RHD RB30 Build - update 6/20/13

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
J2fast
Car: 240sx

RRRRB wrote:What are you doing with the rear end? R230?
im putting the Q45 rear in for longer gearing. what turbo are you using with your rb30 setup? what compression are you going to use? any head work?

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

I'm thinking of making the r230 rear end work.. bigger ring and pinion..
Right now I have a 6766 percision turbo.. not sure if ill change it for the 30. That turbo would be a mean b**** on the RB30. People have made 900whp+ with it..

I'd like to do 9:1 compression.. I already have a CNC ported rb26 head that was done at Endyn.

J2fast

RRRRB wrote:I'm thinking of making the r230 rear end work.. bigger ring and pinion..
Right now I have a 6766 percision turbo.. not sure if ill change it for the 30. That turbo would be a mean b**** on the RB30. People have made 900whp+ with it..

I'd like to do 9:1 compression.. I already have a CNC ported rb26 head that was done at Endyn.
Yes u prob could make it get to that hp range but with alot more boost or higher comp. that's why I went with a bigger turbo. Why don't u get the q45 rear. I actually have two of them your just need diff axles which is the hardest part.
On my last setup I only made 780 which is not so bad but I wanted to be in the mid 800's.

RRRRB

I'm not worried about more boost.. its going to be on good fuel anyways so what a few more lbs hurt?

Q45 rear is still a 200mm gear.. I hvae already broke a 200mm final

J2fast

RRRRB wrote:I'm not worried about more boost.. its going to be on good fuel anyways so what a few more lbs hurt?

Q45 rear is still a 200mm gear.. I hvae already broke a 200mm final
I only can go up to 36 psi that's my limiting factor.

But I heard the Q45 is a Lil bit more Beefer than the rest and plus I wanted the longer gears. What u using the car for?

RRRRB

Why is that your limiting factor?

Q45 has bigger stub shafts and axles.. but the internals aren't any stronger

My car is street/drag

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

the q45 diff is actually 'stronger' despite being an r200 unit, the pinion head and ring gear are larger units similar to those found on the gt-r.

J2fast

RRRRB wrote:Why is that your limiting factor?

Q45 has bigger stub shafts and axles.. but the internals aren't any stronger

My car is street/drag
I'm only on power FC which to get to 36psi was a pain to calibrate but if I did any higher I wouldn't be able to daily drive it very well.

Ooohh I'm using mines mostly for street but may take it to track every blue moon.

RRRRB

Your building a badass setup to make a lot of power.. your already going to be on fuel that can handle big boost.. yet run a power fc? Ditch that garbage and buy something better.. your going to miss out on power band because of a power fc.. seems dumb.. smaller turbo a little more boost.. less lag more torque more power band equals faster car.. peak power ain't s***..

J2fast

RRRRB wrote:Your building a badass setup to make a lot of power.. your already going to be on fuel that can handle big boost.. yet run a power fc? Ditch that garbage and buy something better.. your going to miss out on power band because of a power fc.. seems dumb.. smaller turbo a little more boost.. less lag more torque more power band equals faster car.. peak power ain't s***..

Yes I've been thinking hard on that and stuck on which ems to go with next but I'm stuck. But I'm thinking of building another rb30 but REAL high comp and see how that does with a big turbo

RRRRB

Carl H wrote:the q45 diff is actually 'stronger' despite being an r200 unit, the pinion head and ring gear are larger units similar to those found on the gt-r.
Just more material in the teeth? or larger in diameter? Any picture evidence of this?
J2fast wrote:
RRRRB wrote:Your building a badass setup to make a lot of power.. your already going to be on fuel that can handle big boost.. yet run a power fc? Ditch that garbage and buy something better.. your going to miss out on power band because of a power fc.. seems dumb.. smaller turbo a little more boost.. less lag more torque more power band equals faster car.. peak power ain't s***..

