Restoring clouded headlights

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
TimelessClassic
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Hi,

My G35's headlights are clouded and need to be cleaned/restored. There is a generic car wash place that does it for $30, but I'd like to know if there are places that might do a better job that would not require frequent restoration. What do the experts recommend?

Thanks!

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Howdy!

There are some very good options, and some cheap, but still effective options.
The correct way is to pull off the lenses, sand them down, and reinstall.

However, you can also grab brake fluid and a rag and rub the exterior of the headlights. It'll work for about a month or two and then you'll have to do it again when needed. However, it is a very quick option that costs little to no cash.
Just remember to not get any brake fluid on your paint!!

TimelessClassic

Thanks. I know I won't be careful with the brake fluid. What are the options to have someone else do it and what is a fair price?

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

$30 sounds pretty fair to me. However, I'd ask what their method is.
For about 5-10 bucks more, you can buy the headlight restoration kit from Mothers (available at autozone or amazon) and have it for many more applications rather than a one time deal.

TimelessClassic

frapjap wrote:$30 sounds pretty fair to me. However, I'd ask what their method is.
For about 5-10 bucks more, you can buy the headlight restoration kit from Mothers (available at autozone or amazon) and have it for many more applications rather than a one time deal.
Thanks. What would a good method?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Some people are spraying OFF insect repellant on a terry towel and rubbing them down to get the yellow off. Seems to work from what I've seen. I've never had that issue myself.

E=MC2
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

You can do this yourself and it'll actually last 5 years or more, for the same price.

You need 600 grit sandpaper, 1200 grit, and 2000 grit - all wet or dry paper, you can sand by hand. You also need a can of non yellowing clear coat that works with plastic, and that is resistant to UV rays. Several different brands make it.

It's best to remove the headlights but it can be done on the car, just tape off the paint really well around the light. If the lights are in terrible shape you can start with 400 grit, but 600 usually works fine. Use a spray bottle with water and soap, dish soap works great, it lubricates the surface and helps from making deep scratches. Make sure it stays wet through the whole process. Using the first grit I sand horizontally, scratches will form and if they're all the same direction it is easier getting them back out with the next grit. Don't push too hard with the first sand.
Go to the next grit 1200.. you can use a little more pressure this time and again keep the headlight and the paper wet. Sand vertically and try to get rid of the previous grit scratches.
Final sand with 2000 grit. Again keep it wet, sand horizontally (I think the clear sticks better with horizontal scratches) The scratches with this coat will be very, very fine.

Clean with soap and water, and dry thoroughly before you begin spraying clear..
Three coats of clear will last a long time, any haziness left from the sanding will clear up and the lights should look like they did when the car was new. When the third coat is dry put on a coat of wax.
I have used this method with several cars and it has lasted years. I also make furniture and on dining tables after the polyurethane has dried I use the 2000 grit and wet sand the table to give it a polished look, followed by wax.

Hope this helps, I've used other methods that you buy in stores and it lasts half a year max before it starts turning yellow or hazy again.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”