Rogue Hybrid? WTF?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ras_oscar

I have a 2012 rogue SV with 181K miles. Shopping for a replacement and decided on a Rav4 Hybrid because Nissan only offers one plug-in hybrid, the Leaf. Then I look on the Nissan Rogue build it yourself web page and see a 2018 Rogue SV gas electric hybrid. WHEN DID THAT APPEAR? I wasn't aware Nissan had any hybrids. A bit confused, because one portion of the mechanical specs says 2.4L engine while a separate section says 2.0 liter. How long has this been in production? Does it have a CVT? How are the current experiences with it? Did they design the drivetrain themselves, or are they using a proven assembly?

prj
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue. 2004 Nissan Titan

The Rogue Hybrid isn't worth the extra premium they charge for it. It's a half a** attempt at offering a hybrid. Just to tick a box that says "well we have one too!"

Stick with RAV4 Hybrid.

howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

See my review a few down on the Hybrid. It has a few perks such as less wear/tear on the engine and breaks. Able to go in HOV lanes in some states etc.

But the MPG vs the regular rogue is very small. We are talking 4-5 mpg. I don't see many being sold, I've yet to see another on the road and actually the dealer who sold me mine has pretty much all the others they still had in stock from 6 months ago. Based on Nissan's track record with Hybrids (Murano and Pathfinder) I doubt the Rogue will last.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I drove a hybrid, not a Rogue but a Lincoln MKZ 2.0H. Very nice, comfortable and my first experience with a hybrid of any flavor. Some observations, I've said before that when hybrids first came out I expected 75-100 mpg. As we all now know that proved not to be the case.

A vehicle the size of the Lincoln typically gets in the low to mid 20's mpg. I drove from Florida to Pennsylvania and averaged 40.7 miles per gallon. After checking Lincoln's website I see that is exactly what that vehicle should get on the highway, and its rated at 52mpg city driving. I never go by the little computer mile per gallon calculator I always do pen and paper on a full tank. I have not and do not expect to get an opportunity to drive the Lincoln in any city driving, so I cannot speak to the 52mpg rating for city driving.

Using the same metric as the Lincoln applied to the Rogue we should be seeing mileage in the mid 40's to mid 50's that doesn't seem to be the case. Again that would be real world pen and paper calculations over the course of a full tank, not pie-in-the-sky computer calculations done on a downhill grade, with a 100mph tailwind on a four mile trip to work.

It's a shame that the Hybrid Rogue does not get better mileage, when the Lincoln is able to almost double its highway mpg's and probably triple or better it's city mileage over the gas version of the same vehicle.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

The funny thing was I got the trip computer to read that I was getting around 40 mpg + on a road trip. In 2009 or 2010.

Mind you I didn't do pen and paper calculations and knew it might not be right back then.

But I was counting my miles in general and it seemed pretty close if not just about accurate.

Had a tailwind pushing too I believe.

So I'm sure if you really tried hyper miling, it might work with the hybrid version.

These days my trip computer says I'm getting 16mpg in the city, which is probably right too....lolz.

Grippy tires and alot of exterior crap all over the car now.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Actually, I do see the major bump in the Rogue Hybrid's MPGs, just gotta drive like a grandma going 60 MPH on Cruise control, and you'd probably see high 40s to low 50s in the Hybrid Rogue, for sure. I have been averaging between 24-42 MPG on my gasoline powered Rogue. But then, its only dependent on the driver's driving habit and driving behaviour.

howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

I've recorded every fill up I've done on my Rogue Hybrid and have just over 5k miles with 14 fill-ups. Not taking into account the first MPG since the dealership had it. Its definitely not doing to well on mpg.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/rogue/ ... 411/827182

Also I'm coming from 2 previous Ford Fusion Hybrids. So I definitely know how to drive a Hybrid correctly. I think there is something wrong with either mine or the system in general. The EV engine will stop and the gas engine comes on while I'm waiting at stop lights constantly and this is with a almost full charge on the EV battery.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Now that sounds exactly the opposite of what I experienced with the Lincoln. It was unnerving at first, pulling up to a stop light and the engine cutting out. In every other car I've driven when that happens you know your'e in trouble.

YanniK
Car: Interested in a Nissan Hybrid AWD Rogue -- wanted to see what was good, bad and ugly about it.

Anyone else have #'s on MPG for hybrid & AWD Rogues from the 2018 year?

This will be my car for a bit, and then will pass down to my kid (skiier) who needs the AWD and we'd like to get out of some of the CALIF high gas prices..

My next car will be a PHEV, as the house has solar and as the kids slowly fly the coop, we have excess generation that we can' put into a "gas tank" instead of selling back to the utility company. No good PHEV/AWD SUV's out right now, but I figure when said kid takes THIS car off my hands, (in a couple of years) there will be more PHEV competition/choices for me.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! Ready to pull the trigger on a HYBRID AWD ROGUE (2018) but wanted to get more info from real world users. We are not in a cold climate, FWIW. Trips to snow are trips, we don't live in ski-ville.

Return to “Rogue Forum”