Rogue 2014 Radio Freezes

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rupezam
Car: Rogue 2014

Hello!

I got a new 2014 Rogue ( S version) nice SUV, but I am having issues with the radio, it has been like 3 times that the radio "freezes" and I can't change station, hear music, only if I turn off the car and restart it again

The dealer says that it s ok, NTF

Does Somebody have the same problem?

pplepiew
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL
Premium Package

Yes, this happened to me a couple of times and I've had my SL exactly one week, I posted about it last week. I've been trying, admittedly not too seriously yet, to purposely make it crash to figure out exactly what sets it off. Both times my wife was in the car with phone synched or synching (not sure if mine was synched as well at the time) and we were in the voice recognition system.

The first time ( the day we picked it up...) the buttons were all wrong, the phone button would change channels or sometimes activate the phone and other buttons would also do screwy things. The dealer just rebooted it, didnt find any more problems and sent us on our merry way.

A few days later we were setting a nav point through VR, got frustrated after a few menus (admittedly we gave it a challenge trying to find a vietnamese joint by name: "Go to New Mee Fung") and pressed the hang up button several times as it backed out if menus and eventually just froze. The most annoying thing is that, other than driving, NOTHING works while its frozen. The only solution I found was to turn the car completely off as you said, then start it again. This would be a major pain while on a long drive on a highway. I've been trying to find a way to reboot the system while driving to avoid this scenario.

If you ask me, its not normal. I'm hoping there's a firmware update in the works.

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

There is nothing "normal" about your radio crashing. It's not like our cars run MyFord Touch or something. My wife is running a similar system in her 14 Note SL and it hasn't crashed since she bought it in August of last year. Take it back to the dealer and if they can't do anything you need to escalate to Nissan's regional manager or something. You clearly have a bum unit.

sprocket

If possible, you should try and take a video (safely) that shows what problem you're having, especially for problems that are not easily duplicated, so that you can show the dealer the problem. Otherwise, the dealer may not be able to re-create the problem you described and return it to you as "ok".

Different grades and models use different units, so there's a possibility that an issue that you see on one radio type may not be the same as that on another radio type. 2nd gen Rogue comes with either a 5" non-navi or a 7" navi. Versa Note comes with either a 4.3" non-navi or 5.8" non-navi. They look similar but they're not the same hardware.

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

sprocket wrote:2nd gen Rogue comes with either a 5" non-navi or a 7" navi. Versa Note comes with either a 4.3" non-navi or 5.8" non-navi. They look similar but they're not the same hardware.
The Note can come equipped with a 5.8" Navi (such as in my wife's SL). It is basically the same system as the 7" Navi in the Rogue, minus the Airbiquity cloud integration. Both are Bosch units with similar hardware characteristics. Neither should be crashing.

But ya, filming the issue is a great idea. They can't run you off then.

rupezam
Car: Rogue 2014

I will follow your recomendations!

Thanks!

lopki12
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

My 14 Rogue S did the same thing twice. The first time it was very cold outside so I figured that had something to with it. The next time I put a usb stick in to listen too and it just ran through the number of songs never played a one. But both times after the car was shut off and turned back the radio magically worked again. My samsung phone was synced the first time but not the second. I think Nissan has more than few bugs to work out in this new rogue.

Kris5449
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

My 2014 rouge sl had the exact same issue when I first got it (Dec 2014). I told the dealership but they said it was fine, Eventually it did it when I had my phone handy and I pulled over and recorded it not responding to anything I did. When I took that to the dealership, they said "no problem" and took it in, downloaded an update for the system software (not the new maps, but an update of the Nissan side of the software) and the problem stopped.

HOWEVER... About 4 months went by with no problems, and now, the audio/navi system crashes. The system goes dark/silent, then re-boots from the Nissan screen. It plays about ten seconds of audio then does it again. And again, and again... Tonight, after about ten times, the screen went to a software data screen that said:
"AI_PRJ_NISSAN_LCN2KAI_13.14V12
Insert update media
System is shutting down 65 sec
Copying 0/100"

The seconds counts down from 65 to zero, then the stystem shuts down, reboots, and goes right back to that screen, and the process repeats.

For what it's worth, this problem seems to happen when I'm using my iPhone via Bluetooth to listen to podcasts (though, that is what I do with the majority of my in-car-time, so that may not be relevant). Also, if I try to change anything during the ten seconds while the audio plays, nothing happens. The volume won't change, I can't switch to fm or xm or anything. No idea what's up.

I have pix and vids of this happening if anyone wants to see them.

