Retrofitting welcome lighting from Q70L to M37X (wiring isn’t working how it should)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
AJ170
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x

The light strip used is a switch back strip, there’s the white strip and amber strip. Normally you’d splice into the power cable for the foot well lights (for welcome lighting) and then splice into the power for a turn signal and then just ground it to the car but when Tyler (IG: focused_custom_lighting) did this the white light stayed on 24/7, even after the foot well lights turned off and the only power cable being ran is spliced right before the bulb of the footwell lights. In order to fix this Tyler had to also use the ground for the foot well lights but now when the amber lights try to turn on they stay off unless the foot well lights are on. So I turn my turn signal on and nothing but when I open my door they work as intended.

It seems that there’s always power going to the interior lights and in order for them to turn off it disables the ground while continuing to push power.

We spent over 8 hours trouble shooting this and can’t figure it out, any suggestions are much appreciated.

(Here’s a link of the lights working at night, the amber part is currently not wired up since it’s not working as intended. https://www.reddit.com/r/infiniti/comme ... ame=iossmf )

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Your problem is that on most Nissan products including your M, the BCM controls both sides of the courtesy lamp circuit. See INL-19 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2FINL.pdf

The high side of the circuit is the Power Saver, which kills the lamps after 10~20 mins to save the battery if the doors are left open. Unless that occurs, the PS is always "hot", which is why you get continuous 12V when you hook up to it using a constant ground. The low side isn't really ground, it's PWM'd to ground through an N-channel transistor to produce the "fade" effects when the courtesy lamps switch on and off. That means you can't use it for the turns because there's no ground when the courtesy lamps are off. The way around it is to use a relay to divert the black wire on the switchback to a live ground, either when the ignition is on or when the turn signal is active. If you use ignition then you'll get white except when you turn, just like a regular switchback DRL. If you use turn then you'll get white when the dome lamps are lit, out when the dome lamps and blinker are both off, and amber when you turn.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Switchback Welcome Lights.png

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”