RIP Dad's Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Big Red Rogue
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

I have a 2015 Rogue, Dad was driving a 2016 until Friday afternoon.

He t-boned a car while leaving dialysis, pushing that car into the berm on the other side of the road (4 total lanes with a center grass median with places to turn through), and continued another 60 feet or so and punched through a brick wall at a condo complex garage, burying the car in up to the back doors.

Firefighters and cops didn't want to pull the car out for fear of the rest of the wall collapsing on them (it eventually did not). Flopped the driver's seat all the back and slid him onto a backboard to slide him out the back door. Took him to ambulance to check him over...HE ONLY HAD TWO TINY SCRATCHES ON HIS HANDS! When I went to go pick him up at the accident site, he was just standing there with his walker, chatting with a cop.

All the airbags blew, the front end looks like a busted up accordion, and the windshield is the only glass that is broken. He did manage to flip the hood up high and hard enough to DENT THE ROOF! I'll see if I can figure out how get pics up, if y'all want to see some.

The other driver had a bloody nose and a sore back, so she went to the hospital to get checked out; haven't heard anything other than when the cops went to talk to her she was busy getting a CT scan. Dad was sore basically where his boobs would be (if he had them), and was 75% better the next day with only taking Tylenol "when he felt like it", and continues to do well.

He leased the Rogue originally for 3 years, and then bought it at the end because he didn't want to go car shopping, and he liked this one "enough that it can be my last car".

It was his last car now, saving him from severe injury and saving his life.

The car only had ~10,700 miles on it. (I know, I know!)

Thank you, Nissan, for building an SUV that saved my Dad from injury and/or death.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Thank god your dad is safe.

From what I read over the years, the Nissan Rogue has great safety ratings from crash tests that goes all the way back to the first generation.

It was always comforting to know. :cool:

Maybe you should have somebody drive your dad to his treatments because it could be draining and he should not be driving. :nono:

Big Red Rogue

casperfun wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:06 pm
Maybe you should have somebody drive your dad to his treatments because it could be draining and he should not be driving.
That's the plan. I pulled rank as medical POA and said he's done driving.

Big Red Rogue

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Wow. That looks like a lot of damage.

So glad to hear that everyone was ok! :)

Take care. :)
TheRogue

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

Wow, definitely accordion alright. Glad your dad made it out relatively unscathed, and hope the lady gets well soon too.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

When I wrecked my 16 Rogue earlier this year, I came out unscratched and without bruises. These 2nd gens are built to take a ton of damage and make sure the occupants are safe. However, I had severe knee pain on the same knee that I have medical issues with.

I hope your elderly father is doing well and has a speedy recovery.

On a side note: Not all Nissan's SUVs are safe, especially the smaller ones. My dad still suffers from severe pain due to his knee and spine getting a thin line crack from getting into a T-bone crash in the Nissan Kicks (a Mercury Grand Marquis hit him).

Briguy1027

Really, that's totaled? I'm sure that will buff right out!
Good to know how safe they are. I may look to get a second generation Rogue one day, as they'll probably
be pretty cheap and yet check quite a few boxes. The only thing is that some of he newest cars get
really good gas mileage. We'll just have to see.

Return to “Rogue Forum”