Ferrisfan
Car: 2014 Rogue SL FWD w/ Premium Package

Do you have the NAV system? Mine did this when I installed a new SD card to update the maps. It could be that your card is somehow corrupted and it thinks there is a new card in the slot.

I had to disconnect my battery to get it to stop and begin a fresh update. Another symptom that I had was that the screen never actually turned off. It was blank, but not off.

outtolearn88
Car: Rogue SL AWD

H1e, Can I ask what year is your Rogue and why the new SD card ?

Ferrisfan

2014 SL. Got the new maps for my birthday and they come on a SD card.

outtolearn88

Hi Ferrisfan, HAPPY delay BIRTHDAY ! Nice gift you got. Can I ask what year are the new maps on the SD card ? Came from dealer ?

Are you having issues with the Navigation now ? Do you have any other problems with the radio unit ?

Thanks for the information.

Ferrisfan

Map is 2016 (v.7). Once the install completed, I've had no other problems when the unit is operating with no external device interfaced. I have some weird problems with Waze when my iPhone is plugged into the USB port, but that is most likely due to recent Waze and iOS updates than a system issue.
Maps came from the Nissan website.
I haven't gotten around to posting the v.6 maps on ebay yet, so if anyone wants that card PM me with an idea of what it is worth.

outtolearn88

Ferrisfan, Question ? Isn't the SD Map Card attached by some serial number to your head unite ? As not been able to use it in another vehicle head unit ?

Ferrisfan

I don't think so. It is not able to be copied, so I think that it is acceptable to run the original card in any unit. Either way, I imagine that my unit is only linked to the current card, not the past card(s).

outtolearn88

Did NISSAN not ask for your serial number when you ordered the New Map SD card ?

Thanks again for your input

Ferrisfan

They did not. I bought from this site which does not prompt you for a VIN or anything when you buy.

http://nissan.navigation.com/home/en_US/NissanNA/USD

So to be clear, the SD card stays in the unit all the time. If you remove the card, maps stop working.

I imagine that there are different product lines for the different generations of NAV. I see some year models specify LCN1 NAV and some specify LCN2 NAV. I don't know enough about all Nissan products to tell you which models have the same NAV as my 2014, but many of the 2015 models show as using the same product (LCN2). This is the 3rd card I've installed in my Rogue, but I gave the 2014 v.5 (original with the vehicle) away last year. 2013 Rogue shows LCN1 NAV, which matches up to the generation change for the Rogue line.

outtolearn88

Alright, I Thank you for sharing your experiences.

kboo74
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg (Former)
2017.5 Nissan Murano SL Tech Pkg) (Former)
2019 Acura RDX A-Spec with Tech Pkg Performance Red

There is a software update out that solved then freezing/rebooting problem. I have a 2015 Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg and had the same problems. When I ordered the map SD Card for 2016 and did the update it caused my radio to get stuck in a reboot cycle. Took it to the dealer and they reset the radio and that's when I found out about the update. It took them 35 minutes to install it and no issues since then. The update is some thing that they don't publicize so you have to ask or come in with a radio issue then ask.

bkraft67
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD

How do you get a map update for the 2014 Rogue? The nissan.navigation.com site does not have it. Nissan NA and the dealer don't seem to know why or when an update will be available Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ferrisfan

bkraft67 wrote:How do you get a map update for the 2014 Rogue? The nissan.navigation.com site does not have it. Nissan NA and the dealer don't seem to know why or when an update will be available Any info would be greatly appreciated.
It took a couple days for CS to respond, but:
Thank you for contacting Nissan Navigation Center. At this time the map update for your 2014 Nissan Rogue is out of stock. If you would like us to contact you once it is back in stock, please provide you phone number.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

Nissan Navigation Center
P.O. Box 1588
Orem, UT 84059

bkraft67
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD

The update was briefly available on the nissan.navigation.com website, so I went ahead and purchased it. The new SD card arrived today, I installed it and it bricked the entire headunit! No radio or anything... it's stuck in a reboot loop. So it's been dropped off at the dealer so they can sort it out tomorrow. There was also a transmission update recall that they are going to perform while it's there. :/

Ferrisfan

Did you read my post from NOV 12 2015? Mine bricked the first time and I had to disconnect the battery to get a clean boot/install.

whizkidtn
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL (AWD), Premium package

bkraft67 wrote:The update was briefly available on the nissan.navigation.com website, so I went ahead and purchased it. The new SD card arrived today, I installed it and it bricked the entire headunit! No radio or anything... it's stuck in a reboot loop. So it's been dropped off at the dealer so they can sort it out tomorrow. There was also a transmission update recall that they are going to perform while it's there. :/
I've had my '14 Rogue in for the 30K mile CVT dealer service (fluid drain/fill) in December of 2016. I specific asked if there were any updates for my car and they indicated there was not. I've having no issues but if there was some improved CVT software, I'd like to have known about it! Can you look at your dealer receipt and provide any info on what it said?

