Rhd sr20det swap questions

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
thisisthenewsic

heyi have some questions for you guys that know much more than me about swaps.

i bought a 73 510 2 door.........the interior wiring harness is completely ripped out of the car and put into a bag.it looks like angel hair pasta.

i was wondering if my idea would worki know that when doing a swap the harnesses have to be merged together

would it work if i bought a sr20 front clip. with dash engine ect. to be able to put it into the 510.i know the dash would have to be modified to work.i was thinking i could use the rhd dash and convert my 510 to rhd. along with use the engine and chassis harness from the car to wire up the 510meaning i wouldnt have to go find a wiring harness for a 510..

i dont know if this would work or not so i thought id ask.in my head it seems like it will

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

If you're buying a complete half, use the wiring from the half and tap into whats necessary for the car. I bought the front half of a 2003 almera to get the QR20 for my wingroad and used the entire harness from the half. Had to change some clips as they were different but the harness worked.

akwikz
Car: 1973 Skyline

I see a few issues with your plan. First off, the body harness for a 510 is all of about 10 wires. It may look daunting with it all ripped out, but you'd be best off just buying a painless wiring kit (or the less expensive knock off) at about $150 and custom wire the car. On a 510, all you need for the body is headlights, taillights, and turn signals.

The SR20 harness is nearly self supported, as are all Nissan engine control systems. You can wire that in to the ignition or simply into a switch of it's own. No need to mess with the body harness from a car that had cruise control, computer controlled A/C, HICAS, etc.

Now, the RHD part. The short answer; no. I have converted a 510 to RHD, with actual RHD 510 parts. The components from the S13 will not work, at least not easily. The 510 uses ricirculating ball steering. The S13 is rack and pinion. The pedal box on a RHD 510 is different than a LHD one and again very different from an S13.

Anyhow, these are a few things you will need to consider.

Brian

thisisthenewsic

ok well i changed my plans on what i decided to doi plan on tearing down and rebuilding the ka24de. i can have the bottom end built for less than the cost of an sr swap so i plan to follow that route.

as far as the rhd. it was just an idea but im also not going with that ideakeeping it as is

as far as the wiring goesi heard from a few people on the datsun forums that you will need part of the stock harness with the painless kits. summit racing has the same thing as the painless. but its way cheaper.

i found a guy with a stock 71 510 harness for about 150 shipped to me.i was planning to go that route but heard that the harnesses varied by year. so im still trying to figure out exactly what to do.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”