Rockin internet radio

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Well, my house is situated in a horrible place to get clean audio for the stereos in the house. Wife has one of the big antenna boosters on her rack system but still gets static. Me? My system is in the basement and I get absolutely nothing on AM nor FM. No way will I run an antenna either.

My receiver has internet connectivity options to play internet radio (Pioneer Elite SC-05). This leads to another problem, it's on the other side of the room from my router and I'm not going to string up a long-azz Ethernet cable tor it. Solution? My Media PC.

My media PC is not quite what you would call a HTPC. It's a old P4 2.53GHz box running Windows XP home. Standard PCI bus won't support my digital A/V adapters which are PCI-X so it's connected to the TV via VGA and to the receiver via a y-cable with RCA outputs. FAR from the capabilities it should have but it works for what I need. Anyway, the PC is sitting next to my entertainment system and it has.....wireless internet connectivity.

Solution? Use the PC's wireless connection to allow the SC-05 access to the internet. I installed a crossover cable between the unit and the PC, then configured the wireless connection to be shared. After telling the SC-05 to use DHCP it was able to sync up and whaddya know? Internet Radio!!!!!

Chillin here listening to some classic rock

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Can the SC-05 also access the digital music on your computer?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

It supports DLNA-compatible digital media servers (on PCs or other components) so I can install a DLNA server software on the PC and serve up stations that I choose instead of the few hundred that are in the Pioneer list. I tried Cidero on the PC and it saw the Pioneer as a device but I could not easily get it to configure or "find" radio stations (and it requires manual manipulation of .xml files) so I many try something like TwonkyMedia to see how it works.

Rex
Car: None

My friend got one of these http://www.amazon.com/Creative...r=8-1And it's actually really cool. He connected one end to his laptop with ~400 gig of music and other to his hoe surround sound system. The remote allows you to control the laptop music function. I've been thinking of picking up a one of the other Creative Lab gadgets.

audtatious

Yeah, I've seen those. I'm wanting to turn my PC into a true HTPC and need to steal a card from my wife's PC so I can connect cable to the PC (her PC initially ran Windows MC and has a full media card with cable in and better outputs.....but is too early for HDMI).

Return to “Computers / Electronics”