As to the OP, I'm still on the original map/firmware and have had only a random time or two since we've owned it that it froze up.

RustyG
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hello Rogue Owners! Just wanted to share my experience. The other day, the 7” Navi screen on my 2014 Rogue SL went blank; no radio, Navi or backup camera. I may still have the original firmware in the unit. After consulting this forum, YouTube and speaking to a couple of Nissan dealers, I was able to correct this on my own, saving a $200 diagnostic charge. I am writing this for a newbie, sorry if this is too basic for you. My steps:

1. Tried to reboot the system by holding down the power button for 10 seconds. Failed. Also tried holding down both power and tuning buttons for 10 seconds. Failed again.

2. Check the radio (“audio”) fuse. Shut off engine. Remove the fuse cover in the interior, drivers side, on left side of dash, using a screwdriver in the slot and pulling the cover with gentle pressure to release the plastic clips underneath. The inside of the fuse cover, when turned so that the small arrow on the inside sticker points up, shows the position of the audio fuse. It is a yellow 20 Amp fuse on the lower left side of the fuse panel. I removed the white plastic fuse puller in the top center of the panel and then used it to remove the audio fuse. I found the fuse puller to be better than using needle nose pliers or my fingers to remove the fuse.
I held the fuse up to the light and found that the fusible link was intact. I reinstalled the fuse with my fingers, put the panel cover back on, started the vehicle, tried turning on the radio/nav again. No luck, still have blank screen.

3. Hard reset. Turn off engine. Open the hood. Before working on the battery, remove any metal bracelets, rings, watches, etc. that could come into contact with the battery posts. Eye protection is also recommended. I removed the clamp off the negative post of the battery using a 3/8” (10 mm) socket and driver. I waited 5 minutes for the system to completely discharge. Then reattached the clamp to the negative post. I used my key fob to unlock the car to display the “press brake to start” message. Start the vehicle. The radio/Nav screen came on immediately. This fixed all my problems!

My trip odometer and best mileage numbers were cleared during the reset, but all radio stations were intact.
Nissan service told me that the vehicle will relearn my driving habits during the first tank of gas. I took it for a long drive and didn’t notice any performance issues.

Hope this helps someone. :dblthumb:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

RustyG wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:44 am
Hello Rogue Owners! Just wanted to share my experience. The other day, the 7” Navi screen on my 2014 Rogue SL went blank; no radio, Navi or backup camera. I may still have the original firmware in the unit. After consulting this forum, YouTube and speaking to a couple of Nissan dealers, I was able to correct this on my own, saving a $200 diagnostic charge. I am writing this for a newbie, sorry if this is too basic for you.
In case it does it again (and it might), the original '14~'15 navi firmware from Bosch had a whole lot of glitches, including several that caused blackouts and reboots. That also applies to '14~'15 Alties, not just Rogues. To check if your firmware is dated, with the audio off, hold down on the Apps button and twiddle the Scroll/Tune knob rapidly back and forth. That will put you in a service menu where you can check the version. Should be D407 or higher. If you have an A, B, or lower number D, there's an update for it. The D407 version is fairly bulletproof.

montyman
Car: 2014 SL FWD Premium Pkg. Moonlight White

Any more updates on fixes? I have the issue on my 2014 SL FWD - Just started (I've got 174K miles). I tried the re-set holing in the power button, to no avail (had some screen fluttering, but would not stay on). I disconnected the Neg. battery terminal, and then tried (again - screen just fluttered on, then went back to Black).

Is this "just" a software update from the dealer???

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I understand there are some downloadable copies of the D407 out there on the net, but I don't have any links. Maybe someone else here does if you can't find it by googling.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

See if this works. You'll need to download it to a blank FAT32 thumb drive, 8Gb as I recall:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u60HgW ... WejwF/view

This will show you how to install it:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/ ... 1-9999.pdf

montyman
Car: 2014 SL FWD Premium Pkg. Moonlight White

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:23 pm
See if this works. You'll need to download it to a blank FAT32 thumb drive, 8Gb as I recall:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u60HgW ... WejwF/view

This will show you how to install it:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/ ... 1-9999.pdf
Much Thanks!!!!

Return to “Rogue Forum”