Restoration and other stories

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
kenbagby

My story starts in 2000. About the time my wife and I got ready to head out for a trip to Europe I found an NL 320 on Ebay in Kalifornia (the other side of the country from me) I tried to talk my then 15 year old son into a restoration project. He took one look and said he wasn't interested. The truck sold for $650. A couple of years later he was looking at a Toyota that had been lowered and the guy had it advertised locally. When we went to look at the truck he said he wanted more money because now it was running! I had found a 320 in Knoxville and asked him if he wanted to tackle it. The day we arranged to get a tow dolly I drove him by the Toyota and gave him one last chance and he decided we were going to knoxville. We picked "lil-dat" up and brought her home (paid a lot more than the one on ebay). When I started checking parts available I realized this wasn't going to be a daily driver for a 16 year old so we got him something else. Dat has sat in the barn since while I tried to find various parts. Early this fall I decided to get her ready for paint and body work (gave up trying to weld pinholes in the bed, decided I'd lost all welding skills I had in high school). Pulled trim and this past week decided to pull the seat and floor cover as well. I am glad I did. Whoever had it before me had attempted some repairs using fiberglass but left whole areas with holes in the floor. I was disappointed to say the least but at least I know and hopefully the body shop can weld her back up tight as a drum. I hope to send her to them the week after Christmas. You've all seen the before picture. I hope to have some beautiful after pictures to show you in January. Ken

71-521

Pictures, Boss, Pictures!:D

Post 'em all up for us to see!

Pac. coast Datsun

[font="georgia"]I've owned my 65 L 320 for a little over 1 year now. I bought it from a person i worked with. He told me about this "piece of junk" in his backyard that he wanted gone. He originally told me it was a 66 & i was very interested because at the time i wanted a 520. I arrived at his house to see the 65 with junk piled up in the bed & rats living in the cab, it had been sitting for 8 years untouched. The truck was his grandfathers & when he passed it was parked so I am the 2nd owner. Nothing was missing from the truck, not even the mouldings , it even came with a chrome air cleaner , valve cover, & oil filter cover! So after giving it a tune up and 20 tries it fired right up! It runs great & turns heads every time i drive it, the only issue now is I have a few leaky gaskets that need replacing.
day one...
[real=320,256]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... 010186.jpg[/real]
i primered it & lowered it 4 inches...
[real=320,256]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... 240035.jpg[/real]
ive since primed the top black...
[real=320,256]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... 28side.jpg[/real]
& added a few spikes...
[real=320,256]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... spikes.jpg[/real]
heres th emotor after i painted it semi gloss black...
[real=320,256]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... ainted.jpg[/real]
[/font]

kenbagby

Wow, yours is beautiful. Which gaskets are you needing? I'll check what I have to see if there are part numbers. If I remember right, most of the J-13 engine parts from the 520 will work including gaskets. I can't wait to get "lil-dat" on the road. I've driven her up an down my 2-lane several times just to keep things loose. But I think the shocks were original 63's and worn out. I can't wait to see how she drives with the new Mustang Air shocks on the rear and the 520 remakes on the front. Sure isn't squeaking any more when I give her a shake. I'm even considering another $100 for an air shock control unit from JC Whitney's so I can raise and lower at will. I will be taking the reinforcement spring out of the rear springs to soften the ride. Don't plan on hauling much after I get her on the road. Just wonder if there is an air conditioner unit available. Here in NC 'lil dat" is a fair weather car. 2000% humidity at 100 degress = no fun!

Pac. coast Datsun

[font="georgia"]Well I know the crankcase cover gasket needs replacing for sure. I may also need an oil pan gasket, there was oil all over the bottom of the engine before i cleaned it up. Also theres what appears to be a big bolt on the bottom of the tranny that has a little buildup of oil on it. Any info on part #'s or if you have any for sale would be great!
[/font]

kenbagby

Are you talking about the drain plug for the tranny? I thought at first mine had a rear main bearing seal problem or front clutch shaft seal. After putting cardboard under it I have found that the plug is leaking. I plan to spend a little quality time under it this Saturday with some oil resistant teflon tape to see if I can get the leak to stop. I checked and there are some gasket parts for the J-13 which should fit at https://www.rockauto.com/applet3.html

You might also check with the forklift company I posted on the parts links forum. Either way if you find a source please post it. I'm wondering about valve tappets???????

Here's another page to give you some inspiration!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/534452

IMH

[user=1]kenbagby[/user] wrote: [quote]............. Just wonder if there is an air conditioner unit available. Here in NC 'lil dat" is a fair weather car. 2000% humidity at 100 degress = no fun![/quote]

I'm still looking into that.   Among other things, I'm a liscensed MVAC tech which came out of necessity since I couldn't find anyone that really wanted to work on my old R12 cars (78 280Z and 79 810 2dr.).  The main problem I find on the earlier Datsuns is where to locate a compressor.  The other things, condenser, receiver/drier, and the unit itself wouldn't be too much of a problem. 

kenbagby

IMH keep looking and let us know what you find!

Pac. coast Datsun

[font="georgia"]Ken i saw everything i need for the 320 on rockauto.com thanx for the link. They dont list parts for the 320 but the 520 instead. As you mentioned before, if the J series parts are the same I can get all my gaskets at a reasonable price. :cool:
[/font]

NL320what
Car: 63 NL320 4x4, 04 Yukon, 13 Chrysler 200t

Back in 8th grade which would be '94 for me, I was driving in the Carmichael area of California and I seen this really pretty truck on a car lot right near the road.  As we came up on it, it didn't get any bigger as you think it should.  It was super tiny for a truck.  It was candy apple red and 100% immaculate, I litterally told my mom who was driving that I will someday get one of those.  Now that I look back, it was a 64 L320 truck fully restored.

