Rocker arm problem!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
twotonedrift
Car: rb20 swaped s13 hatch

Hey guys. Ive been doing some research and found alot of forums on the problem ive been having, but havent quite found the answer. So im gonna post my problem with hopes of an easy solution.

So i just bought another SR swap and within a few weeks of having it my rocker arm popped off twice causing it to "tick" real loud. I pulled the valve cover off and replaced the two shims that came out on top of the retainers. From my research i checked to see if it was my lifter but its not (still stiff!). So i cant figure out why this is randomly happening. Any other IDEAS?!! Before this happens again!!

zerosalwaysone
Car: 89' 180sx Sr20det
92' 240sx Sr20det

there should be one shim and one bucket per rocker arm.

compactfean
Car: 89 240sx s13 sr gt3071r 23psi
B14 sentra ser sr20de-t 7psi
daily

First, you can't just replace the shim and guide. The guide is exactly 3mm and the valve that has the shim had to be measured in comparison to the hight of the guide and the proper shim size must be installed in order to keep the rocker level. Also if the cam beat up the rocker to where there's visible damage, it needs to be replaced. If the cam has visible damage it needs to be replaced ( and even if it's not damaged needs to be miced out and see if it's within spec) and finally, lifters in operation are under far more pressure than you can apply with your fingers. If that lifter Is suspect of Collapsing than just replace it with a new one and bleed it properly before install.

codyace
Car: S14 w/redtop

You weren't over reving or missing gears were you?

codyace
Car: S14 w/redtop

Are you talking about the guides/shims under the arm, or the retainers in the spring itsself?

Either way I'd cheeck cam surfaces, and rebleed the lifters to make sure they are all ok.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”