RHD RB30 Build - update 6/20/13

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
J2fast
Car: 240sx

well i just wanted to share my build with my fellow RB peps. so not only am i building the motor but im also doing right hand drive conversion aswell. for the most part the RHD is complete well the body part but still need to do the wiring, the motor is coming together. im doing rb30 which its gonna be 3.1L with big turbo(S372) 1000cc injectors dual fuel pumps on E85. Full over haul, 1mm oversize valves springs retainers, port and polish. i have a blog i started so ill keep that updated aswell this post when get things do to car. my goal is 700-800whp. hopefully this will do good and last long time. the site is http://www.j2fast.blogspot.com

these are some before pic when it was an rb25 500whp

this what happen to the car when the 6th pistion blows.

here is some pic of the new block rb30

this is some pic of the head and diff in the porting

here are pic of the RHD conversion

here is the borg warner s372r that is going on the car

Last edited by J2fast on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.

J2fast

so i received my turbo but need to go pick it up an i will post pic on here an on the blog please stay tuned.

J2fast

no one has any comments on what you think about the build?????

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

lol I looked last time but the pics didn't show up. I see them now, did u punch a hole in the 25 block and the coil set something on fire?

Cjmartz2k
Car: Hunting for a '89 GTR now

J2fast wrote:no one has any comments on what you think about the build?????
Curious on the reason for the RHD conversion.

That's a pretty big turbo. I'll be very interested to see how it goes on top of the RB30. Should be fun :)

J2fast

Yellow4g63 wrote:lol I looked last time but the pics didn't show up. I see them now, did u punch a hole in the 25 block and the coil set something on fire?
it had a lot of blow by an the dip stick blew out and hit the turbo an cought on fire.

J2fast

Cjmartz2k wrote:
J2fast wrote:no one has any comments on what you think about the build?????
Curious on the reason for the RHD conversion.

That's a pretty big turbo. I'll be very interested to see how it goes on top of the RB30. Should be fun :)
the reason i wanted to do RHD is cuz i go to alot of car shows an it will put me in a diff class, plus ill get alot of attention. an its diff.

yea i know the turbo is not gonna fit im gonna either cut a whole in the hood or put some big spacers in there

mrflip69

Lots of great potential. Here's some questions for ya:

Sorry if I missed it, I'm assuming you're using the 25 head? Are the mounts any different for the 30 block or are you using the 25 mounts? Where/what specifics are you getting done to the head? (who makes the springs/valves/retainers... keeping hydro lifters?) What engine management?

That's definitely a gigantor turbo... but with the RHD, might have more clearance?

Also, any more pics of the import model? And LOL at her standing by the detailing supplies... could probably use her to dust your car! ;)

P.S. It looks like your car might've been saved, if it didn't have that turbo blanket. I had one catch on fire on my 25 briefly, due to a leaky fitting on my Holset, but luckily caught it in time before it did any real damage.

J2fast

mrflip69 wrote:Lots of great potential. Here's some questions for ya:

Sorry if I missed it, I'm assuming you're using the 25 head? Are the mounts any different for the 30 block or are you using the 25 mounts? Where/what specifics are you getting done to the head? (who makes the springs/valves/retainers... keeping hydro lifters?) What engine management?

That's definitely a gigantor turbo... but with the RHD, might have more clearance?

Also, any more pics of the import model? And LOL at her standing by the detailing supplies... could probably use her to dust your car! ;)

P.S. It looks like your car might've been saved, if it didn't have that turbo blanket. I had one catch on fire on my 25 briefly, due to a leaky fitting on my Holset, but luckily caught it in time before it did any real damage.
oohh sorry bout that but im using the rb26 head with BC 1mm oversized valves, springs and retainers. im using kelfold 272 cams. the mounts are gonna be a lil diff cuz of the block size but i dont know what im gonna do as far as what i using yet. im using power fc ecu with the car.

with it being RHD i can have a bigger DP (good for :chuckle: )

i have few more pic of diff models at that car show... the car is fine didnt mess up the are anything, luckily but not luckily i was at a gas station, hehe. the turbo blanket was gone tho saved my turbo..

