Rogue 2012 Squealing noise after repairing Control Arms, axel and change all fluids!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mohammad
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S

I bought Rogue 2012 trim s, AWD, (110000 km) a month ago.
I used it for 10 days, and It wasn't any issue, but right after changing control arms and passenger axle and changing all fluids, including CVT transmission fluid, I hear squealing noise like what you can hear in this video (It says that this is from the failure of the internal belt of CVT). I hear this noise after a few minutes of driving and it is hard to say when it is happening! However, there are no issues during driving, and everything works great except the noises.
Note that during changing axel as it was stuck in its carrier, they used different approaches like heating and hitting and finally, it was removed. Not sure it could make any problem in CVT.

Could it be the wrong CVT fluid? ( They used Lucas CVT fluid ), bad axel replacement or any other idea of possible source of the noise? Thanks 

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Good news, that doesn’t sound like the transmission, it’s sounds similar to brakes squealing, BUT not saying that’s it.

First and foremost, never use aftermarket, their crap, any slightest deviation from oem or any variables about being slightly short could cause noise in the axle.

There’s a reason oem axles are like $500 and they are the prize.

At the moment I’m finishing putting new boots on my 11 year old driver’s side axle on my 2009 Rogue today. The inner boot had a split. Even changing a good outer boot with a new one while in there. But no way in hell I’m trading my present set up for an $80 cheap axle made in China, that’s a big no-no. :slap:

My 2 cents.

Also never change anything if it’s running good. My dumb dealership changed my control arms for nearly $1,200 to pass inspection. Yah I was a dumb a$$. :tisk:

mohammad

Thanks for the reply,
It seems the noise is from CVT. Check this

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

That sounds like cvt whine to me. I don’t know anything about Lucas but I’m not a fan of anything they make. If it does it a few minutes after driving it I’d check to make sure it’s not overfilled. I scanned my trans in an Ohio winter and the fluid heats up extremely fast compared to the oil. I’d be checking the fluid level after running it for as little as a few miles, it’s overfilled then I’d be dumping some out.

mohammad

Thanks for the comment!
I check Trans fluid myself. I wasn't sure about the car that is level or not , so I bought a bubble level to help to check the fluid in the level area (No slope). I guess it shouldn't be that sensitive to small slope.I drive for 10 min and then I check the fluid when the car is idleing at Park. I see fluid level is higher than the maximum. Not sure that this is exactly the right thing to check the fluid (I check many posts here to do the fluid level checking correctly).
Last edited by mohammad on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it's high, get the extra fluid out fast. Nothing will destroy a CVT of any kind quicker than overfilled fluid. The resulting foam eats the belt up in no time.

mohammad

Just went to the Nissan service center. The technician said it is a little below and we add some!
Still hearing the noise.

casperfun

Just curious, your overdrive is off, is it because you were driving hilly roads?

Because in the nearly 12 years of driving my rogue, I never ever had to turn it off.

Even during my roadtrip in Hudson Valley, NY. :cool:

Or any reason for that matter. Don't even know why it's there really, but I did once and forgot. :inout:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

mohammad wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:16 am
Thanks for the comment!
I check Trans fluid myself. I wasn't sure about the car that is level or not , so I bought a bubble level to help to check the fluid in the level area (No slope). I guess it shouldn't be that sensitive to small slope.I drive for 10 min and then I check the fluid when the car is idleing at Park. I see fluid level is higher than the maximum. Not sure that this is exactly the right thing to check the fluid (I check many posts here to do the fluid level checking correctly).
I just checked my 09 yesterday for reference with my scanner hooked up to it. I started it and let it idle for a few minutes (50 degrees outside) took off and the trans went up to around 100 degrees relatively quickly, the fluid was halfway up the hash when I checked it a few miles later. I live in the country so I drove it another 6 miles and rechecked it, the temp had risen to 165 and the level had risen to 3/4 up the hash marks. According to the tech at Nissan that’s exactly where you want it. I was pretty consistent checking fluid from day 1 on a new 07 Murano and the fluid level was very much at the same level. I neglected the 07 changes until 80k because it was my wife’s car and she drove lots of highway miles everyday, plus it had the extended warranty. I also admit I didn’t know much about the importance, even more so than traditional trannies of clean fluid. Cvt was very much new tech for Nissan at the time. When that expired I did spill and fills with red castrol fluid (prbly 5) in a short time and that cars still running around. My 09 has a newer trans, well 43k now. But after the 1yr warranty expired I’ve been doing spill and fills every 10k. The first was using idemitsu, then eneos and since has been valvoline. No issues or abnormalities from not using oem. It literally takes 4 1/3 qts every time when drained cold. My driveway isn’t perfectly level but not extreme, so I check the trans pulled in and then backed in and split the diff which is very little. My 09 Altima had a trans failure at 95k and the dipstick always showed overfilled but the tech at the dealer that I no longer use said it wasn’t a bid deal. Turns out it was. The take away from my uneducated but my now meticulous maintenance regimen tells me “overfilled” is not good and clean fluid is crucial. The cleanest fluid in the world won’t stop a mechanical failure, but it may prevent one.

casperfun

I always been on the side of caution and really believe that the Nissan transmission fluid should be treated like doing an extended oil change interval. 15-20k miles.

Because there is always a higher probability of a Jatco transmission imploding before any motor oil related engine failure imho. :chuckle:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

casperfun wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:11 am
I always been on the side of caution and really believe that the Nissan transmission fluid should be treated like doing an extended oil change interval. 15-20k miles.

Because there is always a higher probability of a Jatco transmission imploding before any motor oil related engine failure imho. :chuckle:
I couldn’t agree more. Nissans new wording regarding cvt fluid uses the term “equivelant”. Obviously having the dealer do it while under warranty erases all doubt should you have issues, but after there’s quite a few aftermarkets that have proved just as good, if not better. Actually now that my 09 is mostly eneos and idemitsu my oil temp runs a few degrees cooler.

Return to “Rogue Forum”