Restoring my dads old Q45 '90

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
coloradoq
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45

Hello All! super excited to be on the forums, it seems like they have been less active in 2021 just wanted to see if restoring my pops old 1990 q45 is even feasible.

Info as I know rn:

its an auto, but supposedly according to my pops it has issues with the transmission (unknown if electrical or mechanical). Its been sitting covered, but outside for about 3/4 years now. he also mentioned something about the electric system having issues as well. It doesn't start and is NONOP status and also needs a new cable electric harness.

Any tips or thoughts about this?

Is it even worth restoring compared to purchasing an imported q45 from Japan?

Hope everyone is doing well and had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

PS. I live in Denver so if anyone in the Denver area would like to get in contact respond to this post!

-Anton

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

Hi- welcome to NICO
Anything is possible, the question is what is it worth to you? If he's the original owner and it has sentimental value I get it.
If not, then I'll give you a dose of reality and say you've got a climb steeper than hitting the Eisenhower tunnel outta DEN on I-70 West.
Quick note: since model year '90 was the first, there were a lot of teething problems. Also some parts are unique to '90 vs. others.
But then again, some '90 owners believe those were the best offerings of the entire 90-96 run.

Ryantzer

As noted, you'll need to decide how much the vehicle is worth to you. Most OEM parts are discontinued in the US and need to sourced from Amayama through Japan or you'll need to find used parts. Most typical maintenance parts are available through the aftermarket sources but something like a wiring harness is likely going to be only through Amayama and will be very expensive.

Q45s were state of the art in 1990, and were less reliable than typical Japanese vehicles even when new. 30+ years later it will very likely need a lot done to it to make it into a reliable driver.

Transmission issues were common on Q45s, and it's recommended to install an auxiliary trans fluid cooler to help it out. I'm sure a decent transmission shop would be able to rebuild it, and some research on your part might be able to turn up the typical issue that causes it to fail.

That said, after purchasing it a year and a half ago I'm nearing the point where my 1990 Q45 will be running and driving again. I've replaced the fuel injectors, updated the injector harness, replaced every hose on the engine, completely resealed it other than the head gaskets & rear main seal, replaced the water pump, replaced the radiator caps & thermostat, replaced timing chain guides, upgraded to Bosch smart ignition coils, installed a NICO ECU, installed an auxiliary trans fluid cooler, replaced a window regulator, repaired the a/c control display, and made many other smaller repairs.

I worked at an Infiniti dealership in the early/mid 90s when these were sold new and have always loved the uniqueness of the bodystyle and the overall performance level of the car. With a 300 hp V8 (rated at 276 but stock engines were dyno'd at over 300) and the suspension from the 300ZX twin turbo it could embarrass most German sports sedans of the day. A Lexus LS400 would be far more reliable but not nearly as much fun to drive, nor have anywhere near the character of the Q. If that's something that's important to you, then the cost might be worth it.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO!

I think it depends on how much you really want to do the project. You can absolutely do it with enough time, money, and patience - but you have to decide how much you want to get her back on the road. If you decide to do it, there's a ton of information here. As others have already said, the hard part if finding the parts.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Q451990 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:38 pm
I think it depends on how much you really want to do the project. You can absolutely do it with enough time, money, and patience - but you have to decide how much you want to get her back on the road. If you decide to do it, there's a ton of information here. As others have already said, the hard part if finding the parts.
Big +1. There's a ton of expertise here to get you through the bumps, but if it's just going to be labor and not a labor of love, then it'll get half-done or done half-a$$ and wind up being someone else's barn find. You need to have that fire in the belly, and if you don't, then don't even start. If you do, then just keep that image in your mind of it gleaming on a trailer, headed off to kick some concours butt. Eye on the prize, share the pics, and we'll all pitch in most happily to help you get there.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

My dad had a 92' that he bought in like 96' from buddy with low miles. He put about 75k on the car, luckly for him he bought an aftermarket warranty and that company lost a lot of money on that deal. He ran that car until 2006 when he sold it to a guy and three days later the timing chains blew out. Since my dad was a nice guy he gave the guy a refund and the car went to the junk yard with a blown engine. This is the first thing you would need to replace but the coil packs, knock sensors are all probably end of life and the cat converters would be a big issue I would worry about too. these would for sure be more than the car would be worth.

sandydennis11
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45 176k miles
purchased new in 1995

You have good intentions and if you have mega bucks this could be fun.
Especially looking for parts.
20 grand easily to keep this running.
I have a '96Q bought new with extended warranty and still have put $27,000.00 into it. Many parts are not even available out of Japan.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Yup agreed, plus when the cat converts go holy crap!

Ryantzer

sandydennis11 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:02 pm
I have a '96Q bought new with extended warranty and still have put $27,000.00 into it.
$27K over 25 years isn't unreasonable at all. Assuming you had an extended warranty that covered most repairs for 5 years after the factory 3 year warranty expired, you would have had minimal repair expenses for the first 6-8 years. That means you've actually spent $27K over 18 years which is only $1500/year - that's a pretty cheap car payment.

sandydennis11
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45 176k miles
purchased new in 1995

Correct, that $27 grand is very reasonable and I have no money worries as money is never an issue with me.
For that young man , it would be absolutely insane to keep that Q.
I also have a 2006 LS430 which parts will be available for the next 20 years and have had zero issues since 2006.

Infiniti totally screwed up not taking care of their products .
The first I owned a '92Qt had 3 transmission replacements..... BUT did hold up very well when someone rear ended it at 62mph with no injuries or fires.

Infinitiace1992
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45t KH1-C Ivory Quartz w/beige interior

I spent over one year and $12,000 not to mention tons of frustration restoring my “91” Q45t but I must tell you, I Absolutely adore this car. It’s an absolute pleasure and joy to drive. I get more pleasure driving this over any other car I own. To me, it’s a nostalgic thing. It will be maddening trying to find some parts and it will be expensive and there will always be something else needed Look at its restoration as a hobby. Don’t buy it as a daily driver and don’t think you’ll turn it for a profit Do it for the love of the heritage of the Q.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”