Rev Limiter...is fuel actually "cut"?

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
AlcatrazT2
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 5AT

"The most antiquated and still very effective way of limiting engine speed is stopping Ignition spark to the cylinders immediately which in turn halts the engine acceleration, it feels like fuel is being taken from the engine so hotrodders coined the phrase "Fuel Cut"."

"Our cars have a "Soft" limiter which first retards timing a little, then more then cuts the ignition power (within a few milliseconds) this causes more of a surging feeling rather than a series of whiplash inducing jolts."

"Still another method used is the Throttle control method. Cars with Electronic throttles (in some cases) use the computer to close the throttle when it reaches its Rev Limit and this in turn creates another type of soft revlimiter."

Why do I post this?I have a 2006 5AT Sedan and never experienced the "pegging" phenomenon.Note, I've kept it at the rev limiter for about 3-4 seconds at 6800 RPM.

Someone on the forums originally stated that:"These are drive by wire cars, when limiter is hit, it simply shuts down the throttle. i.e. no different than you taking your foot off the gas."

Has Infiniti done some changes?

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”