Yes I've been thinking hard on that and stuck on which ems to go with next but I'm stuck. But I'm thinking of building another rb30 but REAL high comp and see how that does with a big turbo
A couple points in compression wont make much difference in spool... at least not enough to build another motor towards it.

Ive got haltech platinum pro EMS and its been great so far, vipec AEM etc are all great systems though

J2fast

Just more material in the teeth? or larger in diameter? Any picture evidence of this?
J2fast wrote:

A couple points in compression wont make much difference in spool... at least not enough to build another motor towards it.

Ive got haltech platinum pro EMS and its been great so far, vipec AEM etc are all great systems though[/quote]

I've noticed a big difference between 8.5 and 10.2. But I'm trying to go to 10.5 or 11.

How do your like haltech over Aem if you ever used it

RRRRB

Ive tinkered with AEM but never tuned it, I like the Haltech its solid.. A friend of mine that has tuned lots of systems really liked the Haltech system... liked it better than the the AEM which he is very familur with as well..

I know it makes some difference but IMO it isn't worth the fact that it makes the motor pretty much dependent on higher octane fuel and isn't as easy to tune/forgiving on pump fuel..

I think a resonably sized turbo for your goals and higher boost is better all around for Torque and lag which your obviously concerned about.. your motor has already made impressive power... down size that turbo a bit, get a real EMS and crank that boost. Then you can drive it and run it... have you done much of that with this thing yet?

When the Government stops subsidizing Ethanol your gonna be pissed with 11:1... lol J/k

J2fast

RRRRB wrote:Ive tinkered with AEM but never tuned it, I like the Haltech its solid.. A friend of mine that has tuned lots of systems really liked the Haltech system... liked it better than the the AEM which he is very familur with as well..

I know it makes some difference but IMO it isn't worth the fact that it makes the motor pretty much dependent on higher octane fuel and isn't as easy to tune/forgiving on pump fuel..

I think a resonably sized turbo for your goals and higher boost is better all around for Torque and lag which your obviously concerned about.. your motor has already made impressive power... down size that turbo a bit, get a real EMS and crank that boost. Then you can drive it and run it... have you done much of that with this thing yet?

When the Government stops subsidizing Ethanol your gonna be pissed with 11:1... lol J/k
The gov already stop the subsiding I resell ethanol. It's not as cheap as it use to be. But I been thinking about haltech but the prices keeps going up gggrrr

I've had a Lil fun with the car but diff not as much I would like. I daily it alot but when it comes to racing something usually happens.

Carl H

aem v1 and v2 boxes bloooooooooow...infinity is pretty cool actually.
what version of the pfc are you using? i assume a rb26 djet box?

as far as the q45 final unfortunately i dont have any pics on hand but i've torn enough of them down to know for a fact they have larger pinion heads and ring gears, they have less teeth in favor of larger teeth.

J2fast

Carl H wrote:aem v1 and v2 boxes bloooooooooow...infinity is pretty cool actually.
what version of the pfc are you using? i assume a rb26 djet box?

as far as the q45 final unfortunately i dont have any pics on hand but i've torn enough of them down to know for a fact they have larger pinion heads and ring gears, they have less teeth in favor of larger teeth.
Yes I have the rb26 D jetro box. But yea I hope the Q45 will be enough for me cost arm n 3 legs for the parts

RRRRB

Carl H wrote:as far as the q45 final unfortunately i dont have any pics on hand but i've torn enough of them down to know for a fact they have larger pinion heads and ring gears, they have less teeth in favor of larger teeth.
interesting, makes me wanna try it, i bought a richmond 4.11 ring and pinion set for the R230 i was planning on installing.. got me second guessing Carl!!

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

There is a 1504 whp 2JZ S14 running a Q45 diff here in Chicago. I couldn't believe it but the guy has not had any problems with it in stock form.

