Restoring 2003 M45- help needed

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
ryoung
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

So I just brought a 2003 M45 that was sitting for about 2 1/2 years from a friend of mine. I having 3 issues

1. It had a bad power steering pump. I changed the pump and found it had a leak in a return line. Replaced the line and then I found it was still leaking. Found out that it was coming out the resovir after the car was turned off. I replaced the resovoir and now a new leak. still searching for the new leak

2. ABS, slip and VDC lights have always been on. I replaced brakes and rotors all the way around and the front drivers hub and wheel bearing. Still getting the light. I hooked it to my reader which pulls ABS lights but it won't read it. I read somewhere that this year ABS module won't read on a code reader. Is that true? any ideas?

3. It doesn't start right up. Not a starter issue though. It literally does nothing and I have to turn the wheel and play with it for a bit to get it started. This happens about 60% of the time.

Thanks for any help

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Sounds to me like it has some significant electrical gremlins, possibly accident-related.

Test battery voltage both off and running. Remove and clean ALL grounding points (can also cause the issues you're seeing).

PS reservoir overflowing is an odd one... wondering if the feed line has a blockage or restriction.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I second the cleaning of grounds. You'd be surprised how much stuff relies on a nice clean ground. I do it every 2-3 years as regular maintenance.

JOHNQ
Car: 99Qt
02 Q
03 M

ryoung wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 pm
So I just brought a 2003 M45 that was sitting for about 2 1/2 years from a friend of mine. I having 3 issues

1. It had a bad power steering pump. I changed the pump and found it had a leak in a return line. Replaced the line and then I found it was still leaking. Found out that it was coming out the resovir after the car was turned off. I replaced the resovoir and now a new leak. still searching for the new leak

2. ABS, slip and VDC lights have always been on. I replaced brakes and rotors all the way around and the front drivers hub and wheel bearing. Still getting the light. I hooked it to my reader which pulls ABS lights but it won't read it. I read somewhere that this year ABS module won't read on a code reader. Is that true? any ideas?

3. It doesn't start right up. Not a starter issue though. It literally does nothing and I have to turn the wheel and play with it for a bit to get it started. This happens about 60% of the time.

Thanks for any help
I'm experiencing the exact symptoms on my y34 2003 m45 except my ps is fine. Have you figured out the abs/tcs issue and the intermittent starting issue?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Ilya wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:00 am
I second the cleaning of grounds. You'd be surprised how much stuff relies on a nice clean ground. I do it every 2-3 years as regular maintenance.
Yes, and the ABS will have its own, dedicated ground lug, usually someplace on the frame right near the ABS. Wisely, Nissan keeps that critical ground path fat and short, but it is exposed to the road and rust never sleeps.

JOHNQ
Car: 99Qt
02 Q
03 M

Ok. I fixed 2 of your issues on my 03M. Issue #1 didn't occur in my vehicle.
Issue #2 was fixed by replacing both front abs sensors. I also replaced my abs pump with a used one prior but I was still getting the abs, slip and vdc lights.
Issue #3 was fixed by replacing the camshaft position sensor underneath the vehicle. I was getting that intermittent starting problem but what made me change the sensor was that the car just stalled out on the interstate and would not start again after 30 min on the shoulder while waiting for a tow that never arrived. This also happened to me about 10 yrs ago and I had to replace the crankshaft sensor at that time. Both times the check engine codes indicated which sensor was bad.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”