogue is not going to get up to 130mph. I don't even think it will get up to 105mph. The OEM tires on many new cars are over done where speed rating is concerned. The cars just are not capible of doing those types of speed...
About the only thing I know about tires is I want good ones. I have gone a touch over 100mph in my Rogue and it felt like it had plenty left. Another poster said he hit 110mph. I don't think 130 would be a problem. Take me to the autobahn!

Allbluesman

Like I had said you can go down a step in Speed ratings we do it all the time, just not recommended. As with Honda Civics some of them come with V rated tires and theres no way in hell they will ever go past 150mph in a stock non race package. And the difference between an H rated and a T rated as far as how long they last more depends on the tire not the speed rating, in that case anyway. If you were comparing a W to a T I would agree the T would last longer but between the two its all in the tires.

wbloomfield

Jaded TC wrote:
About the only thing I know about tires is I want good ones. I have gone a touch over 100mph in my Rogue and it felt like it had plenty left. Another poster said he hit 110mph. I don't think 130 would be a problem. Take me to the autobahn!
There has to be a speed limit on the the computer. For me to believe that this Rogue can go over 110mph is a strech, let alone 130mph..

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

wbloomfield wrote:
There has to be a speed limit on the the computer. For me to believe that this Rogue can go over 110mph is a strech, let alone 130mph..
I'm sure the Rogue is quite capable of exceeding 110mph. It has 170HP and there aren't too many cars out there now adays that can't go over 110mph. I drive 85mph to work everyday and revs fairly low. Most cars have their speed governer set to 110mph, so while the engine is capable of more, you may find the speed gov kick in at around 110. I haven't had a chance to test the Rogue in that sense yet. I have had 2 vehicles that had rev limiters, a 97 thunderbird and a 01 Escape and it's highly annoying!! Fortunately my Mustang and F-150 don't seem to have it. The Mustang has seen 140mph.

Iridiman
Car: 2008 Rogue Iridium Graphite loaded, 1996 BMW Z3 and 2001 M Roadster

Etch wrote:I'm sure the Rogue is quite capable of exceeding 110mph....Most cars have their speed governer set to 110mph, so while the engine is capable of more, you may find the speed gov kick in at around 110. I haven't had a chance to test the Rogue in that sense yet. I have had 2 vehicles that had rev limiters, a 97 thunderbird and a 01 Escape and it's highly annoying!! Fortunately my Mustang and F-150 don't seem to have it. The Mustang has seen 140mph.
Car and Driver estimated top speed at 112 (governor limited). It is possible in some cars to reprogram the computer chip to eliminate that limitation. I "Sharked" my European spec BMW M roadster and it goes VERY fast.

nissanrocks

Are you sure that you had the right sensor seal/gasket joe?

Joe, were you in training august in aurora? I think I was in class with you

I have a question for you about nissan engines

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

Iridiman wrote:
Car and Driver estimated top speed at 112 (governor limited). It is possible in some cars to reprogram the computer chip to eliminate that limitation. I "Sharked" my European spec BMW M roadster and it goes VERY fast.
An aftermarket performance tuner can turn off the rev limiter. The one I have for my F-150 hast he option to turn it off.

wbloomfield

Iridiman wrote:
I new it!! So, those Yoko Avid TRZ or Pirelli P4's will work, if I do not plan on going over 118mph. I just want longer life out of the tires and the OEM's don't remind me of a tire that will last more then 15 to 20,000 miles.

roguester
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD, 06 Altima 2.5 S special

So 8 tires w/rims with 8 sensors. Do the sensors have to be re-registered every time there is a switch from summer to winter wheel/tire combo. I read somewhere the sensors are 100.ea maybe cheaper in USTire shops are not capable of programing the computer?sounds like a cash grab for the dealer Anyone have any further info on this

EddNog

roguester wrote:So 8 tires w/rims with 8 sensors. Do the sensors have to be re-registered every time there is a switch from summer to winter wheel/tire combo. I read somewhere the sensors are 100.ea maybe cheaper in USTire shops are not capable of programing the computer?sounds like a cash grab for the dealer Anyone have any further info on this
That's correct, the car needs to be reprogrammed every time sensors are swapped. If believe that only dealerships have the necessary equipment to do this.

-Ed

philipa_240sx

You can save yourself $400+ worth of TPMS sensors and dealer service charges twice per year by simply not installing them on your winter wheels. The Rogue will operate just fine without the sensors installed. The only downside is seeing the yellow TPMS warning light all winter.

Return to “Rogue Forum”