Rogue Review - Nissan Nails This One

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

If you need the capacity and versatility of a sport utility but can't abide the high price of filling the tank, you might want a crossover.

Some crossovers - sport utility bodies that ride on the chassis of cars - were designed, ironically enough, to fill a gap in fleets that lacked true, truck-based SUVs in the 1990s. The Subaru Forester may be the best example of this phenomenon. Despite its commitment to all-wheel-drive, Subaru lacked an SUV at the height of SUV mania. So, manufacturer added a taller SUV-like Forester to its fleet of wagons.

Today, with SUVs in decline, the trend is going the other direction. Crossovers - or CUVs, as they are sometimes known - are offered as more economical alternatives.

Generally, the crossovers are lighter, more maneuverable and less greedy at the pump.

Nissan, which reaped the windfall of SUV sales over the past 15 years or so, is pitching crossovers to customers who might previously have driven the Armada, Xterra or Pathfinder.

Front and center for 2008 is the Rogue, a compact crossover that ranked as the best-seller among all of Nissan's SUV-like passenger vehicles in December, its third month of sales.

"With Rogue, we've targeted drivers in their early 30s, whose responsibilities and functional needs have changed but who don't want to leave behind the person they've always been - someone who enjoys driving, who values style and design, and who wants to retain his or her individuality," said Bill Bosley, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division.

The two trim levels, Rogue S and Rogue SL, are powered by a 2.5-liter, 170-horsepower, 4-cylinder engine harnessed to an Xtronic continuously variable transmission. Fuel economy is rated at a sensible 22 miles per gallon in the city and 27 mpg on the highway with front-drive versions and 21/26 mpg for all-wheel-drive models.

Prices begin at an affordable $19,250 for the front-drive S, rising to $21,870 for the all-wheel-drive SL.

The Rogue's styling is curvaceously sporty and in keeping with the design themes of the Nissan sedans and coupes.

Options include Xenon headlights, power sliding glass moonroof with dark gray glass, and a roof rail system with detachable cross bars.

Built on Nissan's new "C" platform, Rogue features high body stiffness with high-strength steel to reduce body weight. The 105.9-inch wheelbase and 182.9-inch overall length rank among the longest in the class and expand interior space.

Ride and handling is quite athletic, though the power is fairly modest for a vehicle this size. Everything in automotive design involves tradeoffs. I think the engineers found the right balance of power and fuel economy for most drivers' needs. The continuously variable transmission is an impressive Nissan specialty.

One of the benefits of the crossover is that you get a high seating position while enjoying the maneuverability of a mid-size sedan. The driver's seat can be equipped with an optional seat lifter that adds up to two inches of seat height adjustability. Rogue's instrument panel layout are easy to read, with reddish-orange illumination and silver gauge surround rings.

An optional trip computer includes displays for distance-to-empty, average fuel consumption, average speed, elapsed time and outside temperature. Steering wheel-mounted controls for audio, Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System and cruise control are also available.

Other options include leather upholstery, heated front seats and mirrors and a fold-down front seat that expands cargo capacity. A rear 60/40 split-fold bench seat and oversize glove box with partition that measures more than half-a-cubic foot in volume are standard.

A nifty cargo organizer pops up with touch of a switch from its hidden space below the flat cargo floor. A portion of the cargo floor snaps into a vertical position, revealing a flat recessed space with removable, vertical cargo nets. The system keeps contents from rolling loose around the cargo area while driving.

Also available is a washable, removable tray that fits below the cargo area floor to hold wet or dirty gear and tools and a rear cover to keep cargo concealed from public view. Cupholders, memo pad and pen holder, coin holder and cell phone-sunglass holders will meet the needs of most road warriors.

Safety equipment includes front seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air bags and roof-mounted curtain supplemental air bags.

WHAT'S NEW: All-new crossover vehicle.

PLUSES: Styling, value, comfort, safety.

MINUSES: Modest power, modest fuel economy.

BOTTOM LINE: Sweet alternative to SUV.

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

What is the source of the review? Is it yours?

BrianV
Car: 07 G35S 6MT, 02 MDX-T AWD

I'm thrown off by "modest fuel economy". I've researched the CUV class heavily and find 21/27 to be very high. Short of the Escape Hybrid, I can't think of any CUVs that do any better. The CRV and 4cyl Rav4 are about the same.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

BrianV wrote:I'm thrown off by "modest fuel economy". I've researched the CUV class heavily and find 21/27 to be very high. Short of the Escape Hybrid, I can't think of any CUVs that do any better. The CRV and 4cyl Rav4 are about the same.

Its strange that some reviews give negatives to the Rogues power. I for one still think its a faulty perception because of the way the CVT works. And you could throw a net on the top 3 CUVs for fuel economy RAV, CRV, and Rogue are all about the same. Of course it depends on how you drive.

Palmateer
Car: 2011 Ford Mustang V6 premium convertible

Cristen wrote:What is the source of the review?
http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/29732

Return to “Rogue Forum”