Reupholestering the glove box and door inserts...some questions.

NICO's official source for Nissan upholstery, carpet, headliners, and trim information!
BadMojo
Car: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3

So, one of the cheap mini-projects I want to do this spring is reupholster my glove box and door inserts on my S13 in black vinyl (hey, I'm going minimalist on the interior) and I had a few questions.

I was planning on:

1) Removing the pieces and tearing off the old fabric. I'll sand the old adhesive off and try to leave the surface a little rough to get a good surface to bond my vinyl too.

2) Cut the vinyl a little bigger than the door panel or glove box, use some adhesive of some sort and then wrap the vinyl around the back of the glove box/door panel and staple it.

Questions: What sort of adhesive would be best to use? Would I want to find something that was slow to set? I'd be afraid that something like Permatex headliner adhesive would set up way to quickly.

Also, will a little heat need to be applied to the vinyl to get it follow the curves of the glove box properly?

RBpoweredSileighty

use 3m spray glue. its the same stuff used at high end interior shops.

Tweaker
Car: 240sx Hatch, SR20DET, Silvia Conversion, Wide Body Kit

Well I used 3M General Tim Adhesive-Clear to stick some vinyl to some seat brackets I was working on. It worked fine, but you have to time it correctly for it to adhere. Directions are pretty straightforward, just make sure surface is clean, spray on the adhesive to both surfaces you are gluing, allow to dry until tacky (1-3 minutes), and mate the sprayed surfaces together. It worked ok, but didn't bond in certain places. I would be careful with what you use because it can leave lumps on a smooth surface. I don't know exactly where you can buy it because I wasn't the one who purchased it, but AutoZone or somewhere may carry it.

vlow1210

I would like to get more info on doing the door panels. i.e. like you mentioned BadMojo, how to get the curves of door panels and glove box?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I've been messing with a spare set of door panels, and I can tell you it's gonna be almost impossible to reupholster them at home.

They're concave, which means you'll have lots of seams or cuts using a flat piece of fabric. The originals were "suctioned" on from the back (which is why there are small holes behind the vinyl).

I have decided to cut off the black vinyl (just on the door insert) NOTE - it's all one piece, covers the whole door - and then sand down the insert and paint it with some textured paint (like Zolotone).

It has a "grid" pattern embedded in the "board" which will need to either be sanded down or covered (the Zolotone is thick and will disguise it).

Zolotone, for those who don't know, is a thick, 2-color spray (like undercoating) used in domestic car trunks back in the day... Hides a multitude of flaws and looks pretty cool when applied right.

Return to “Interiors”