Shocker
Car: 89 240sxHB rb26/30

As far as mounts/hood clearance, if you using a stock RB25 sump and Mack mounts.. you can get it to fit pretty decent. I ended up making some 7/8" tall solid pucks on Mack mounts. I have 1/16" of clearance from my sump to crossmember in an S-13. I had to shave my Rb26 aluminum cam cover, cut the supports out of the hood and it still barely touches with the timing cover on... its a tall b****. Now I believe an s-14 has a less sloping hood line, so you should be able to clear with above said mods.

Really there is no other way to get my RB30 to sit lower unless I go dry sump, or make/modify my steering rack/crossmember.

What are your goals for this car? This is a show/dyno queen? a Driver/racer or all of the above?

Nice heels too btw. ;)

J2fast

Shocker wrote:As far as mounts/hood clearance, if you using a stock RB25 sump and Mack mounts.. you can get it to fit pretty decent. I ended up making some 7/8" tall solid pucks on Mack mounts. I have 1/16" of clearance from my sump to crossmember in an S-13. I had to shave my Rb26 aluminum cam cover, cut the supports out of the hood and it still barely touches with the timing cover on... its a tall b****. Now I believe an s-14 has a less sloping hood line, so you should be able to clear with above said mods.

Really there is no other way to get my RB30 to sit lower unless I go dry sump, or make/modify my steering rack/crossmember.

What are your goals for this car? This is a show/dyno queen? a Driver/racer or all of the above?

Nice heels too btw. ;)
thanks for the tips... my goals are to get are 800whp(for dyno numbers, drive around on 650ish) but be a DD and next year get the body done and become a car show ready DD car. i will be racing the s*** out of it tho i love racing so you'll se a lot of vidz from me. and prob a lot of tuning vidz to cuz i love tuning cars on E85.

is your motors stock? what is ur setup?

Shocker

Not really stock some is. Check my build thread out here if you want. back-again-rb26-30-build-t533484.html

Cjmartz2k

The reason I asked about the RHD conversion is you will have a lot more room and could lower the manifold's flange with some hacking/welding. Stec who a few of you on here know fit a HX52 top mounted under his hood (S14) with no spacers. He did have to notch the hood frame a little though.

I'm not a big fan of RHD for the "cool" factor, but obviously I'm a little disillusioned to it being here. I guess if I didn't see it every day, it might be different.

J2fast

Shocker wrote:Not really stock some is. Check my build thread out here if you want. back-again-rb26-30-build-t533484.html
thats an awesome car. what state are you in? hows it running now? i wanted to run 9:1 comp but i couldnt find any at the time of my purchase.

J2fast

Cjmartz2k wrote:The reason I asked about the RHD conversion is you will have a lot more room and could lower the manifold's flange with some hacking/welding. Stec who a few of you on here know fit a HX52 top mounted under his hood (S14) with no spacers. He did have to notch the hood frame a little though.

I'm not a big fan of RHD for the "cool" factor, but obviously I'm a little disillusioned to it being here. I guess if I didn't see it every day, it might be different.
well that is a good point on the turbo mani. after all this hard work on the RHD i will not be doing it again i will buy one done if i do it again. i see a few S body but more skylines. which are highly illegal an dont want mines taken up. as far as a head turner thats what it will be. but b4 when i was thinking about doing it alot people didnt agree with doing it but, its one of those things that i had to do it to say i wish i woulda did it, you know??

Cjmartz2k

R32's will be 25 years old and legal for no hassle import into the states in 2014. Just sayin :dblthumb:

Shocker

J2fast wrote:
Shocker wrote:Not really stock some is. Check my build thread out here if you want. back-again-rb26-30-build-t533484.html
thats an awesome car. what state are you in? hows it running now? i wanted to run 9:1 comp but i couldnt find any at the time of my purchase.
Yeah your right, you have to design your own. :) If you ever want I can get you a set with the specs I used.

Honestly the car is running GREAT roughly 3k hard miles on it after the rebuild. I need to get back to the dyno since I recently made a new 3.5" turbo back exhaust, the car took another 5-10% VE from 4800-7000 rpm to maintain my previous 11.2-11.4 a/f. I might be going next week as long as the weather forecast stays nice. (my ET streets are pretty bald)

My turbo got so much more responsive with the ~.3liters of added displacement from where I was. I'm considering pushing the stock rods in the spring with some e85 and another ~8 psi. I will see.

