Rogue 2016 Tailgate problem

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
BashFaris
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV Tech pkg

Hello,

I've recently bought a Nissan Rogue 2016 SV tech package, and there is a problem with the tailgate. The problem is that the door would lock and wouldn't open anymore in any way, key/interior button/button on the door itself. Only way to solve it is to disconnect the battery and put it back in, this will solve the problem for a couple of uses until the problem would come back after opening and closing for a couple of times. What happens is that when i try to open the door, it seems like the car receives a lock signal instead. I took the car to Nissan's service center and they suggested that they'd change the latch and hopefully this will solve the problem, but there is a chance it wont and more parts would need to be changed as needed. They checked the battery and it's good.

Any idea what is causing the problem?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome!

It could very well be the latch. That seems to be a failure point on a lot of brands. However, IF that doesn't fix it then your BCM may need to be replaced. Usually disconnecting the battery and leaving it unattached for at least an hour will reset the BCM. But as you've tried that and the reset hasn't held, there's every possibility that is what's causing the issue your having.

By the way, unless that dealership is doing this work under warranty, you're under no obligation to have them do the repairs. I'd get a second opinion and quote for repair costs from an independent shop before proceeding further.

BashFaris

I've ne
Rogue One wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:29 am
Welcome!

It could very well be the latch. That seems to be a failure point on a lot of brands. However, IF that doesn't fix it then your BCM may need to be replaced. Usually disconnecting the battery and leaving it unattached for at least an hour will reset the BCM. But as you've tried that and the reset hasn't held, there's every possibility that is what's causing the issue your having.

By the way, unless that dealership is doing this work under warranty, you're under no obligation to have them do the repairs. I'd get a second opinion and quote for repair costs from an independent shop before proceeding further.
I only disconnect it for 1 minute and put it back on, never left it unattached for a while. Do you think doing that will get me a different result?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

It's worth a shot. Because you only had it disconnected for about a minute the system didn't have enough time to completely discharge. Some people even depress the horn button to dissipate any residual electricity, just to be sure. Honestly you could disconnect the battery before retiring for the evening then reattach it the next morning.

If it works and stays that way, then you've saved yourself a repair expense (free is my favorite type of repair). If not, then you've only lost an hour or so of your time.

BashFaris

Hello there, thought i'd come back and give an update in case someone else has the same problem as me in the future. After disconnecting the battery for an hour and half, even depressed the horn as you said, I've been opening and closing the trunk daily for more than two weeks and the problem didn't come back since. I haven't been driving the car due to isolation so I'm sure its a factor in building static energy in the car, but Ive been turning on the car daily too for testing. Hopefully it will stay that way when i start using the car normally again.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

:dblthumb: Thanks for the update! So few people take the time to let us know how things worked out for them, so we really appreciate it when people follow up on their posts.

BashFaris

My pleasure :) this problem drove me crazy so hopefully nobody else would have it too, so thank you :dblthumb:

I’ll keep you updated if things change again.

RCH
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

I have a 2016 Rogue SV too. I have it since 2016 and the tailgate does not open. The latch works (open and close) but it just lift about an inch or two then it will lock the lift gate. It does not open automatically. I have to manually open it. The weird thing is, the liftgate sometimes works during cold weather (specially winter) and not at all in the summer. No scan code. Nissan Service center diagnose it but they cannot pinpoint the exact cause of the problem and they suggested for me to replace the struts (almost $1000). Now that I am planning to change my battery, I will try to disconnect it for an hour and hoping it's the solution.

Joyahmed3244
Car: 2017 Nissan X-trail/ Rogue Hybrid

RCH wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:15 pm
I have a 2016 Rogue SV too. I have it since 2016 and the tailgate does not open. The latch works (open and close) but it just lift about an inch or two then it will lock the lift gate. It does not open automatically. I have to manually open it. The weird thing is, the liftgate sometimes works during cold weather (specially winter) and not at all in the summer. No scan code. Nissan Service center diagnose it but they cannot pinpoint the exact cause of the problem and they suggested for me to replace the struts (almost $1000). Now that I am planning to change my battery, I will try to disconnect it for an hour and hoping it's the solution.
You can try recaliberation process which is opening the trunk to your desired height and press and hold the auto close button on the trunk for 3-5 secs until 2 beeps are heard. if that doesnt solve the problem then i think the one of the struts have gone bad. :inout:

Joyahmed3244
Car: 2017 Nissan X-trail/ Rogue Hybrid

BashFaris wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:05 am
Hello there, thought i'd come back and give an update in case someone else has the same problem as me in the future. After disconnecting the battery for an hour and half, even depressed the horn as you said, I've been opening and closing the trunk daily for more than two weeks and the problem didn't come back since. I haven't been driving the car due to isolation so I'm sure its a factor in building static energy in the car, but Ive been turning on the car daily too for testing. Hopefully it will stay that way when i start using the car normally again.
hey! Did it solve the problem for good???? did it ever occurred again?? i am facing the exact same problem! and i keep resetting the trunk module by removing the fuse for it.

surapaneniaditya
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

any update on this issue? I have similar issue and the nissan store is asking to change the latch for $1000. They said electric looks good.

Return to “Rogue Forum”