Road noise

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
laudjo
Car: Boating/sailing/working out

After my last post on this site regarding excessive rode noise, I did an unofficial scientific test on several SUV vehicles. Having own numerous vehicles in my lifetime, I am absolutely convinced that the FX35 is not insulated well. The Toyota 4 Runner was quieter, as was the VW Toureg, Mercedez 430, BMW X5 and Lexus 430. Even the Chevy Avalanche that I previously owned was quieter at highway speeds. Although consumer reports recommends this vehicle, I do not. A fifteen minute test drive at the dealership does not give one the full picture of this SUV.

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

There is probably not one vehicle, save the BMW that you listed, that has a similar tire. Even that is a stretch, as the OEM knows for a fact that the BMW demographic in the US won't be pushing the vehicle to the limits of adhesion, rarely, if ever. In this case, BMW errs to the side of comfort, over rodding performance.

I was under the impression that the FX was marketed to somewhat younger, moneyed, single males, with a serious bent on performance... a hot rod with utility space.

Tires are usually the root cause of such road noises in new vehicles. One can spend X amount of dollars on isolation of the occupants, or they can build a canyon carver in SUV clothes. It is my opinion that Infiniti built the latter. This can be evidenced by the OEM tire choice.

So to gain superior traction and response from this SUV, there was a compromise made between isolation and performance... Considering the target demographic(if I'm correct about that), I'd say they were spot on, by putting the noisier, stiffer tire onto the performance SUV.

There's a reason Car & Driver said the FX can out-hustle every production SUV... a big part of it has to do with the tires.

MikeNColo
Car: Love to ride Steam Trains

SmithSR, I read your response and had to chuckle a bit... I have met 2 other FX owners, and all three of us are in our late 40s... could also be the perfect SUV for guys going thru "Mid-life Crisis" and don't want a soccer-mom style SUV...LOL !Oh, and just a note for everyone on the tires. I did a quick search on the web for manufacturers of the 20" tire, and there is now up to 5 or so that either have or are planning to release tires by early 2004 (and I suspect the number will increase). I also noticed the types of tires ranged from M/S, and a highway type tread, to almost a race-car stye tread, so the tire noise may be something we can tune out with different tire brands... just a thought...

SmithSR

Mike, true, about the only people I know that can afford the FX are in their 30's or 40's.

Also true is that the tire in the newer sizes, will be more readily available in the near future. I remember when I saw a picture of a 26" wheel and tire, back when it was in prototype stages, and I thought that was unreal! Now we have a set in our showroom. All in good time.

SmithSR

Also,

Have both or you submitted pictures of your automobiles to the member's rides section? We're glad to have you guys aboard!

-Phil

Return to “Murano Forum”