Resurfacing the dual mass flywheel

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Just thought I'd drop this post as there seems to be a lot of misinformation on various sites about the stock dual mass flywheel.

Yes you can resurface it! No you can't just do the normal surface turn it will need to be jigged and surface ground, a bit more tedious and costly job and most shops aren't equipped to do this job so it will have to be sourced to a competent machine shop.

This does NOT shorten the life of your replacement clutch or increase the distance between the pressure plate and flywheel as the morons of the internet would have you believe, the entire surface is ground including the clamping surface.

You do not have to have your flywheel resurfaced when replacing the clutch. It's a good idea to at least hit the surface with a high grit sandpaper on a block to deglaze the surface, then clean with brake clean and slap it back together.

I just had to clarify as I was finding so much misinformation regurgitated and accepted as fact by keyboard technicians.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Good information.. Just so we're clear, you're referring to have both surfaces Blanchard ground versus put on a lathe and turned, correct?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

It could be blanchard ground but good luck finding a machine shop with a blanchard. I was referring to surface grinding, basically chucked up in a mill and the surface is milled with stones rather than actually being cut although if it's severely heat checked this is an option as well. Not sure what you mean by "both surfaces" the flywheel would be chucked to the machine using the friction surface not the backside, which is why you can't do the traditional turning which would chuck to the center hole which is sprung to the actual surface you want machined. Bottom line unless your flywheel is totally trashed you can walk it into a competent machine shop and have it resurfaced. Seems a lot of people keep repeating the same incorrect nonsense.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”