Rogue/Murano-CVT

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kcfm
Car: former rogue owner

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Rogue and Murano have the same transmission? If so, does anyone know if it has had any updates done to it in the last year or two?

I was doing some research into the Muranos and they have had a lot of transmission issues. Most notably a problem that requires total transmission replacement at a cost of about $5,000-$6,000 from what I read. It seams as though this affected more 2003 models but there were also numerous reports from later model years with the same problem. And the majority of these failures seemed to happen shortly after the powertrain warranty expired, at 60,000- 80,000 miles but some with a lot less than that. It also was quite evident that Nissan was not very sympathetic with these owners and offered no help with repair costs. It appeared that this was a widespread problem with these tranny's yet Nissan failed to do a recall on them or even acknowledge there was a consistent problem. And from what I read it was a serious safety issue as well because the tranny would basically stall out after sitting in traffic for a while. Then when the accelerator was pressed the car would not move, then about 15-20 seconds later it would finally surge forward. Tell me that is not a safety issue in certain situations. But yet Nissan knowing about this problem still failed to do any recall on it or even acknowledge to it's customers that a problem existed.

Anyway...sorry for the length of this but after reading all that and the current "rattle situation" a lot of us are having, I started wondering if us Rogue owners have the same thing to look forward to down the road.

The way Nissan responded to the Murano issue and the way they have drug their feet on our own "rattle" issue I am wondering if It would be better to trade this CVT in while I still can before it's too late.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

From the info I've read, the problems with the early 2003 Murano CVT has nothing to do with our current Rogue. The tranny has undergone significant re-design since then, compared to the current Murano and the Rogue. Philipa provided some really detailed information regarding this one of the long discussion threads regarding the Rogue CVT, I believe its under the one entitlled "I thought I heard a transmission rattle this morning".

My advice would be not to worry about the CVT in your Rogue, as it seems as though the issue that some owners are having has been diagnosed by Nissan and will be fixed with an "upgraded" CVT soon. If you've got the rattle this will solve your problem, if you don't have it then you'll be fine, the CVT is designed to be more durable and long-lasting than a conventional tranny, but you can do your own research to confirm this as I am not an expert.

philipa_240sx

Kerrton is correct, you cannot compare the current CVT in the Rogue vs. the one in the 1st gen Murano. They are generations apart in design and the Murano also uses a different/beefier model for the higher output V-6 engine.

Nissan did release several tech bulletins on the 1st gen Murano CVT:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com...SAXLE

In addition the CVT went through 5 or 6 model changes throughout the 1st gen Murano's life.

The '03 Murano was Nissan's first use of a CVT transmission in a North American vehicle, and one of the first CVT's to be paired with a high output V-6 engine. A very bold and risky move on Nissan's part IMHO. Yes, it came with it's share of difficulties but it also paved the way for future CVT use.

Return to “Rogue Forum”