Now, I was surfing on Ebay one day and about a year ago I seen this neat little truck for sale cheap and it was pretty close to Sacramento, in Rio Linda to be exact.  I bid and bid on it and called that guy on the phone before auction ended.  It only got about $1000, reserve not met yet.  I told him I have $1500 cash and I'm coming to get it.  Its my 63 NL320 truck.  It was complete and ran great.  I actually drove it home and tinkered with it alittle bit.  I ended up driving it for about 3 months and had literally tons of people ask me about what the heck that is.  I am use to people coming up to me about all my cars, but this was strange cause nobody seen this before.  One guy that I talk to and his words stuck in my head ever since, he said " if that was my truck it wouldn't be quiet, it needs to be loud and have attention."  so that brings me to the current day NL320 which has a 5.0HO roller motor converted to carb with Edelbrock goodies, backed currently with an HD Borg and Warner 4 speed, going into a 8.8 posi rear end.  It needs driveshaft shortened.  Donor car was a 86 Mustang GT HO and an 84 Capri 5.0HO.  The rest is stock and my plan is to Monster Garage it basically to appear as stock.  I will have to fill in the rest of my plans as I go, cause a few things I am selling as custom parts for these little DAT'S. 

kenbagby

"lil-dat's being picked up tomarrow to go to the body shop. I can't wait. If I can get some pictures I'll post. :):):):):):)!!!!!!!

Pac. coast Datsun

[font="georgia"]Ken, i wonder if the body shop would allow you to stop by & take some progress pics.
[/font]

71-521

yes...pictures...more pictures!:shock:

kenbagby

"Lil-Dat" was picked up today. Glad I was sitting down when they gave me the estimate. Yes, I'm going to get before and after pictures! The main picture above is a general shot of what I started with, but I took out the seat and floor mat and almost lost it over the rust in the floor pan. Sure wish this had been a kalifornia or Arizona truck! The folks at Affordable Body assure me that when they get done she'll look like new, and judging from some of their earlier work, I think we're in good hands. :)

kenbagby

Here are the before Pictures at the body shop!

All rust will be ground off, holes welded and repaired, when body work is complete they will anti rust coat her then primer and start painting. I chose Candy Apple red for inside and out. They will remove the glass before painting and when I pick it up it will be dropped off at the glass place to reinstall with the new window gaskets. I dropped the seat off today to get it reuppolstered. The seat will be white with red channel inserts (like the old mustangs) on driver and passenger side. Also found out the upolsterer is an "old vehicle lover" and has a good supply of the old time interior and exterior trim clips, whoo-hoo! I have had the hardest time trying to run down the mid eighties Ranger vent window gaskets. For some odd reason Ford made them obsolete parts in 99. I had always been told car companies had to make replacement parts for 20 years after manufacture. So much for that. I am going to check Mazda next since they were pretty much the same truck. I'll post the parts numbers later. If anyone has any leads for the vent gaskets I'd appreciate the help. I also hope to get over to the shop while they're working on it and get a few shots. I will say they seem to be overly anxious about getting the key. I sent it without battery because the battery box needed some repair work. I think they just want to drive it around!:D

kenbagby

It's only allowing me to attach one picture at a time so here goes

kenbagby

I started not to remove the seat but was glad I did judging from the floor rot and previous fiberglass repair!

kenbagby

more floor rot

kenbagby

Worst of the floor

kenbagby

Bed is full of pinholes to be welded

71-521

not as bad as I thought...oh, just a fyi...if you need a new gas pedal pad...order a roadster one and either file down the outer curved parts of your pedal or strech out the rubber slowly to fit it...they look real nice!

kenbagby

Whoo-hoo! They've got her inside and have started work! The next few pictures are as of today January 10,2006. There was a minor amount of cancer above the rear fender well which the picture doesn't show and both kick panels under the doors will be rebuilt because the previous owner, used galvanized (duct work) and fibered over the top. I've got dad, son and uncle working on this and they all seem to appreciate how special this little pick-up is!:cool:

kenbagby

Pretty solid tail, but some fiberglass at the top. I've told them remove, and use metal if possible.

kenbagby

Passenger side solid as a rock!

kenbagby

Ok the battery went dead on my camera so this is the last one. They took a hammer and shoe and "righted" the top of the cab. They said they enjoyed the sound of bondo hitting the floor. I checked it out and it looks fairly stright an no holes. They're keeping bodo to a minimum because they know this is one of the last NL320's in the US. So far so good. Just hope they continue to be so focused on putting "Dat" back to right. I've picked out Cherry Bomb Red for the color because a lot of the trim and bumpers were already painted black. The seat I haven't checked on but it will be red with White roll and pleat inserts on driver and passenger side sort of like the old 60's Mustangs.

71-521

Sweet!

Do you need more batteries sent your way?:D

kenbagby

No, just have to make sure #1 son doesn't borrow the camera before I get it and run the battery down!

Pac. coast Datsun

[font="georgia"]Ken she's lookin good ! Glad to see these guys appreciate how rare your truck is. Have you picked out a color yet?
[/font]

IMH

Some shots of my newly installed side trim.  I just recently purchased the one for the left front fender from Parts4fix on eBay.  He's parting out a 65 L320 and was kind enough to remove the trim from a fender he has listed and sell it to me.  I had the other three pieces but it took a while to find this one.

IMH

Another shot:

Return to “Datsun 320”