Rhys Millen, drifting the Pontiac GTO...

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
jdmfreak

It sucks that I live in NY.

annunziato39
Car: 1990 240 (auto) sold 1992 240 260,000+ miles (rip) 1991 240 (sold) 2007 Infiniti G35 sport 6-speed (Current)

yeah, being in NY really limits the amount of drifting events we can attend. Pro Events i mean. I think the GTO will do much better the more he drives it and... the more he breaks stuff. being the first one of its kind to drift and all. Practice makes perfect. i would love to see the US domestic market to acknowledge what an influence drfiting has become and (dare i say it) produce a balanced rear wheel drive car?!?!?

jdmfreak

I agree.

On a side note, I was in Rockland on saturday. There's some pretty fun roads out there. There also seemed to be an absence of cops around there so basically every1 was speeding on the way down. BTW I live in East Fishkill(about 40-45 minutes away form Rockland).

annunziato39
Car: 1990 240 (auto) sold 1992 240 260,000+ miles (rip) 1991 240 (sold) 2007 Infiniti G35 sport 6-speed (Current)

yeah, Sterling forest has some OBSCENE roads. People from all around NY, Jersey and PA come to drive their cars and Bikes on those roads.

whiterps13
Car: white LE hatch

its more about the driver than the car. although its almost painful to see that big banana sliding next to silvias and ae86's, i guess its his choice.

BB Turbo
Car: 2007 Nissan Titan KC, 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Well, right now its raining in h-town, and the weather report says its supposed to rain this whole week. This sucks, I want to go to the formula d show. ::sniffle::

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

The GTO has a lot of power, but out of the box it is heavy and handles rather poorly. I'm sure they have put it on a diet, and worked over the suspension on Rhys's car, but it starts out with a lot of negative traits. Not to mention Rhys might be accustomed to drifting his AWD Lancer EVO that he's been dragging out to the Drift events. It might be a bit hard to adjust to such a heavy car as well considering his Lancer was probably quite light.

DriftFactory
Car: Evil S13

That car wasn't even set up for drift. That was the Australian GT Holden with a new bumper!

gtune4
Car: toonah

he called it a bananna, hahahaha

nab911

I saw him drift it at the atlanta event... at first your thinking what is HE thinking... but the sound of a 350ish giving it hell and have control like the japs is amazing... and that semi drifting is posted in the multimedia forum.. check it out here its bad *** :)

marshun

rhys can drive. i dont doubt that he'll be a contender in upcoming events.

although i dont like the look of that car either. but if pontiac can sell some car's just cause of this, they come out on top. and so does rhys with his big sponsorship. :P

jdmfreak

I agree, but I kinda like the new GTO.

gtune4
Car: toonah

rhys would be licking my balls if i had the funding and track space/time he had, thats all i have to say. also, gto is sick, i mean the american(australian) car can drift sweet

Ghettokracker71

Th GTO is nothing special. Nor is the GTO drift car. For the money spent on the car purchase price,and modifications to it,like Gtune said alot better of a drift car could be built. They are already on their second LS-1. Did you read/see how much stuff they had to do just to keep the engine lubricated? Pretty gay. All that car is a Holden Maruna,big ****ing deal. Looks like a ****ty Grand Am anyway.

jdmfreak

I never said it was anything special. Hell I like 240s and they arent anything special either.

spec-u-later
Car: Yaris...FML

Wow, if it aint Japanese it aint ****. I love the mentality of some of you kids. Who cars if the're on the second engine. The Ls-1 is bad *** motor and you would be lucky to drive a car that has one. You have to remeber that this is the teams first attempt. They managed to cut over 800 lbs from that car and pumped it up another 70 hp. They still have to work with suspension geometry. It may not be as easy to flick around as and ae86 or an s13 but I have seen supras doing crazy stuff for years and those things are pigs. So it's ugly, most of the cars in D1 looked retarded with all the vinal and stickers. Don't be so narrow minded.:rolleyes

Ghettokracker71

I was raised on chevys,I could proble teach you about them. I built a 428HP small block 307ci (hybrid) for my Chevelle,wich acting as my first car when I bought it and started working on it when I was 14. I proceeded to sell it at age 16 to buy a Thunderbird with a swapped 5.0 EFI in it. Don't assume I don't like domestics jackass,just because I badmouthed one of them.

From the age of 14-16 I also worked restoring Brisith roadsters from a gentlemens private collection; This is what ultimately led to the selling of my domestic, V8 powered machines to a small,lightweight sporty chassis.

One of my all time dream car ultimately is a 1957 Volkswagen Beetle,export sedan. (I want to build a 2651CC Type 2 with scat crank,and bug pack heads. Dual 44IMF mukunis:))

Japanese cars aint everything.