How long do you think till you start her up?

J2fast

Yeah your right, you have to design your own. :) If you ever want I can get you a set with the specs I used.

Honestly the car is running GREAT roughly 3k hard miles on it after the rebuild. I need to get back to the dyno since I recently made a new 3.5" turbo back exhaust, the car took another 5-10% VE from 4800-7000 rpm to maintain my previous 11.2-11.4 a/f. I might be going next week as long as the weather forecast stays nice. (my ET streets are pretty bald)

My turbo got so much more responsive with the ~.3liters of added displacement from where I was. I'm considering pushing the stock rods in the spring with some e85 and another ~8 psi. I will see.

How long do you think till you start her up?
did you get your crank balanced? how big is you current turbo? u still on 20psi? you will love E85, i have not been back to pump gas since 2006( in sports car) the power and torque diff is def felt. im hoping to get her started in like 2-3 weeks im hoping to get motor in car by next week. i have it wired for LHD and now have to go back an rewire for RHD then wire the chassis aswell then that should be it, i hope.

Shocker

Cranks not balanced just pistons and rods. I run a PTE6765 cast wheels (its older) yes still at 20 psi boost cut is at 21 I'm running an internal map so I'm clapped out right now, until I get a gm 3 bar external.

J2fast

Shocker wrote:Cranks not balanced just pistons and rods. I run a PTE6765 cast wheels (its older) yes still at 20 psi boost cut is at 21 I'm running an internal map so I'm clapped out right now, until I get a gm 3 bar external.
what ecu u running? what rpm do u stop making power? im hoping to get mines to rev to 8500 or more

mrflip69

J2fast and Shocker, did both of you use the stock S-chassis crossmember, or swap in 1 from r32/r33?

Anybody know the actual differences between the RB30, 26, and 25 blocks? (could possibly just build a stroker from the others to 27/29?)

Shocker

Yes I'm using factory xmember, 30 block is an inch taller.

j2fast its all in my build thread. haltech ps2000 standalone

J2fast

mrflip69 wrote:J2fast and Shocker, did both of you use the stock S-chassis crossmember, or swap in 1 from r32/r33?

Anybody know the actual differences between the RB30, 26, and 25 blocks? (could possibly just build a stroker from the others to 27/29?)
im using the r33 gts crossmember which i believe is the lowest Nissan crossmember. the blocks are diff sizes from 30 and the 26/25.

J2fast

please go to my blog im having some issues that i need help on. like my turbo is not gonna fit by a long shot so i need some help with some bright ideas. Check out the progress on my RB26/30 http://j2fast.blogspot.com/

Shocker

Your gonna either need to cut a huge hole in your hood (not ideal) or get a new lower mount/ forward facing manifold. Dude you have an extremely custom setup ditch that manifold and get a custom one made to fit your setup.

J2fast

Shocker wrote:Your gonna either need to cut a huge hole in your hood (not ideal) or get a new lower mount/ forward facing manifold. Dude you have an extremely custom setup ditch that manifold and get a custom one made to fit your setup.
i was planning on ditching it but the funds started getting low( alot low) but i was trying to hold of until beginning of next year, but ive been looking at modifying the manifold.

J2fast

ok so for some updates, ive been trying to get my cams to in the head so it has been going back in forth to the machine shop, now that thats all good i cant find the shims i need.... does anyone have rb26 shims are know where i could get some from???? i really need some bad. i need big ones like 3.05 to 3.65

Ramius83
Car: 1995 240sx SE

For shims, I always use www.precisionshims.au.com.

J2fast

Ramius83 wrote:For shims, I always use http://www.precisionshims.au.com.
thank you. i put in a quote so i guess ill see how it goes. how long does it take to receive from over there? n prices?

J2fast

well im back an finally got things back going again, came to a stop due to couldn't find motor mounts and shims. so i got some shims( thanks to rawbrokerage). so motor is put together now. i drop the motor in the car and had issues with trying to get the tranny to line up( rb26 tranny). got that fixed. the i went to the local auto store n found the smallest mounts they had and they are gonna have to work. now im in the process of redoing all my plumbing, then i have to redo my wire harness for the RHD wire harness. ill post some pictures up when i get back to the shop tonight.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”