RH Spindle Unit on 2018 Rogue Hatch making Noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

Just noticed this yesterday evening. When the automatic rear hatch is activated, the right hand lifting spindle is making a clicking noise while opening. It also makes the noise when closing, but not as loudly. Prior to this starting, the hatch lifted without this clicking sound.

This part is called a "spindle unit" in the service manual, but some of the online Nissan parts suppliers call it a drive unit - Nissan (90561-4BA4A). Is this a serivceable part?

I haven't really looked at it yet, getting ready to travel over the holiday weekend. I searched the forum and really haven't found anything related to this. Is this something to be worried about as in "imminent failure?" Fairly pricey part. Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Altair 4

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's not serviceable. We don't replace many spindles, they're generally pretty reliable, but clicking isn't a good sign. It generally means something is getting loose in the drive mechanism. However, I've seen them make noise for a long time before giving up the ghost. When it gets bad enough to affect the encoder readings, the controller will throw a DTC and the automatic lift will quit working. You can reset it by pressing and holding the "close" button on the hatch until the controller beeps, but once it starts throwing codes it will just get worse. Until it does, I'd say don't worry about it, just be prepared for it to quit at some time down the road.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

FYI for you and other readers, this is how the Rogue and most other liftgate spindles are constructed. Chances are the noises are coming from worn planetary gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp7MVOzGK6w

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

Thanks for the super speedy reply! That's very useful information - I'll wait it out. $350 or so for a replacement part.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Altair 4 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:44 am
Thanks for the super speedy reply! That's very useful information - I'll wait it out. $350 or so for a replacement part.
Yah, they aren't cheap, but I'm sure you can appreciate why after looking at that vid. What's inside is very sophisticated, and surprisingly reliable for the thankless duty it does over and over and over again.

Return to “Rogue Forum”