Look at the facts willya? I know plenty of guys that drift the S-chassis car that haven't blown their DOHC inline turbo 4's( Also see:AE86,Supra). If the LS-1 is SOOO SUPERIOR why is it that they blew that thing under 15k miles? Thats all I am saying. I am also saying that the effort put out by GM on most of their products is shameful, pathetic and appauling. Look at the Equinox,its got a ****ing BOAT MOTOR thats a PUSHROD 4 CYLINDER in it,thats their new "hot ****" SUV while they old,dated ****ty *** Saturn Vue gets the GM/Honda V6. Just look at the new malibu....enough said there,lol. Aveo? Come on!

The GTO is a muscle car legend. To quote Jim Scouten(sp) "The GTO was not always the fastest on the track,it was definitely close though. The best thing about the GTO was it was always the COOLEST on the track,and the street." That was the GTOs image,the coolest looking,best interior...etc. muscle car. The classys mans muscle car. Not an australian cookie cutter looking car with a pontiac grill,taillights,and shiny exhaust tips. Look at the grand prix,and the grand am;Look how similar they are. The only way I can diffrenciate the two is the small "GTO LS-1" Badge on the fenders.

The Pontiac GTO of old ran true Pontaic Engines. They featured an extra bolt to the transmission bell-housing;Therefore considering by many stronger than the Chevrolet sibling. This car is powered by the LS-1,wich is Chevy as Chevy gets.

Gm did the most slack job they could legitmately get away with on this car,and its extremely dissapointing therefore classified as "not impressive" .

Sure its fast,if its not I'd be worried. The corvette engine in medium sized car,it better be ****ing fast.

I never said I liked The S13s,and AE86s on the drift track. Who said I even watch drifting? Those S13s,and AE86s don't come that ugly in stock form. How many S13s have been mistaken for Sentras? Maximas? Thats just like the GTO being mistaken for a grand prix or grand am IMHO.

jdmfreak

Well I agree with you on the mistaken identity thing, but regardless of what the old GTO represented the new one isnt too bad. I kinda think of it as the situation with the RX-8. They took a few steps forward, but then they took a couple steps back. They both arent able to live up to what they used to be. With that said, I would only get a GTO for a weekend car if that. I would rather get the newest best condition Trans Am if I had the choice though.

Ghettokracker71

It isn't a bad in the peformance category. But as mentioned earlier,any car with the power/weight ratio,esspecially being that its an LS-1 better damn perform decently. The interior is OKAY but I really dispise the fact that its almost ruining a 30 year heritage and following. As an avid fan of the old style GTO,this almost offends me that they put such a small amount of effort into it.

I think that the RX8 carries over alot from the RX7 though(unlike the GTO,lol.) The RX7 was super super light weight,wankel powered sports car. The RX8 is a super light weight 4 door sports car,powered by a wankel, lol. They just added a backseat and changed the engine:) (and took away the turbos:(....lol okay,well maybe they aren't that similar,shut up!)

jdmfreak

LOL!

spec-u-later
Car: Yaris...FML

Who cares about the Equinox or the interior or even the heritage of the GTO. I am just glad that they are even making an effort at this point. The American auto industry has been crap for years but i think they are making a turn around. It isn't great yet but they're working on it. I don't feal like making a dabate out of this so I will just say (and I know it's corney but,) at least they have made an effort and I am sure they will keep getting better.

jdmfreak

Oh most definately!

With the introduction of the new GTO, Crossfire, SR-T 4, HEMI/SR-T 10, Magnum, and a few other cars, I dont see them doing anything but moving up. Now is quality still an issue? Let just wait and see.

Ghettokracker71

I'll agree with "progress is moving ahead" but I would vote they have alot more to go. I am glad to see the domestics start caring again:)

jdmfreak

Yea I saw a black Magnum today with chrome rims. That was so nice and it sounded mean too. I wanna

jdmfreak

Yea I saw a black Magnum today with chrome rims. That was so nice and it sounded mean too. I wanna hear

jdmfreak

Yea I saw a black Magnum today with chrome rims. That was so nice and it sounded mean too. I wanna hear an

jdmfreak

Yea I saw a black Magnum today with chrome rims. That was so nice and it sounded mean too. I wanna hear an ex

jdmfreak

Yea I saw a black Magnum today with chrome rims. That was so nice and it sounded mean too. I wanna hear an exhaust

jdmfreak

Yea I saw a black Magnum today with chrome rims. That was so nice and it sounded mean too. I wanna hear an exhaust hooked

jdmfreak

Yea I saw a black Magnum today with chrome rims. That was so nice and it sounded mean too. I wanna hear an exhaust hooked up

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”