RHD conversion on Vert???

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
raxx

I just wanted to know if anyone have seen or done a RHD conversion on a convertible??

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

I am not aware of anyone that's done it. But, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do it.

There shouldn't be any major issues with 'vert that would make it different than the coupe or fastback.

Maybe little minor cosmetic things.. 1.) convertible up/down switch... it's in the gauge bezel.. i think it's supposed to be toward the center of the car so that a passenger could operate it if needed. If you swapped sides, it would be on the door side of you. No big deal though. 2.) The driver's side door has the controls for the power windows on both doors. If you swapped sides of the car, you would loose the control over the left door. That might be a little bit of a pain. Perhaps you could swap the controls onto the right side door and rewire it.

Hey... with the steering column on the right side... that RB26dett swap would be much easier!!

Give it a shot Raxx! Keep us posted with your progress. Sounds pretty cool!

raxx

Thanks for your Input Eikon.....

I'm not planning on doing the swap for a while anways... Money issues (currently building a top noch Computer in the mean time)

The swap should be done around tax return time (Hopefully)

I wish I could try to do the swap myself...but I'm lacked on tools and a garage for the mean time. So I might get someone to do it.

So far the price I got from him was 2400 for the front clip, 2500 for the sr swap, RHD and auto to tranny conversion.

What do you think about that price??

Sounds about fair? Compare that to other shops, from the sites that I seen. Their prices sounds like a big Rape in the A**.

And with the door situation.... I'm planning on gettin coupe maunal window doors. Considering that some drunk moron backed up and hit my door with his truck. My power windows are startin to come up slow, and I hate the thought of changing the window motor. Plus I rather have the manual coupe doors for the weight reduction.

Thanks

Eikon

Sounds like a pretty cool 'vert when you are done with it.

On the price... I am not an expert on SR's.. but the price of the clip sounds good. The install price sounds pretty high though.

But, there are a lot of different levels of work and parts to include, so I would have to ask many more questions.

I would think $1500 for the labor of SR install, dash swap, and tranny swap would be about right.

But, like I said.. there could be $1000 worth of parts included in that.. i just don't know enough to make a judgement on it.

Good luck with everything... keep us updated. Ask more questions if you want to.

Don't forget to search the forums... There are some pretty awesome experts on here re: SR swaps, convertible, RHD, etc...

e_c
Car: 1990 240sx

2500 for engine swap, rhd conversion, and auto>manual sounds pretty good, that would be 4900 out the door including everything... not cheap, but not outrageous, especially if you get him to wire the window switched correctly and some other minor things

drifther

Eikon

Drifther...

THANKS for the pics! That is an awesome car!!!

raxx

I likes!!!!

jdm_master_X
Car: 92 Nissan 180SX LHD!...LaWL

i am in the process of doing the RHD conversion myself. i have a front clip just sitting in my backyard.

what ive been told that needs to be done, and from what i see in the front clip, you need to relocate the ECU, brake booster + lines, master cylinder + lines, steering shaft, and a bunch of other crap to the opposite side of where its currently mounted. you will also need to cut a few mounting holes in your firewall.

ive been told that you can spot weld the front clip onto the car by drilling out the old spot welds, sliding the RHD clip into place, and then MIG welding the spots back for a firm weld between the car and clip.

can someone correct me on this?

Eikon

I don't like the idea of just spot welding the front end back onto a car.

When I am taking corners at high speeds while hitting bumps... I would shutter to think that my life depends on a few highly stressed spot welds.

just a thought.

raxx

Eikon wrote:I don't like the idea of just spot welding the front end back onto a car.

When I am taking corners at high speeds while hitting bumps... I would shutter to think that my life depends on a few highly stressed spot welds.

just a thought.
I wouldn't either!!

slownslurious

yeah especially on a convertible... flexy to start with.I dunno why you'd wanna do that anyway, I'd imagine most of the stuff would swap over without having to mess with the frame rails. I have heard people say that they have done it both with and without welding in the RHD firewall, which is probably the easiest way to go.

driftjunke

We cut the firewall out on all of our rhd conversion cars we've done. We are in the processof completing our vert right now. Can't really just make holes for the new stuff, really gotta cut the 2 firewalls out and swap the peices around. I'll get some pics of the S14 we just did.

E

daz1320
Car: '93 vert

well lets see 'em.

slownslurious

yeah thats my impression as well, the firewall has all the indentations and **** in the right places and I think taht would be hard to fake... and you would be left with lots of holes in all the wrong places.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”