J2fast

Darius wrote:There is a 1504 whp 2JZ S14 running a Q45 diff here in Chicago. I couldn't believe it but the guy has not had any problems with it in stock form.
What about the axles???

And I'm really trying to decided about the EMS

RRRRB

yeah i just don't like that ratio is the problem.. 3.69 at best is lonnnng.. Im betting the R230 wont be very hard to get in there

Booztd 3
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

Darius wrote:There is a 1504 whp 2JZ S14 running a Q45 diff here in Chicago. I couldn't believe it but the guy has not had any problems with it in stock form.
There must be more than a few of those running around. The only one I've seen has a 9" in it.....

J2fast

Booztd 3 wrote:
There must be more than a few of those running around. The only one I've seen has a 9" in it.....

Well I can't wait to put mines in.

So I test drove my car with new turbo n fmic. And at 23 psi it feels really good not as much tq but my mph is way higher than before. But diff a big diff in spool which should be from my s372 with an .84 AR an this new one. At 23 psi I get full boost around 5400 Rpms. And it keeps making more power past 8000rpms which the old one stopped at 7800. I'm loving it, at high Rpms

Carl H

the g50 chassis q45 final is even worse at 3.52...thats the one im talking about.
same 'gear set' sizing as the gt-r but in a r200 casing.
not sure about the newer q's as i havent had those open yet.

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

Booztd 3 wrote:

Is this the black one with the 5-inch aluminum exhaust heading out the passenger side fender? If so, that rear end setup is new this spring.

J2fast

so a lil update i had the car on the dyno but cant seem to get it to boost over 23 psi. i added more springs an same result. i bought an boost leak tester and it wont boost more than 1psi but i do not hear the leak. im out of ideas on this thing. i did an visual inspection numberous times tighten bolts but nothing new. have anyone had this issue ot any ideas?

RRRRB

That's got to a massive leak.. soap all your connections or use a smoke machine..

Did you take anything else apart.. like the itbs or anything?

J2fast

RRRRB wrote:That's got to a massive leak.. soap all your connections or use a smoke machine..

Did you take anything else apart.. like the itbs or anything?
the only thing ive done was turbo and intercooler. but i did tighten the intake mani to the head where some bolts were lose. this smoke machine, can you give me some more details on that?

RRRRB

make sure the boost leak tester is flowing alot of air... i made one and you can hear the smallest leak when its hooked up... you should being hooking up the tester to the inlet of the turbo (where the air filter connects)

Smoke machines are used to find leaks in Evap systems... we had one at my work.. im not sure if a smoke machine used for parties or whatever will work.. i would assume it would but it wont apply much pressure..

Your best bet is to use the boost leak tester.. i dont understand how you cannot hear it... make sure the air isnt regulated excessivly from the air compressor as well.

J2fast

RRRRB wrote:make sure the boost leak tester is flowing alot of air... i made one and you can hear the smallest leak when its hooked up... you should being hooking up the tester to the inlet of the turbo (where the air filter connects)

Smoke machines are used to find leaks in Evap systems... we had one at my work.. im not sure if a smoke machine used for parties or whatever will work.. i would assume it would but it wont apply much pressure..

Your best bet is to use the boost leak tester.. i dont understand how you cannot hear it... make sure the air isnt regulated excessivly from the air compressor as well.
Well I was using the boost leak tester but it won't build 1psi no matter how much psi the compressor is set at. That's why I can't hear it. But now I'm lost cuz I know it can hold 20psi on the dyno so I thought it would atleast make 5psi on the tester but not the case here

Booztd 3
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

Well where is the air going?

The way the boost leak test works is that it seals on either the back of the intake valves, or the front of the exhaust valves. Air always coming out the exhaust indicates a problem with an exhaust valve for example. Also pull your dipstick when you're doing the test and see if you've got a bunch of air coming out the crankcase. If you can't build any pressure and there's no boost leak connection (coupler, clamp, etc) thats noticeable then I'd start looking into the engine.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”