Rewire 98 se foglights independantly

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
RWDnot RICE
Car: Wheels

Does anyone know how or a site that has a diagram of bypassing the stck wireing so that the fog lights operate independantly of the headlights ?without getting an aftermarket switch..?i have a 98 se and the factory fog's won't tun on unless the main headlights are on. i know this is kinda stupid.

flip240

Here's a rough idea of what the fog relay does.... 1_2| |3 | 4

I think this is right...1) When relay is grounded sends power to both lights2) When power is sent to this, activates the relay (power is usually flowing through this with the initial setup)3) Ground (the parking switch controls this)4) Always on power from batteryThe relay always has power, but it won't work until terminal 2 gets 'signal' power from the car, and the relay is grounded at terminal 4

This is how it is on my 95 which used to turn on the foglights ONLY when the parking lights are on but the headlights are off, the foglights turn off when the headlights turn on. hope this helps, but i'm confused that your foglights turn on when the headlights are on, opposite of mine. yellow lights shine through water particles which is why fog lights are yellow. b/c the white light from headlights reflects back and blinds the driver, which is why they should be off when the foglights are working.

Anand

This is compleatly different but I got set of after market fog lights and didn't want to run the damn wires all over the engine bay and through my fire wall. I have a small hole for the amp wire but that is about the only thing that will fit through it. So what I did was just tapped into my parking lights and connected each fog light to the designated parking light on the side of the bumper. Works great! every time I turn my parking lights on, the fogs turn on...(which is what I wanted) I don't care if they are on all the time. pluss no wire mess in the engine bay nor did I have to run the switch into my cabin... I have had it on for over a month and I have had no probles at all (so far, knock on wood) =)~

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

flip240 wrote:Here's a rough idea of what the fog relay does.... 1_2| |3 | 4

I think this is right...1) When relay is grounded sends power to both lights2) When power is sent to this, activates the relay (power is usually flowing through this with the initial setup)3) Ground (the parking switch controls this)4) Always on power from batteryThe relay always has power, but it won't work until terminal 2 gets 'signal' power from the car, and the relay is grounded at terminal 4

This is how it is on my 95 which used to turn on the foglights ONLY when the parking lights are on but the headlights are off, the foglights turn off when the headlights turn on. hope this helps, but i'm confused that your foglights turn on when the headlights are on, opposite of mine. yellow lights shine through water particles which is why fog lights are yellow. b/c the white light from headlights reflects back and blinds the driver, which is why they should be off when the foglights are working.

Hmm that's odd. On my 95 they only turn on with the headlights, go off when in parking light mode or my brights are on.

flip240

Yeah, u could be right, b/c I didn't have foglights to begin with, but the foglight wiring harness is still there. When I initally wired my driving lights to the stock relay and harness, thats how it worked, maybe i wired something differently, but the whole purpose of foglights is to work w/o white light blinding you, so I thought everything was wired fine. Strange....

240SXer
Car: 1995 240sx SE (2jz powered)

I've got a 95 too any my fogs don't turn on unless the headlights are on too. I thought it would be nice for them to be independent also but it's no big deal if it's any trouble.

David.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”